That dreaded holiday weight gain...

Options
What are some suggestions you guys have for the holidays and weight loss? I always gain a few November-January and I'm ready to stop that cycle!

Thanks!

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    eat in moderation..good luck:drinker:
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    drink LOTS of water... limit your sweet intake... Try not to drink too many alcohol beverages (I avoid them during the holidays) because they are "empty" calories and not worth it! Portion control is VERY important too
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Only eat the things you absolutely LOVE, eat them in in moderation, leave everything else alone. Keep up your exercise.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    In the past I've been a couch potato.

This year, I'm thinking about doing the Turkey Day 5k, before coming home and making dinner for family and friends. And since we're going to scrub our house, that's extra exercise, and doing extra light workouts (swimming mostly).

I usually make lots of cookies, still going to, but will bring more of them to work and friends' places to share.

Just going to make the extra effort to get extra exercise. Something I've never tried to do in the past.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Bump. Interested to hear some people tips.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Food network actually just posted an interesting article to that effect. Here's the link:

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2009/11/24/how-to-not-overdo-it-thanksgiving-tips/?c1=soc:dishfb&soc=dishfb

Makes a lot of sense to me. And good luck - remember, whatever happens, make time for yourself. Whether that is eating a healthy snack before going to thanksgiving, or giving yourself a pep talk so that you can say NO to those family members who would push more food on you, or your daily walk/exercise, you will enjoy the holiday a lot more if you feel good about yourself.

If you have a lot of parties, one thing I have been doing that helps is mentally thinking about how I would log each bite into MFP, even if they don't all get there. It's basically holding myself accountable, so I don't take one of every kind of cookie.

Good luck!
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Eat more turkey than pie!:wink:
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    Definitely watch your portions and take it 1 day at a time. Don't let 1 "bad day" ruin it.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eat in moderation and have a plan before you go to a function. Look up the calorie/fat content and serving size of popular Holiday food ahead of time, that way you know BEFORE you eat it.
    Good luck to us all :-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Moderation.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try to think of Thanksgiving, for example - as ONE MEAL - Not one day of bad choices, or one week, or one month (Thanksgiving to Christmas). It really is only one meal. So even if you don't make the best choices, it's just one meal. It's when we keep it going (for a week or more) when we get in trouble. I remember this from my Weight Watchers days, and it makes so much sense to me. Simple idea, but soooooo true - It's just one meal!!
    Good luck. Keep exercising!! and drinking water!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    there is always so much at my house for thanksgiving and the holidays, that i want to try everything. so what i've done is just take a little bit on my first plate, and leave room for seconds. and then i go for seconds, while keeping in mind that i'm leaving room for dessert.

these are actually pretty good excuses for any family giving you crap for not eating enough. "i'm leaving room for some of that delicious (insert food item here) that i want to try"