back again but with fibromyalgia

Options
HI all,
after a two year absence I am back to try again. this last year has been devastating, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and am in constant pain. The main goal for me is to track my eating habits and my exercise with hope of losing weight. movement does not come easy and I am winded, exhausted and in severe pain after every session.
Good luck in all your dreams.:smile:

Replies

• sharrrina
    sharrrina Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have been dealing with Fibro for about 10 years or so myself. I understand. Good for you for trying to stay active and healthy!
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am also dealing with Fibro (for about 6 years now). Add me if you would like...we can help motivate one another!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've had fibro for decades and it's miserable. CFS goes along with it among other issues. I've found that weight training is the best thing for it. I know that sounds odd but it works for me. Not totally. I often am so sore and painful I can hardly move. But, here's the thing: If you don't exercise and get to a good weight, you'll get to where you can't move or function. The key with fibro is to keep moving, working through this horrid pain.

I have a cain in the car, one in the bath and one by my bed ---just in case. I've not had to use them for about fifteen years because of exercise. I hurt most all the time. But I have learned to live with it and take a nice afternoon nap. That helps too.

You're in the right place to get back into shape. And you'll be just fine.
  • PMeola
    PMeola Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia just 2 months ago. I'm 51 years old, and I've been dealing with chronic pain for almost 5 years in my neck...now it's throughout my body. The best thing that I did was join the YMCA and hire a personal trainer. I hired the trainer so that I don't hurt myself. I tend to overdo things as I am also an over achiever.

Thus far, I've had 10 one-hour sessions with my trainer, and she has designed a workout plan for me that keeps me motivated and keeps my neck protected. I do have to say that I have more energy now than I did prior to my joining the Y. I used to be an exerciseaholic (is that even a word?) for almost 25 years, and this pain has taken a toll on my mind and body. I have a complete home gym, but my fear is doing too much and hurting myself...the cost of a trainer is something that I know will be a great investment for me in the long run.

If you drink any diet soda's, I would recommend getting off of them and any aspartame products. I've found that aspartame triggers more pain. Stick to water and herbal teas if you can.

I do feel your pain (literally), and I do wish you every success in obtaining all of your health, diet, and workout goals!!!
  • KLWELL400
    Options
    HI all,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and sharing your stories of our shared horror. I call it a horror because I am so tired of people NOT understanding why I cannot do things like they do. Hopefully I will be able to do more in a few months. Please feel free to add me as a friend, we all need the support.
    Thanks and gentle hugs.
    Kari
  • KLWELL400
    Options
    HI,
    I have not had but maybe two sodas in three months, never was a big soda drinker, I don't use products with aspartame, nor do I use real sugar (hubby is diabetic). I live in the middle of no-where Arizona and it is hard to get to the indoor pool (50 miles away) and but I am started to use the Wii again, slowly. Before the hospital gave me the drug levequin I was working out for 2 hours a day. I miss that, now I get winded after thirty minutes.
  • KLWELL400
    Options
    Just a little update after 3 months...17 pounds lighter, inches of the waist and hips.....back to 90 minute a a day workouts....constant pain level is a 8 instead of the 11 of three months ago. I have had days of fibro fog, even forgot to do a daily assignment for class until last minute. This past weekend was a horrid one, I had such anger and hatred at everything and everyone. One minute I wanted to punch someone the next I was wanting to crawl in the corner and bawl my eyes out. Started to take my Trazodone nightly now instead of when I need it and my mood is improving. I even had to turn my paper in late for class because during the episode I erased all 1000 words of a 1050 word essay. Thank for all the support and I hope I return it in kind to all of you. God Bless
  • luwalmsley1983
    Options
    I just had to post to congratulate you. 17lbs is a great achievement. I have a close friend with your condition so whilst I thankfully haven't experienced the pain I have seen someone go through this. I really wish you well on your journey. Good luck (you may friend me if you like). X