people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Don't confuse fluctuation with "weight gain." It takes 3500 calories to gain one pound; having an extra 300 isn't going to make you gain.

Exercising one hour can stress your muscles, causing them to hold onto fluid, causing the number on your scale to go up. Ditto for having excess sodium. Or needing to poop.

Also, when you've been chronically undereating, when you do have a little extra, your body sometimes freaks out and says, "FINALLY! Some food! Who knows when she's going to give us extra again... better hold onto it." Give it a few weeks to let your body get used to it before dismissing it.

[/quote]

maybe it is water retention.
    also maybe you are under-estimating your food and over-estimating your exercise. something just does not add up here

Both these points are important factors to bear in mind if you see any weight gain after upping your calories
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I just love all the information here. It gives me hope that upping my calories this week was the RIGHT decision.

I think I won't weigh myself for at least a couple weeks to see how it all settles out.

Thank you for posting your stories - it is appreciated!
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    This is the exact same thing that happens to me, even if I only add 100 calories (only eat 1200 & don't replace my burnt calories from exercises)

-this is in regards to a post from the first page, saying the person GAINS weight by increasing the calorie intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is the exact same thing that happens to me, even if I only add 100 calories (only eat 1200 & don't replace my burnt calories from exercises)

-this is in regards to a post from the first page, saying the person GAINS weight by increasing the calorie intake.

How long have you tracked that weight gain. Is it one of those things, where you immediately gain weight, freak out and drop your calories down? It does take several weeks to a month for a body to regulate itself. What is happening is your body is so used to a very low calorie diet, that when you add food, it freaks out and doesn't know how to process it all. It then adapts and starts to process them faster.

Now there are underlying cause which could have an affect like PCOS. In this case, it's not a calorie intolerance, it's a carb intolerance.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

How long have you tracked that weight gain. Is it one of those things, where you immediately gain weight, freak out and drop your calories down? It does take several weeks to a month for a body to regulate itself. What is happening is your body is so used to a very low calorie diet, that when you add food, it freaks out and doesn't know how to process it all. It then adapts and starts to process them faster.

Now there are underlying cause which could have an affect like PCOS. In this case, it's not a calorie intolerance, it's a carb intolerance.

Takes a month? ok good to hear and hope this is true.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

To up your calories, just change your weekly loss setting - for example, from 1.5 lbs a week to 1 lb - or 1 pound a week down to 0.5 pounds

Then eat your exercise calories back....

Do you wear a HRM?
    If not, then only eat one half to two thirds of them back.... otherwise eat them all...

let us know how you get on...

I changed my goals and changed my activity level which brought me up to 1330 calories.

I don't wear a HRM, but I always knock off 200-300 calories (from what the machine says) when I add in my exercise.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just subscribing to this thread so i can read ALL of the replies at some point :) Great topic!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    bump
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    So jealous I can't lose like that. It always makes me gain or stay until I get to about 120 then I can up it to 1200 cals. I think it's great you all are having success.
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am now thinking of upping my calories... My current target is 1200, but I like seeing green, so I've been sticking with ~850-1000... But I don't feel that I'm losing much (My BMR is supposedly 1360 so I am not anywhere near this.) I'm not sure how I can eat more though without adding carbs? I eat HUGE meals full of veggies and protein so I am not hungry... I am worried about adding carbs as a regular feature though because I tend to go out of control on them. I would start eating fast food all the time again because I was "allowed" carbs and be craving bread all the time. I have no interest in these foods now that I'm low-carbing and my bdy isn't craving the fast carb fix. I find that I feel more energetic and motivated now that I rely on veggies for my main meal components and since I stopped eating bread or noodles, I don't get gastrointestinal "discomfort" anymore.

I am right at the short end of 5'2 (158 cm) and am currently ~136 lb - hoping to get down to 105-110 lb.
  • ltki
    ltki Posts: 77
    Options

Living With Obesity At 700 Calories Per Day!
    By: David Greenwalt

^^^^^^^^ Awesome article, thank you for sharing!!

Yay for eating more to lose more.
    Currently in my second week, no loss yet but no gain either, going to give this body a good chance to readjust!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had consistently lost 5 pounds a month for 8 months and then BOOM the plateau hits! The thing that made me the maddest was that I had increased my running mileage to 20-25 miles a week and still was not losing anything. The best thing for me is that even though I have not lost a pound in the last 2 months, I have dropped a whole size, so the inches are dissappearing even if my pounds are not.
    I too, have increased my calories and rarely eat less than 1500. I certainly notice a difference from 1200 and am almost at another 5 pound loss!
    Keep with it and find what works for you!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Never mind my first comment...should have kept reading.....

