I really need motivation!

Options
Hello all,
I am really trying to get back on track with this...I really need some motivation!
I have been gone away from here for so long and I've been wanting to get on here and get started again for so long but just keep putting it off, you know how we do.
well needless to say I have gained 13lbs since I was on last....Yes I no that's terrible!! I have found a lot of comfort in food and I can tell you this, the comfort doesn't last long....Why do we do this to ourselves!
Anyway I am really ready to give this a go and I could use some pointers about getting back into it again, also I'm really struggling with emotional eating, mainly sweets...ugh!!!

Thanks for reading
Karen

Replies

• snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I could have written all of that! I'm trying to get back to it - lets make it TODAY :)
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Every time I start to feel a little weak or down on myself I watch this video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

and I snap right out of it.

Best wishes and Never, Never give up.
  • richfaber
    richfaber Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Each time you try your chances of making it are greater. Think about the day, what you ate, how you felt. You tried eating whatever you wanted and it did not bring you happiness, did it? I too have lost and regained. I now am not trying to lose weight, I am trying to live healthier- in mind as well as body. You must have a burning desire to do this. Find a picture when you were younger and thinner, look at it each night before sleeping. Good luck and never stop.:smile:
  • Pennywinkle143
    Options
    :happy: Dear karen,

Hi, My name is Penny from NC. I know what it is like to find comfort in food. For I am an emotional eater. For some reason it satisfies me when I eat. I feel better....at the time. Since you have started on here that is a beginning:wink: . This is the way I have been thinking. I am NOT depriving myself of any of my comfort food. I am using this MFP to help me control the portions I eat. In my mind I tell myself I can still have it and I do but in smaller amounts. I do limit myself but there are times I reward myself and that helps alot too!

I know to get started sometimes even if its only 13 lbs it feels alot more, because we want to sit and have a satisfing meal. I know because I have done this for years. I had to make up my mind that was the first thing and then the next is to take it one day at a time. I am proud of you that you ONLY have 13 lbs to go. It wont take long and but patience is another key factor here I am learning.:smile: I hope this helps~Take it ONE day at a time. Enjoy your comfort food only in small portions. I wish you the best!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Track, track, track! Plan out your day in advance as much as possible, and track every single mouthful outside this the second you eat it. When you get to your target calories, stop dead (go to bed if you have to!) or work off enough calories to eat more!

Good lock!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Every time I start to feel a little weak or down on myself I watch this video.....

Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant

Thanks for sharing this :happy:

• bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's quite an achievement!! I've added it and his website to my favourites and will definitely use when i'm feeling a little rubbish!!

• traylork
    Options
    I read recently in another forum that a women takes a picture of what she eats; this way she is accountable for what she eats. It also help remind you what you ate to write it down BUT if it was a piece of chocolate or several pieces of chocolate, take that picture of the wrappers. This will make you want to stop!!!

Today and day 2, back on track!!!! Good luck
  • mhairi_e_mckenzie
    Options
    I completely understand! I started again last week as I had a break over my friend's wedding and in 2 months put on 10lbs - not impressed. The brushing your teeth when you want to eat is a good trick I was taught a while ago - drink lots of ice cold water afterwards and it totally takes away your cravings...

Good luck!
  • Bearb2532
    Bearb2532 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi... this is the first time I am posting, blogging, replying, whatever this is! LOL I have been trying to change my lifestyle to Healthier for over 3 years now. I have done WW, I have done the Wii Fit, and all the games, I go to the gym regularly. I am down 20 pounds from my original, but stuck for almost a year now. I am an emotional eater too, mostly stress knocks me thru a loop and sends me looking for comfort foods. Unfortunately, I have ALOT of stress in my life! LOL I have been doing MFP on my phone for a few months now and find it VERY helpful. I plug in everything I eat, scan it in whenever possible... I need to measure more accurately, but other than that, it works GREAT!! Helps me keep track of what I have eaten and what I am planning to eat for the rest of the day! Works better than the WW app, for me, anyway :-) I am struggling with the Cardio to Wt lifting ratio in the gym, but this time of year is SO hard NOT to eat all your favorite comfort foods so concentrating on gym stuff gets even harder. I am also a little more disadvantaged... my Husband does ALL the cooking. He is the Stay at Home Dad, and does ALL the kitchen stuff. I work 2 jobs and eat on the go ALOT!! I do pack lunches, but sometimes on a 12 hour shift, when the coworkers are ordering out AGAIN, I find it very hard to resist :-(
    I am trying to stay possitive and motivated.... I go to the gym before work (5am) almost every morning, which really helps improve my mood, focus, stress levels and overall feelings of well being for the day. Then I have a cheese danish from a coworker, and I feel horrible again. Like I just wasted my time in the gym. I do find brushing my teeth, chewing gum, and other "tricks" do help with cravings, but I am finding that Meal Planning is really gonna be the key for me!! If I know what to eat ahead of time, and leave a few spaces for little "cheats" I feel more prepared, more able to stay on track. I feel more empowered, and don't feel the "cheats" are worth it when they arise!
    Good Luck on your journey.... your not alone :-)
    And by writing this to you, I feel much better.... I'm not alone either!! Thanks :-)