Replies

• shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Week three of eating more and week three of weight loss! Woohoo!!
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I recalculated my goals this week and planning to eat more. Even though I am afraid to eat more. I feel like once I start eating more I will start gaining. So I am working on it, by adding sbacks in between my main meals. Hopefully I will starts seeing better results.
  • cdemoura14
    Options
    I began eating 1200 calories for about 3 months - never ever eating back my exericse calories, easily dropping almost 25lbs. Then when I hit the point where I wasn't loosing any more weight, I started to realize that I was working out and consuming not even 500 calories a day. So I started eating back the exercise calories along with the deficit MFP already gave me, and I lost another 20. But the plateau lasted about 1 1/2 months, and it took a week or two to start noticing the difference. I had more energy, I wasn't tired all the time & I had more energy at the gym to go for longer, which was my initial problem. So honestly, I think that if you create a deficit when you are over weight, you are going to loose no matter what because your body wants to get rid of that fat. But when your body starts going into starvation mode because of the deficit, then you have to up the calories naturally because you weigh less & your body is requiring more fuel. Just my logic, everyone is different.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear reports from the folks who started this in october or november, please...
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Before I started using MFP, I wasn't eating enough calories and struggled with my weight my entire life. It wasn't until I started documenting what I ate and calculating my caloric intake that I realized that on most days I ate less than 1100 calories. I wasn't even eating enough to match my BMR! I increased my calories to 1300-1500 daily and dropped about 40lbs since this past July. I eat back some of my exercise calories now and make sure I never eat below 1300 calories per day.
    WOW! I have been doing this since last January and I've seen posts about people playing around with the calories Up/Down and I figured that sounded too much like my rollercoaster diet lifestyle.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I began eating 1200 calories for about 3 months - never ever eating back my exericse calories, easily dropping almost 25lbs. Then when I hit the point where I wasn't loosing any more weight, I started to realize that I was working out and consuming not even 500 calories a day. So I started eating back the exercise calories along with the deficit MFP already gave me, and I lost another 20. But the plateau lasted about 1 1/2 months, and it took a week or two to start noticing the difference. I had more energy, I wasn't tired all the time & I had more energy at the gym to go for longer, which was my initial problem. So honestly, I think that if you create a deficit when you are over weight, you are going to loose no matter what because your body wants to get rid of that fat. But when your body starts going into starvation mode because of the deficit, then you have to up the calories naturally because you weigh less & your body is requiring more fuel. Just my logic, everyone is different.

The begining of this sounds just like what I have been doing and I feel like I have hit that plateau so I tried to up my calories a little and the scale started going up and I got worried that maybe eating back my exercise calories wasn't a good idea for me. It is good to hear that it might take a little while, more than the 2 days that I tried it, to see results. It makes total sense to me to eat back the exercise calories but for some reason it causes a lot of anxiety for me.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear reports from the folks who started this in october or november, please...

I stumbled upon the women who eat 2000+ cals thread back in October and I was just desperate for some change. I had stalled for a month, losing nothing, but eating at 1200-1500 cals a day (higher cals on days I exercised). I decided I'd give this a go for a month...I really had nothing to lose at that point. Well, since increasing my cals to 1600-2000+ (again, higher on days I workout), I began losing - consistently, just over a pound a week! I broke through my stall and am steadily moving down. It really does work. My body is nourished now and it's being good to me, as I be good to it.

I also invested in a BodyMedia Fit and sure enough, it confirmed what was going on with my body. I was simply not eating enough given my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). You'd think with the deficit I had been leaving that I would have been losing at least two pounds a week...but that was simply not the case. So now...I eat more, I feel better, and I'm losing weight at a better rate I was before. WIN!
  • tish30930
    tish30930 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump, Bump, Bump!!!
  • hml1976
    Options
    I've been eating a lot more since starting MFP. One thing that I do too is have a cheat day where I go over my calories and don't work out. And then I follow it with a big workout day where I don't eat all of my calories. And then the rest of the time I eat all of my calories.

I eat more now than when I was fat!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Keep an eye on me. I weigh in on Friday's. I had stalled to 1 lb a month loss once I hit a healthy weight. Upped my calories just this week.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm only halfway through but have to go back to work :( bumping for later.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    This is definitely not me. I have been eating over 1200 calories for months since I hit the plateau and I slowly gained 2 pounds. I recently dropped back to 1200, and my scale moves again to the right direction. Guess it really depends on each one's magic number. More is not merrier in my case. Good luck to everybody and Happy Holidays
  • kbean33
    Options
    BUMP
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump to track...
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I had been stuck at the same weight for about 4 months until I got a Bodymedia Fit. After a little over a week or so of using it and maintaining a healthy deficit, I lost almost 2 lbs. I started using it the beginning of November.

So, my BMF tells me I burn a total of 2200-2800 calories per day, depending on activity level/exercise. I sit on my butt most of the day at work. Even on a weekend day of doing nothing but sitting and playing video games and getting up only to pee and eat, I burn a total of about 2300 calories. Imagine, someone who burns 2800 calories total, eating at 1200 calories total, all while doing nothing but intense cardio. This is what I did for several months without even realizing it, before I even came on here to track my calories. Even when I was trying to net 1200 calories, I still wasn't eating enough. Obviously, eating this much doesn't work for everyone, but I think a lot of women on here are really not doing themselves any good by consistently eating so little (1200 calories or less) because they want to lose the weight so quickly.

And it makes sense that if you're eating so little, and immediately increase your calories, you are going to see some weight gain. You have to give it some time.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

I had been stuck at the same weight for about 4 months until I got a Bodymedia Fit. After a little over a week or so of using it and maintaining a healthy deficit, I lost almost 2 lbs. I started using it the beginning of November.

So, my BMF tells me I burn a total of 2200-2800 calories per day, depending on activity level/exercise. I sit on my butt most of the day at work. Even on a weekend day of doing nothing but sitting and playing video games and getting up only to pee and eat, I burn a total of about 2300 calories. Imagine, someone who burns 2800 calories total, eating at 1200 calories total, all while doing nothing but intense cardio. This is what I did for several months without even realizing it, before I even came on here to track my calories. Even when I was trying to net 1200 calories, I still wasn't eating enough. Obviously, eating this much doesn't work for everyone, but I think a lot of women on here are really not doing themselves any good by consistently eating so little (1200 calories or less) because they want to lose the weight so quickly.

And it makes sense that if you're eating so little, and immediately increase your calories, you are going to see some weight gain. You have to give it some time.

Great post!

And yes ditto I agree with your last paragraph. If you want success with this then you need to give it a good 4 - 6 weeks!! Throw away that scale for 6 weeks !!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    More evidence that eating more makes you lose- today I weighed in after two weeks on "maintenance" and I had lost 1.25lb.

My average NET calories over these 2 weeks was 1600 calories.