I'm working on the last ten pounds and just bumped up my calories to 1700.

My TDEE is around 2300 so we will see how this goes.
  • joannepapas
    joannepapas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Read this. Brilliant article! Oh also read the comments section too

Titled:
    I’ve started working out; why am I still gaining weight?!

http://www.columbussports.com/content/writers/dan_falkenberg/ive-started-working-out-why-am-i-still-gaining-weight.shtml

Here are a couple of paragraphs from the article

One thing I’ve noticed about my most successful clients, the majority of them actually gained a pound or two during the first month of exercising. My clients who weren’t very successful were those that maintained the same weight during the first month, the second month, and so on. Why? I’d have to say it’s because my most successful clients were working so intensely that they experienced extra glycogen and water storage. My clients who wouldn’t put in the effort didn’t need extra glycogen stored, so they didn’t see any initial weight gains.

You see, my successful clients saw an extra pound or two on the scale during the first month, but as the program went on, that extra glycogen storage meant their bodies had the extra fuel to stay revved up and burning off excess calories. It also meant that of the food they ate, less was going into fat storage and more was going into “high-octane” glycogen storage. Less fat storage equals faster weight loss.

So here’s my advice. Don’t be scared of delayed results within the first month. Your body is going through an adaptation process, and it requires some time to prepare itself for its new lifestyle. Keep your exercise intensity up, your eating habits right, and you’ll slowly start to see your fat loss results overcome your new glycogen and water storage results. You’ll slowly start to see that success you set out to achieve.
  • pjkalk
    pjkalk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread and doing some more research, I decided to change my goals to allow me to eat more. At first i was at a measly 1200 calories, and it was horrible. I wasn't seeing changes on the scale to reflect that 2lb/week loss that I was aiming for. Some weeks I'd lose less than a pound, others I would lose nothing. So this past week, I changed it to 1lb/week. Changing my goal gave me 1600 calories to expend, and I burn close to 300 in exercise each day, some days even more than that (and I always eat back those exercise calories) Well I just did my weigh-in today, and sure enough, I lose exactly 1lb. It felt great to have those extra calories, some days I'd contemplate what to do with the left over calories. Its a lot better than stressing out about staying under 1200, and feeling hungry at the end of the day for sure!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am now thinking of upping my calories... My current target is 1200, but I like seeing green, so I've been sticking with ~850-1000... But I don't feel that I'm losing much (My BMR is supposedly 1360 so I am not anywhere near this.) I'm not sure how I can eat more though without adding carbs? I eat HUGE meals full of veggies and protein so I am not hungry... I am worried about adding carbs as a regular feature though because I tend to go out of control on them. I would start eating fast food all the time again because I was "allowed" carbs and be craving bread all the time. I have no interest in these foods now that I'm low-carbing and my bdy isn't craving the fast carb fix. I find that I feel more energetic and motivated now that I rely on veggies for my main meal components and since I stopped eating bread or noodles, I don't get gastrointestinal "discomfort" anymore.

I am right at the short end of 5'2 (158 cm) and am currently ~136 lb - hoping to get down to 105-110 lb.

If you eat the right carbs, there is nothing to be afraid of. Also, if you want to lose, you need to add food. Food is fuel and trust me when I say this; you will lose more by eating more. I have used this technique with 40+ people from this board with about 95% success. The only 2 that didn't succeed yet where due to medical conditions. Calories are fuel, so if you don't feed it, yoru body will turn that fuel to fat for quick energy sources.

Also, unless you are rocking PCOS, carbs are not your enemy. Just look for complex carbs. BTW, I eat over 200g of carbs a day and have lost BF consistently and i am very close to my weight (11% bf and 195 lbs; goal is 185-190 & 8% BF)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I AM SO HAPPY I STARTED THIS THREAD AND PEOPLE ARE EATING MORE!! ((HUGS)) ALL YOU LOVELY PEOPLE! IT'S TOUGH/SCARY AT FIRST BUT IT'S SOOO WORTH IT WHEN YOU START SEEING RESULTS WITHOUT STARVING!

(I used caps for emphasis and so that this wouldn't get lost amongst the masses).