Too much protein?

Options
Is it possible to have too much protein? I had a breakfast bowl with Greek yogurt for breakfast, a turkey burger for lunch, and a Veggie BBQ tortilla pizza for dinner (with beans). MFP says I'm 14g over for protein. Thoughts?

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Nope. Protein is good for you.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    no such thing
  • gainess
    gainess Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing the same thing.. Thanks for asking this question.. Thanks for the feedback. It's been a help to me!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I'd rather go over on Protein than Carbs....of course that never happens for me. :(
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    The protein listed on here is for a minimum as is the fiber, not a max as most of the other categories.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd say that 13g over isn't that big a deal, but if you're planning on going waaaay over, make sure to drink a lot of water so that you don't get dehydrated.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options

*bumping for the forum faq list. Thanks!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

More information found here, source: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To calculate the amount of protien you need on a daily basis take your weight in pounds and divide by 2.2. I weigh 151 (right now) so my protien requirement is 68g a day.

( Information taken from "The Complete Food Counter" by Annette B. Natow and Jo-Ann Heslin.)
  • joysinsd
    Options
    Too much protein, which depends heavily on the individual, can create dehydration so it's important to drink plenty of water. A general rule of thumb for water consumption is half your weight in ounces of water. If you're 150 pounds then 75 ounces of water is a good number. Also, uric acid is produced by the kidneys, which, if too high, causes gout. Ouch! Again, water, water, water to keep everything in balance.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

More information found here, source: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
    Typical low carb dogma. At least she didn't say a ketogenic diet will kill you, most do. and of course increasing protein doesn't auromatically mean someone is going to be in a ketogenic state.......another person taking a point to the extreme to support their arguement...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options

By not eating enough protein you'll lose muscle and you only get dehydrated on a ketogenic diet if you don't drink water. Going over what MFP told her to eat in protein (which is very low) by a few grams is NOT going to put ANYONE into ketosis. Most people should change the percentages that MFP sets initially and eat more protein.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential

Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    MFP wants me to eat 201 grams of protein a day... and I made it to 130 today.

Little excessive for some? Yea maybe.. but my trainer wants me to put on muscle, and protein is essential for building/maintaing muscle.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Only 2g off then according to the math formula you gave!