people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    So should a person NOT eat their exercise calories? Im alittle confused on that part.

Yes. and No. Depends on who you as. I think it works differently for everyone - just as anything does.
    I never eat back 100% of mine - sometimes I will eat back 100% - sometimes -0% Depends on how hungry I am

Personally I am trying zigzagging my calories right now - after 8 months of a similar caloric intake - its time to mix it up : )
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    It is really important to know your real BMR, exercise can make calculating this very unreliable. You may want to try not exercising for a week to get a better feeling of what you really are burning per day. I recently hit a weight plateau but being an idiot I sort of forgot that as my weight drops that calorie goal needs to go down as well. So in my case I was not losing weight because I was eating too much.

Dropped by 200 calories and back on track, good thing is I felt like I was forcing myself to eat to get my calories when I was staying at the same weight...probably should have taken that as a cue :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've never gone lower than 1700 net. I eat my exercise calories.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I just find it hard to believe. When I ate 1200 cals net a day, I lost around 0.8 lbs a week. When I upped to 1340, I lost about 0.6 lbs a week. I upped again to 1500 cals net (where I am now) and I have been maintaining for 2 months on that (bear in mind I have lost around 30 lbs altogether, so my caloric requirements are a lot lower now than they were when I started - I started off maintaining on 1700 cals). So raising calories has had exactly the expected effect on me - my weight loss slowed and stopped as I ate more.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I was doing fine not eating back my (very small amount of) exercise calories in the begining - I was probably burning 250-300 and eating 1600 ish gross per day.

But hten MFP dropped my calories slowly as I lost weight -- I ended up down at 1440 and I just did awful. I wasn't losing, any exercise was exhausting and impossible to do well (even my walks became more like crawls, my heart rate couldn't get up over 120 and if I tried to push it I'd feel like I was straining to hte max with a HR of 119). And on top of that I was miserable eating that little - it was HARD! I would be guzzling water all day trying to keep myself from eating - I was never satisfied food wise and to get my protein in I'd be guzzling protein powder in water (lowest calorie protein delivery imaginable).

I started eating that extra 300 or so calories and it was like night and day.

And I went from a plateau and feeling crappy to losing weight regularly and feeling great ALL the time. I do Strength 2-3 days a week AND C25K and I never feel like I'm too exhausted to work out that day. (I mean sometimes my muscles are too sore to do something in particular but my overall body isn't too tireD).

And did I mention I'm still loosing weight?

Its no longer a steady weekly loss though - it fluctuates around for about 10 days (up and down) and then I register a drop.

Now I eat like 1600-2100 calories every day.

(and hey are all us 2k girls doing the tummy shot now? Because caveats added one too , and I mean, I'll do it but its not pretty like you guys... :laugh: )
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit, so I am able to more accurately know how many calories I am burning and what my daily deficit is. My deficit last week was around 2500 a day or so, which is pretty large. I was eating around 600-900 cals a day on average last week. I lost 2.6 lbs which I was happy with, but I have a lot to loose, and very well could be seeing bigger losses. This week I am going to try to focus on staying more towards 1000-1100 cals a day with a defecit at 2000 or under and see if it speeds up my loss. I never eat back my calories from exercize. The one week I ate more around 1000 cals a day I loss 5.8 lbs that week. So we shall see. I will say, it's really been hard trying to eat more though! Never thought I would say that!!
  • Motivationrequired
    Options
    Well I'm sure my MFP friends are sick and tired of me questioning this, at 1200 cals it's telling me I'll only lies 0.6 LB a week so I guessed working my butt off, not eating back exercise cals, drinking at least 10 glasses of water gym EVERY night I'd lose heaps but this week I put ON!!

So as from tomorrow raised mine to 1400, being honest scares me as still can't grasp that eating more makes you lose, also really interesting about netting 1200 day, would love any advice take a look at my diary don't eat wheat and been trying higher protein but just MADD me feel bit sick, so is upping your cals really going to make you lose it???? Should I be upping mine or not??
    Good luck guys!!!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly eating, staying under my MFP calorie reccomendation, but constantly eating. Stuff like apples, berries, raw fresh veggies, nonfat greek yogurt, chicken. I'm able to keep my calories under or at 1200 doing this and I'm never hungry since I've always got a snack sitting rigt next to me or in my purse. I always assumed that this is what was meant when people said "eating more", that it wasnt referring to adding calories, but to eating more frequently to boost your metabolism. Was my understanding of "eating more" really completely off?

