How do you "just say no."

Options
stef_e_b
stef_e_b Posts: 593
For example today I had a protien shake for breakfast, chicken sandwich on whole wheat for lunch and a poor (only romaine) salad for dinner.

However, my mother ordered pizza and I was strong and said no. But my boyfriend got sick and couldn't eat his, so of course I stepped in.

The problem is that this stuff happens all the time. There is always some reason why I feel like "well, I might as well"

How do you guys deal with this? Do you chant "Nothing tastes better than thin feels" ? Run away and live on the streets until either your family starts getting healthy or you find some unltimate diet drug which allows you to eat crap and still lose weight?

What do you do?

Replies

• stef_e_b
    Options
    For example today I had a protien shake for breakfast, chicken sandwich on whole wheat for lunch and a poor (only romaine) salad for dinner.

However, my mother ordered pizza and I was strong and said no. But my boyfriend got sick and couldn't eat his, so of course I stepped in.

The problem is that this stuff happens all the time. There is always some reason why I feel like "well, I might as well"

How do you guys deal with this? Do you chant "Nothing tastes better than thin feels" ? Run away and live on the streets until either your family starts getting healthy or you find some unltimate diet drug which allows you to eat crap and still lose weight?

What do you do?
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I save it for the next day - or I do extra at the gym. Or - only eat a bit. I also pause and think - will I regret it the next day? I've gotten pretty good with guessing that. I wanted some chocolate a few days ago (some = a lot) but I decided I would regret it. Right now, I'm going to hunt down some candy, because I know I won't regret it if I actually find the darn bag and have a piece. I'm not here to make myself miserable, and so far, I've lost enough in the time I've been here that I'm satisfied.

It also helps that leftover cold pizza is a treat within itself :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I had to change the way I think of food.

I now think of food as only fuel for my body.

When confronted with a tempting food like pizza I think several things

do I need some fuel? if yes...I may have a slice but probably not unless its my only choice and that is rare.

do I have room with calories? if yes...I then think if I want all those carbs and fat in my body.

Having occasional junk is one thing but I control it...it doesnt control me anymore.

When I changd to thinking of food as only fuel,,,things really started changing for me as far as tempting foods like pizza and controlling what I put in my body.

When I want a treat...like chocolate or pizza or ice cream...I make sure I appreciate it and work for it and treat it as a special occasion.
  • redreamingme
    Options
    I know how you feel. My family knows I'm on a diet, they still ask "want to go get a coffee?.. want a treat?"
    I just think how hard I've worked and I really don't want to gain it back and start all over. I owe it to myself to make better choices and so do you.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, we all have our own reasons for getting thinner and healthier, but I believe when you REALLY want to do it, you'll lose it. The reason just has to be good enough, for you. You just need to find that spark that gets you going.

For me it was feeling the difference... All through university I got fatter and fatter, and didn't really care too much. It was always in the back of my mind I guess, but it wasn't something I worried about. Then I got really sick and had to leave home for a while, and started being healthy almost by accident (I could only find a job in an organic salad bar, and no car means a lot of walking and biking!!). I lost a LOT of weight and it amazed me how good I felt, and sort of woke up to the fact that I was overweight and missing out on a lot of things.

I've come back home now to complete my degree, but as summer approaches and I remember how good it felt to lose all that weight last year, I'm ready to shed the remainder.

So my advice?

Sit down and look at all the reasons you want to be healthier, write them out if you haven't already, and decide if that's worth giving up for a slice of pizza. It will get easier every time you say no. This isn't to say a treat every once in a while is a bad thing... but if you're doing it on a nightly basis, you're never going to achieve the results you want.

Also, be accountable to those around you. Make it very clear you're trying to lose weight, even write your goals and post them to your fridge. Talk to people in your life who might tempt you inadvertently and let them know it would be easier if they kept the pizza offering to a minimum.

You definitely have it in you to do this!!! Start fresh tonight, let us know how it goes this week for you. Once the weight starts coming off it will feel too good to go back on.
  • Laurie061273
    Options
    I am trying to make sure I eat enough to keep me "not hungry" most of the time, then when the opportunity to cheat comes up... I really don't care one way or the other. Yeah, smells and looks good... but if I'm not hungry I just won't eat it.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I am trying to make sure I eat enough to keep me "not hungry" most of the time, then when the opportunity to cheat comes up... I really don't care one way or the other. Yeah, smells and looks good... but if I'm not hungry I just won't eat it.
    It takes a while to get to this point, but it works for me, too. I also make sure I have plenty of good food around so that when the offer arises, I'm too cheap to let my clean foods go to waste.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've been faced with a lot of this lately... some days I don't say no. Some days I REALLY want that pizza or Chinese food and a salad is just not going to cut it...

BUT - here's what helps me. I request that the food not be put in the middle of the table - it's too easy to reach in and grab more. Food goes on the counter and gets put on plates and brought to the table. If someone suggests something unhealthy, I take a moment and review my calories in/out for the day, decide if I can make a healthy choice and if I can't what the damage will be, etc. I try to include something healthy with the unhealthy. "Sure, I'd love to go get a coffee, but why don't we take a walk first? Then an iced coffee would taste really great!" "Pizza? That sounds wonderful. How about if I make a salad to go with it?"

And... I know if sounds terrible - but sometimes you have to just take on an air of superiority. Watch everyone around you stuffing their faces and think to yourself, "Look how little self control they have! I bet they're going to feel terrible in the morning. I'll feel better AND look better in the morning" Sometimes that really helps....
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Coffee barely has calories - unless you're referring to having it with milk, sugar, whipped cream, syrup, etc.? Because you can run out and get tea instead!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    When I finally decided that I'd had enough and wanted to change my life and lose the weight, I made some decisions about how to approach food.

I plan my day's meals in advance and log the food in the night before then I don't deviate from the plan.

I made the decision to eat only what I had planned in advance, thus I will accept no food that is offered to me no matter how innocent or benign. Then I don't even have to decide. I just say no.

If I really want pizza or another treat, then I plan for it another day by planning my calories and exercise for the day to allow the calories.

right now my desire to get rid of the weight is much more important than recreational eating.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I finally decided that I'd had enough and wanted to change my life and lose the weight, I made some decisions about how to approach food.

I plan my day's meals in advance and log the food in the night before then I don't deviate from the plan.

I made the decision to eat only what I had planned in advance, thus I will accept no food that is offered to me no matter how innocent or benign. Then I don't even have to decide. I just say no.

If I really want pizza or another treat, then I plan for it another day by planning my calories and exercise for the day to allow the calories.

right now my desire to get rid of the weight is much more important than recreational eating.

good luck :flowerforyou:

Recreational Eating! HA! I love that :laugh:

Stef: In the beginning I left the room alot. Not very social, but when my family was eating pizza and I didn't have the willpower, sometimes I had to just get outta there! It does get easier. I choose not to give everything up - I just make sure I can afford it. Tonight I had 1/2 cup of dirty rice with hot links and a HUGE salad. It was plenty.
  • stef_e_b
    Options
    Thanks guys!