McDonald's-Healthier menu choices

Options
My son's football team is doing a fundraiser at McDonalds. Dinner there tonight....Any ideas of healthier choices? Been good all day, so don't want to blow it now. Also, want to enjoy dinner with my kids and friends. Thanks for any ideas

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    IB4 all the haters.

Grilled chicken is always a winner! Look at their website before you go so you can see the nutritional info.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Grilled chicken salad w/o croutons and only a little dressing (depends what kinds are available)
    Go for water or fruit juice cut w/ water instead of sodas and pops.

I also like the wraps with grilled chicken....

Or, if you crave a burger- either go for the grilled chicken or beef, toss one part of the bun and scrape off excess sauce and cheese. side salas instead of fries.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My go to item at McD's is the bacon ranch salad with grilled chicken (230 cal) and 1/2 packet of ranch dressing (85 cal) with an unsweet iced tea.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The McRib!

Kidding.. I heard they have good salads. Find the one with the grilled chicken and go easy on the dressing.
  • latinahada
    Options
    The Classic Grilled Chicken Sandwich has 350 cals and it's super tasty!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Grilled Chicken Salad?
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would go to their website and look at the calories per item, that should help make your decision. But the grilled chicken or grilled chicken salad are winners!
  • chefchazz
    Options
    eat before/after.....
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    According to "Eat this, Not That":

McDonalds- eat Quarter Pounder NOT Premium Grilled Chicken Club

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2008-01-20-eat-this_N.htm

http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/menu_items/quarter-pounder
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken salad or some wraps. If you have to have a burger, get a small one, try losing the bun and stay away from the fries. Check out the nutrition info before you go so you know what you can/should have. http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    eat before/after.....

Sure the kids would enjoy that...sigh
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would check the website and see what you would like to eat that will stay within your calorie range - if you move the mouse over the food items it gives the nutritional info - if you want to be healthy get a reg saled not one with alot of extras ie: chicken those ones have more calories then some sandwiches - also watch your drinks a mocha frappe has 20gm fat and 450 cal where a a Iced coffe is 140 cals a 5grm fat -i guess that is if you drink coffe ;) a sweet tea is 150 cal and no fat
    good luck and enjoy yourself
    http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/full_menu_explorer.html
  • brandeejean
    brandeejean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken and Paul Newman's Southwest dressing. Or even just a hamburger and a side salad.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Whenever I know I'm going to be eating out I plan ahead...I have a whole list of menus bookmarked on my computer and I choose my meal and log before I even leave the house. Here is the meal builder for McDs:
    http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/meal_builder.html

Good luck and have fun!

LLAP :flowerforyou:
  • JU_CFRUIT
    JU_CFRUIT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    yes i just tried their new premium grilled chicken club no mayo, it very tasty
  • klutzydreamer
    klutzydreamer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I generally have limited options there due to my vegetarianism. I get their Southwest Salad with the dressing, no chicken on it. For protein I generally get a fruit and yogurt parfait and drink water. Their southwest salad is delicious!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I get either the Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken and no tortilla strips which is 350 calories or the Grilled Chicken Caesar without the croutons which is 320 calories. The sodium is pretty high on both, so make sure you drink extra water!

p.s. you can download their nutrition information and figure out what to get within your calories. I can only eat the salads as I have to be Gluten Free!
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    GREAT SUGGESTIONS. Thanks so much! I'll go the salad route...low fat/fat free dressing with grilled Chicken. Gotta join the Kiddos and eat SOMETHING wityh them :happy:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    McDonald's has a great nutrition guide on their site. I usually get one of the grilled chicken salads. They have some low fat dressings but I usually bring my own.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Grilled is always going to be better then fried... Even tho I am a big fan of the McChicken :)

A bacon chicken ranch grilled chicken sandwich with only half the bun is 280 calories with 835 milligrams of sodium.. not exactly the best sodium wise, but a good tasty option. I had it the other day and it was really good.. plus the bun is made with whole grains, which is also pretty good :)