It's really two things:

1) You're body needs to replenish itself with nutrients from food, especially if you're putting arduous exercise into the equation. So you should 'eat more' than your caloric requirement by 'eating back' some calories exerted in exercise, to build your muscles and allow a proper recovery. I personally eat very little calories back from exercise, netting at about 1/4 of the exercise I pull, but I do eat more when I exercise.
    2) 'Eat more' is also more frequently. It's important to start up your metabolism in the morning as early as possible and keep it going with frequent food supply, but small foods like yoghurts, apples, etc. A rule of thumb is to aim for 6 small meals a day, 2-3 hours in between.

These aren't set it concrete, but at least worked ideal for me in my weight loss.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Bumping to read later... I'm in the process of doing this now and am TERRIFIED to gain weight!! I'm also trying to gain muscle though so... I want to lose about 5 pounds and lose fat. Seems like it would be simple, but it's not!

I wouldn't worry about gaining weight, worst case you will just stop losing weight and if anything boost your metabolism a little. As long as you are not adding 500-600 calories at a time should not be any risk here.

Gaining muscle and losing fat is difficult though not impossible, eat quality foods (think proteins and veggies) and it can be done. Lower quality foods best chance is gain muscle....lean out and repeat...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    YEARS ago, I foolishly tried to stay around 800 calories a day. I got down to around 130# but felt so horrible that I realized, "I can eat whatever I want and stay around 145, or starve to weight less... I'd rather eat more!" So I gained it back, and then some extra when my parents died and I lost my job and was diagnosed with depression. (Go figure... who wouldn't be depressed?!)

When I first started on MFP, like everyone else, I wanted to lose 2# a week and got 1200 calories. Always ate my exercise calories. About a month into it, I realized that it wasn't physically possible for me to lose 2# a week. At 1200 calories, the most I could lose would be 1.3#, and that was just on paper. In reality, I lost 1# a week, except when I had a stomach flu. If I was only going to lose 1# a week anyway, I decided I might as well change my settings to reflect that, and got about 1350 calories. Immediately, I started losing 1.5# a week most weeks!

When I lost 20#, putting me at 140, I changed my settings to .5# a week, getting around 1500 calories and lost that .5 pounds a week as promised, reaching my initial goal of 135 in June. I wasn't quite ready to go on maintenance, so I decided to only log Monday through Friday, keeping my same calorie goal. I did up my protein around this time, and noticed a HUGE difference in the way I felt. More energy, faster, stronger, felt full longer. And that month, I lost about 5 pounds while only trying, half-heartedly, to lose 2. :smile:

Since then, I've lost another 5 and I'm maintaining now.

I'm surprised at how *easy* it was to lose weight once I realized I had to eat more. I see people say how it's hard work and how they're struggling... I never struggled. I never felt hungry or deprived. I worked hard, but it wasn't hard work, if that makes sense. I busted my butt, and enjoyed every second of it. I still had pizza, wine, boneless buffalo wings, chocolate, vodka, ice cream... I just made sure I earned it.

During the time I lost weight, I typically had about 1800 calories total a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Now than I'm maintaining, I'm usually around 2000-2100.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

(and hey are all us 2k girls doing the tummy shot now? Because caveats added one too , and I mean, I'll do it but its not pretty like you guys... :laugh: )

Haha yep its our 'thing' now lol

I'm 5'9 @ 167 lbs and eating 2100 -2400 calories a day, still losing - yay for eating
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Curse you people that are 5'9" - I want to eat like I'm 5'9".

I'm totally gonna catch my belly on a good day and do the belly shot. Maybe a side shot. It certainly looks a heck of a lot better than it did before.

