people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    7 times your weight is a TERRIBLE metric if you aren't obese. And its even more terrible if you have a lot of muscle or something. I would only get to eat 1150 calories doing that - I need at least 1500 just to FUNCTION as a body with blood and organs.

I agree. That would only give me 1,050 calories/day! I would starve to death considering I need 1400+ calories just to keep my body alive and functioning (my BMR). I think that metric must be for very obese people.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    So should a person NOT eat their exercise calories? Im alittle confused on that part.

It's different for everyone. it depends on your body and what works for you/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So should a person NOT eat their exercise calories? Im alittle confused on that part.

It's different for everyone. it depends on your body and what works for you/

Here's thing, it's truely not different for each person. The biggest discrepancy is how the calories in and out are measured. MFP isn't accurate for calories burnt during exercise but if you understand your BMR, the stage of your weight loss and the true amount of calories burnt, you can make informed decisions.

Below is a good link that explains some stuff more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/384720-working-out-and-eating-back-calories

I will note the exception is people with medical conditions, for example my wife has PCOS so she has an intolerance to carbs but not calories.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Just posted after 2 month pics on my profile. First 2 were in Sept. Next 4 today
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting my calories back in an effort to start losing again, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to try increasing.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The only macro I care about is my protein, and making sure I get enough. Everything else can fall where ever it will. I don't track my sugar, but I'm sure it's crazy high. If I was diabetic or at risk for it, I'd pay attention to it, but I'm not, so I don't.

Me too. well - I keep a vague eye on my carbs and fat because I like to see where they're at from day to day but the only one where I will think "hmm better eat more of X" is protein.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reference
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Macros...I eat a reasonably balanced diet...usually 300g of carbs and the rest protein/fat...I don't drink so most of my carbs cone from grains/fruits/veg/snacks...

I only care that I get over 100g protein which I ALWAYS do without even trying.

I'm 4'11 and ~100 pounds eating 2100-2500 lately...2 days at 2500 and the rest between 2100-2300.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I estimate my TDEE to be about 2300 on exercise days and 2000 on rest days. I try to eat about 1500-1700 to have a 500-600 calorie deficit on average.... Based on my MFP number, my net calories are often under 1200. So I'll eat 1500, exercise and enter about 400 calories burned, and net 1100. That's pretty typical.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    bump to finish later
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm following the biggets loser guidelines (how the feed the competitors) and doing the workouts too. They suggest your weight times 7 should be your intake. Its pretty much what MFP gives. They also suggest 45% carb, 35% protien and 20% fat. It has to be clean carbs protiens and fats though. They don't allow the contestants to eat back their calories until they have a certain BMI. MIght explain how some things work well for fatter people not eating them back than fitter people who need to.
    I'v elost 14lbs since starting but lost more body fat than the scales indicate. I can see the difference and my Dr is thrilled.
    I would be allowed 1,050 calories. I was gaining at that amount. I'm losing on 1,500.

Then you are probabaly already at the weight where they get you to eat your calories back.
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    I'm following the biggets loser guidelines (how the feed the competitors) and doing the workouts too. They suggest your weight times 7 should be your intake. Its pretty much what MFP gives. They also suggest 45% carb, 35% protien and 20% fat. It has to be clean carbs protiens and fats though. They don't allow the contestants to eat back their calories until they have a certain BMI. MIght explain how some things work well for fatter people not eating them back than fitter people who need to.
    I'v elost 14lbs since starting but lost more body fat than the scales indicate. I can see the difference and my Dr is thrilled.

My weight (127) x 7 = 889. 889 calories per day? did I read that incorrectly? I eat bt 1800-2400 cals a day depending on exercise. 889 would get me right back where I was in the past -- starving and gaining.

We must remember that this is for the "Biggest Loser". The contestants start out around 300lbs. That would give them 2100 calories. But I don't think this ratio is at all useful to people that are no in the extremely obese category.

Thank you. I did try to explain that then then eat back their exercise calories once they get to a certain BMI I get over 1500 for example right now but burn around 800 per day. so by the time I got to the lower weights you guys are talking about I would be able to eat between 1600-1800 a day.
  • 4thehardman
    Options

My weight (127) x 7 = 889. 889 calories per day? did I read that incorrectly? I eat bt 1800-2400 cals a day depending on exercise. 889 would get me right back where I was in the past -- starving and gaining.

We must remember that this is for the "Biggest Loser". The contestants start out around 300lbs. That would give them 2100 calories. But I don't think this ratio is at all useful to people that are no in the extremely obese category.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7 times your weight is a TERRIBLE metric if you aren't obese. And its even more terrible if you have a lot of muscle or something. I would only get to eat 1150 calories doing that - I need at least 1500 just to FUNCTION as a body with blood and organs.

I did explain that its only until they get to a certain BMI therefore a certain weight. I currently weigh just over 240lbs which is why it is working for me. Not everyone on this site weighs 150lbs you know.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would be allowed 1,050 calories. I was gaining at that amount. I'm losing on 1,500.

Then you are probabaly already at the weight where they get you to eat your calories back.

That 1,500 is BEFORE eating back exercise calories.

And re-read what you wrote. Nowhere did you say the calculation wasn't used for people with lower BMIs. Biggest Loser is a game show. It isn't real life. I would never try to incorporate the starvation diet they use on that show into my weight loss routine.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump
  • MissDiscipline
    Options

Yes. and No. Depends on who you as. I think it works differently for everyone - just as anything does.
    I never eat back 100% of mine - sometimes I will eat back 100% - sometimes -0% Depends on how hungry I am

Personally I am trying zigzagging my calories right now - after 8 months of a similar caloric intake - its time to mix it up : )

Spot on. It depends on the person. if I eat more, I gain weight. My best friend on the other hand, would have her metabolism drop as soon as she did it for more than 2 days! It really depends on the person..