Also this thread is depressing me, why do people who probably used to eat 2500 - 3000 calories think that eating 1500 calories will make them gain weight? Doesn't even make ANY sense.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Great post! I see too many girls on here starving themselves with 1200 cals or less. I eat somewhere around 1850 cals a day, but I periodically zig zag to prevent a plateau and will consume as much as 2300. As a result of my adequate fuel intake I have a ton of energy and have lost 7 pounds in a month. I haven't weighed in yet this week, so I may have lost more.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I was chronically under eating for over a year (without knowing it; I was not counting calories). I managed to gain 15 lbs. over the course of that year, all the while I was working out daily and eating probably fewer than net 700 cals a day; sometimes probably negative calories.

The reason you can gain when you chronically undereat is bc you slow down the metabolism so much that whenever you have a little splurge (like say a piece of cake--extra 500 cals over your normal whatever -- 500 total), your body grabs it and stores it, and boom. you gain. In my case, the more I gained, the more I worked out, and the more I restricted food (I was doing absolute minimum weight watchers points and never eating back exercise points).

I have now lost all the weight that I gained and these days I eat bt 1800-2400 cals a day, depending on exercise. Net 1390.

You can read more about my specific situation on my profile, but I want to include here a fantastic article that really helped me understand what was going on. I hope it helps you too.

Edit: I am 5'4, 127 lbs, and 43 years old. I am a mom of 4.

blessings.

Living With Obesity At 700 Calories Per Day!
    By: David Greenwalt

I want you to consider a common female client. She's a woman about 5'5" and 185 pounds. A combination of a mostly sedentary lifestyle, quick-fix, processed foods and consistent excessively low calories has resulted in an incredibly stubborn fat loss scenario. Not only has it created a stubborn fat loss scenario but her ability to add body fat is remarkably strong.

Most would believe there is simply no possible way she could be 185 pounds eating mostly low calories. While it's true the average obese American created their own obesity by being a huge over consumer, a sedentary glutton if you will, many are able to maintain their level of obesity with the following formula in very precise ratios: starvation + binges + sedentary lifestyle.

An initial review of this woman's calories indicates she is just above starvation level in the 400-700 per day range. The food choices are mostly protein in this case (low-carb is all the rage you know) and there are virtually no vegetables or fruits to speak of.

Five or six days per week the calories remain low in this range, however, there are nighttime binges from time to time and weekend binges where carbs loaded with fat (doughnuts, rolls, cookies, pizza etc.) are consumed.

So while the calories are very low the majority of the time, there are one to two days per week where this isn't always the case. Even so, the nighttime binges and weekend slack offs don't amount to what you might presume would be thousands of extra calories, thus explaining the 185-pound body weight.

Very few foods are prepared from home. There are lots of fast foods being consumed. Convenience and taste rule.

I must say. Early on in my coaching and teaching career this woman was a real head scratcher for me. Isn't it calories in and calories out? Even if she's not active she's starving!

How in the heck does she stay at 185 eating an average, including all binges, of maybe 750 calories per day? She's frustrated beyond belief. She sees her friends and coworkers eating more and weighing less. Is she simply unlucky? Is everyone else blessed? And what in the world is she supposed to do to fix this, if it can be fixed?

Why Is She Not Losing Weight?

First, let me tell you why she's not losing weight. Then I'll tell you what she has to do to fix the situation. With a chronic (months and months) intake of less than 1000 calories per day and a 185-pound body weight her metabolism is suffering greatly. It's running cool, not hot. It's basically running at a snail's pace.

Think of it this way. Her metabolism has matched itself to her intake. She could, indeed, lose body fat but she's in that gray area where she is eating too few calories but not quite at the concentration-camp level yet.

If she were to consume 100-300 calories per day her body would have virtually no choice but to begin liberating stored body fat. This is NOT the solution. It's unhealthy and, in fact, quite stupid.

The Practical Way To Lose Fat!
    Today's society is about speed. We no longer have to wait for the oven to warm our food because we have microwaves ready to do the work in less time. The same is not true when it comes to fat loss.
    [ Click here to learn more. ]

Not only has her metabolism matched her intake, her body has maximized production of enzymes that are designed to help store any additional calories as fat. Anytime additional, immediately-unnecessary calories are consumed the enzymes are there and waiting to store the additional calories as fat. Her body is starved nutritionally and it has one thing on its mind - survival.

Being mostly sedentary, her metabolism (hormones play a large role here) can do a pretty good job of keeping things slow enough so that the pathetically low calories she's consuming are just enough to maintain.

But since certain enzymes are elevated, waiting for more calories so more bodyfat can be stored, every nighttime binge or weekend mini-feast will contribute to fat stores.

So on the days she's not bingeing her body does not lose fat, or if it does, it's very little. And on the few days or times she does binge a bit her body is quite efficient at storing fat. So, while she may lose a smidge of fat from starving it is quickly replaced with every binge.

Remember, these binges aren't a gluttonous 4000-calorie feast. Oh no, a binge might be 4-5 cookies worth about 500-700 calories. Nevertheless, since the binge foods are mostly carbs and fat it's very easy for the enzymes to shuttle the dietary fat into stored body fat. It's what they were designed to do.

So, What's The Solution?

Well then, now that we presumably know some valid reasons why she's not seeing a scale change and definitely no body fat change how do we fix her? We have to do something she's going to freak out over.

We have to get her eating more. Not only do we have to get her eating more but more of the right, whole foods need to be eaten. Foods lower in fat that aren't as easily STORED as body fat have to be consumed. And we have to warn her.

A Discouraging Start

We have to warn her that since she's been sedentarily living on protein with binges of carbs and fats she is likely to see a weight gain right away. It's true.
    Once we begin really feeding her body with nutritious carbohydrates so she can become more active, her glycogen-depleted body will hang on to some of those carbohydrates (in skeletal muscle and liver) so she has stored energy for activity.

When her body hangs on to those carbohydrates it has no choice but to hang on to more water too. For every gram of glycogen (stored carbs) she stores she'll hang on to three grams of water.

This is not a negative response by the body but it will be interpreted by her as quite negative when she steps on the scale.

It's quite likely she'll see a five to seven pound weight gain when she really starts eating properly again. This weight gain will remain for one to three weeks before it starts moving in the other direction.

For argument's sake let's assume my Calorie Calculator and Goal Setter at Club Lifestyle suggests a 1500-calorie per day average in week one for a one-pound loss per week. First, she is going to freak out about this many calories.

For months she's been eating less than 1000 and usually around 400-700 in one to three feedings total per day. To her 1500 calories is a ton of food. And if she even begins to eat less fast and packaged-foods it will be a ton of food.

There is no doubt whatsoever that she will resist the increase. This resistance may take one to three weeks to overcome. During this period no weight loss will occur. She is too fat already in her mind and believes it will only hurt her to increase her food intake.

I mean, after all, isn't that how she got fat to begin with? In her early stages of fat gain this was probably true. She overconsumed. But as I've said already, that's not why she's staying heavy.

In addition to a freaked-out mindset about adding more food to her already overfat body she will simply find that it's all but impossible to eat four or more times per day.

She's just not hungry at first. Makes sense when you think about it. Why would she be hungry three hours after eating a 300-calorie, balanced breakfast? Her body is used to 400-700 calories per day!

So, even though she gets a plan and begins using my nutrition analyzer to log foods and meals she finds after having a balanced breakfast of 250 calories she couldn't force herself to eat meal number two on time.

It'll take several more days of realizing what is going on and being one-hundred percent honest and diligent with her logging and planning before she begins to eat her meals as planned no matter what - even if she's not hungry.

By now two to four weeks have passed and the only thing she's seen on the scale is it going up--not very encouraging if I say so myself.

Raising The Grade

After the first two to four weeks have passed she's probably beginning to consume her meals as planned although not quite like an "A" student yet. That is coming. She feels better because she's working out and is more active.
    And she feels like she has more energy throughout the day because she's feeding her body more calories and the right kinds of calories.

She has finally begun eating the right kinds of fast foods (low in fat, moderate in protein) and less packaged food overall. She is making more meals from home and taking them to work for lunch rather than always grabbing something quick from a vending machine or the break room that always has some treat another employee brought in.

After another two weeks or so she's moved from a "B" grade to more consistent "A"s. She's planning her days one day ahead in the Nutrition Analyzer; she's consuming fresh veggies and fruits on a daily basis.

Her calories are almost ALWAYS in line with what is recommended by my Lean Account and she has seen her first signs of the scale moving in the right direction.

She is now dropping from 190 pounds (her high after reintroducing food and carbohydrates again) to 189.3! "Progress at last!" she says. In actuality, the entire process was progress. But that's not how she saw it in the beginning.

With a total of two to four weeks of increased caloric intake behind her and eating more consistently the right kinds of foods her metabolism has truly begun to rebound.

She didn't kill it as she thought. She only wounded it. And since our metabolisms are like kids (they are quite resilient) and she doesn't have thyroid issues or diabetes or any known wrench that could be thrown into the spokes of fat loss, she will begin, for the first time in months or years, to see results that make sense and that one would expect of someone who is active (30-60 minutes five or more days per week) and consuming a caloric intake of 1300-1500 calories per day.

Butterfly Effect: The Basics Of The Thyroid - Part 1.
    Avoiding Sabotage

This process is in no way easy. I think you can see a plethora of ways it could be screwed up, sabotaged, given up on too early and so forth.
    A key to success for this very common woman (men too) is not giving up too soon, having faith in the fix, and moving sooner rather than later to the increased, quality food intake.

It's going to take effort to overcome the mental hurdles of eating more food as well as the increase in scale weight that is going to occur in weeks one to three or so. It's disheartening, however, to charge hard down the weight-loss field only to get to the one-yard line and decide it's time to quit.

Don't Let Your Metabolism Fall.
    These are the top ten ways you can boost your metabolism and keep it high - even through Fall.
    [ Click here to learn more. ]

Many don't realize they only had one more yard to go and they'd have had a touchdown. You gotta hang in there with this plan. It's going to take some time for the glycogen levels to be replenished and level out. It's going to take some time for mental adjustments to occur.
    It's going to take some time before hunger signals are restored to anything close to normal. It's going to take time for the metabolism to rebound and not be in its protective mode.

Giving A Stubborn Body The Message

In certain, very stubborn cases, it may be necessary to eat at a eucaloric (maintenance) or hypercaloric (over maintenance) level for a few weeks to ensure the metabolism does get the signal that everything is alright and you aren't going to kill the body.
    Remember, your body could care less about your desire for fat loss. It just wants to survive.

Some Take-Home Points

The most common cause of obesity is Americans are sedentary overeaters/drinkers. Nothing in this article should be construed as to say that under eating is the root cause of obesity. It's not.

It IS common for many men and women to be under eating with sporadic binges as I described here. This creates a perfect environment for continued obesity even if total caloric intake is quite low on average.

Low-carb followers or "starvers" WILL see the scale go up when calories are consumed at reasonable levels again and carbohydrates are reintroduced. Live with it. Deal with it. It's going to happen. 98% of the gain will be water.

The time it takes for mental acceptance and other adjustments to occur will vary but one should expect a two to four week window for these things to take place. Being forewarned with an article like this may speed this process up some.

Once the right types of foods are consumed and the right caloric intake is consumed and the right ratios of carbohydrates, proteins and fats are consumed on a consistent basis, then, and only then, will metabolism begin to be restored and the key to fat loss be inserted into the lock with a noticeable drop in the scale resulting.
    This may take an additional two to four weeks to occur. Your metabolism is never dead or broken for good. But it may take several weeks of proper eating and activity for it to be restored.

From day one, until the first, noticeable drop in the scale occurs may be four to six weeks--maybe one to two weeks longer. Those who give up on the one-yard line will never see the scale drop as will occur when intelligent persistence and consistency over time are adhered to.
    David Greenwalt
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i will also add, i was still losing weight while upping my calories.
    it shouldnt have been happening but it was, and i recently accidentily lost another 2kg eating 2000cal a day (thats why im now eating 2100-2300)

if you only have 10-20 pounds to lose, set it to 0.5lb a week weight loss.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've never really bought into the whole upping calories to lose weight philosophy. I was netting 1200 a day, eating around 1500 and seeing very, very slow loss. I'm 5'0 with 35lb to go until goal. Since I don't have a great deal to lose, I wasn't expecting 2lb a week, but I wasn't even seeing 1lb.

Recently I made the decision to just eat 1200 calories, regardless of exercise. Most days I do work out..I maybe take off 2-3 days a month. However, I usually only burn around 300-350 calories. I mix it up with cardio & strength training. With the amount I burn naturally, and the cardio I do, my daily deficit is around 700. I feel like since my goal is to lose weight, I want my deficit to be higher. When I would eat back exercise calories, my deficit would only be around 450, thus slowing my loss. If weight loss is about calories out vs. calories in, then as long as you're not starving yourself a large deficit should be ok :)
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i have been here since may i originally started out with 1200 cal daily never ate back my calories but deceided to do so bec there were so many who did and still lost, so i upped my cal to 1350 and always eat back 90% my calories.

i have been loosing faithfully since i joined yes its a slow process for me but im in no rush i will hit my goal no matter how long it takes, im here for the long haul.

keep in mind everyone is different so do your homework and see what works for you.

good luck everyone.
  • marjen002
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 193 pounds with a 1200 calorie limit. After about the first 10 pounds I hit a small plateau...I increased my calories to 1300 and lost some more, then to 1350 and lost some more, then 1500 and lost some more. I'm now up to 1700 calories (which admittedly I don't always reach). On more active days, I have to eat more. (And I have consistently lost weight.) The biggest thing for me increasing my calories was noticing that when they were really low, by the end of the night I was starving and ended up making some poor food choices (binge eating). That being said, I can eat more because I have become more active. On more sedentary days, I cannot eat 1700 calories and expect to lose weight.
  • marjen002
    Options
    YEARS ago, I foolishly tried to stay around 800 calories a day. I got down to around 130# but felt so horrible that I realized, "I can eat whatever I want and stay around 145, or starve to weight less... I'd rather eat more!" So I gained it back, and then some extra when my parents died and I lost my job and was diagnosed with depression. (Go figure... who wouldn't be depressed?!)

When I first started on MFP, like everyone else, I wanted to lose 2# a week and got 1200 calories. Always ate my exercise calories. About a month into it, I realized that it wasn't physically possible for me to lose 2# a week. At 1200 calories, the most I could lose would be 1.3#, and that was just on paper. In reality, I lost 1# a week, except when I had a stomach flu. If I was only going to lose 1# a week anyway, I decided I might as well change my settings to reflect that, and got about 1350 calories. Immediately, I started losing 1.5# a week most weeks!

When I lost 20#, putting me at 140, I changed my settings to .5# a week, getting around 1500 calories and lost that .5 pounds a week as promised, reaching my initial goal of 135 in June. I wasn't quite ready to go on maintenance, so I decided to only log Monday through Friday, keeping my same calorie goal. I did up my protein around this time, and noticed a HUGE difference in the way I felt. More energy, faster, stronger, felt full longer. And that month, I lost about 5 pounds while only trying, half-heartedly, to lose 2. :smile:

Since then, I've lost another 5 and I'm maintaining now.

I'm surprised at how *easy* it was to lose weight once I realized I had to eat more. I see people say how it's hard work and how they're struggling... I never struggled. I never felt hungry or deprived. I worked hard, but it wasn't hard work, if that makes sense. I busted my butt, and enjoyed every second of it. I still had pizza, wine, boneless buffalo wings, chocolate, vodka, ice cream... I just made sure I earned it.

During the time I lost weight, I typically had about 1800 calories total a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Now than I'm maintaining, I'm usually around 2000-2100.

You know, I have totally followed your lead. I LOVE how you have reached your goals and am ALL about it. (Uh-oh, you may just have a groupie!)
  • pinkmotels
    Options
    I'm in the middle of upping my calories right now.. my biggest hurdle is trying to space my extra exercise calories out through the day, otherwise I end up having a dinner that's way too big and I struggle to eat the extra calories my body needs.