HRM and Calories: Can this be correct?

Options
Greetings all!

So I was not really feeling the love on what the cardio machines at the YMCA were telling me with regards to my calories burned. So I bought a HRM (no names as I don't like to advertise someone elses products until I am certain they are solid). The package said it was EKG accurate. Since I work in a health care environment I decided to test it out. I used a GE EKG machine, an Alaris VS machine, and an independant SP02/HR monitor. All were extremely close, so I'm thinking that this thing is right on the money. During set up of the HRM I had to enter in my gender as well as my age. It provides a few differrent outputs such as current HR as well as a timer that also counts calories burned. I figured this would be great to capture the amount of calories burned during one of my X-Factor:ST workouts. It was a 42min session and I was really putting out the entire time. The total calories burned was 684. Is this possible? It seems like such a high number, but the HRM has been accurate thus far. I even wore it timing the number of calories burned in an average 24hr period and that number was within 100 of what daily caloric intake is recommended at. So I guess I'm surprised at the high burn number.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

TIA,
Cam

Replies

• FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, the HRM reading is correct! I would definitely trust the HRM - ESPECIALLY if you're using the kind with a chest strap, which is the best kind to get. Since it's directly at heart level on your body, it will have the best reading.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Totally possible.

I use to work out on the elliptical for 45 minutes to an hour and would easily burn 650+ calories for 45 minutes.

I would reach up into the low 800's if I did a full hour.

Great burn!!
  • heatherdills
    heatherdills Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you have confirmed its accuracy thus far, I would go with it. I have burned that many calories before on workouts I have really exerted myself on.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Up until not too long ago i could burn 1000 in an hour. not anymore
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I burn 1,000 plus on a regular basis measured by my HRM. Totally a feasible burn. GOOD JOB!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Depending on your current weight, that doesn't seem an unusually high number to me.
  • Paboes71
    Options
    I'm pretty sure HRM with a chest strap is about as accurate as you can get.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Trust your HRM... It may still be a little off unless you enter a resting heartrate and own index...but it is MUCH closer than any machine. And YES...It is possible! Yay for you...
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    sounds correct to me, considering you tested it out and all.
  • GoyaMommy13
    GoyaMommy13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i was really surprised at the numbers when i first bought my HRM too. the machines at the gym are not accurate bc they are not reading your heart rate the whole time you workout. i don't know about you- but it's really hard for me to keep my hands on those metal handles the whole workout.

but great job! and i'm glad to hear that you're testing it against other machines! good to know.
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes, the HRM reading is correct! I would definitely trust the HRM - ESPECIALLY if you're using the kind with a chest strap, which is the best kind to get. Since it's directly at heart level on your body, it will have the best reading.

AGREE!! I just bought a polar ft4 last week and it comes with a chest strap..mfp said i burn in the low 200s for lvl 2 of jm 6week 6 pack but with my HRM it said i burned in the 330s..A HRM is more accurate because its right against your heart and is keeping track non stop!!
  • zumbalove29
    zumbalove29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use a sigma hrm with the chest strap and I as well work in the medical field and tested it out with my EKG machine... when I do zumba for 60 minutes straight I am burning between 800-1000 cals an hour. I adjust my food intake to this and Im losing so it must be correct or pretty darn close
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This depends on several factors:

1. Your age (you entered on your HRM)
    2. Your weight
    3. Your height
    4. Your gender (you entered on your HRM)
    5. Does the HRM have a chest strap?
    6. Your fitness level

As you get more fit and you lose weight, the harder it will be to burn a huge number of calories. Your body gets stronger and will not require your heart to work as hard. So, without knowing more about your condition, it would be hard to tell if this calorie burn is accurate or not. If your HRM was set up to include the other items as well (weight and height), and it has a chest strap, then I would say that it is about as accurate as you can get.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This depends on several factors:

1. Your age (you entered on your HRM)
    2. Your weight
    3. Your height
    4. Your gender (you entered on your HRM)
    5. Does the HRM have a chest strap?
    6. Your fitness level

As you get more fit and you lose weight, the harder it will be to burn a huge number of calories. Your body gets stronger and will not require your heart to work as hard. So, without knowing more about your condition, it would be hard to tell if this calorie burn is accurate or not. If your HRM was set up to include the other items as well (weight and height), and it has a chest strap, then I would say that it is about as accurate as you can get.

Very detailed and accurate post^^^^^

would like to add that one should update their weight in the HRM periodically so that it does not over estimate your burns. I enter my new weight every 5-10 lbs as I remember to do it.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    would like to add that one should update their weight in the HRM periodically so that it does not over estimate your burns. I enter my new weight every 5-10 lbs as I remember to do it.

Good point! I haven't done that with mine...

Does anyone know about Garmins? It's for running, can I use it to accurately measure my calories during a workout DVD? Thoughts?
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had that worry when I first got my HRM too, it always said I was burning more than the machines said. I trusted it though and I am losing weight!
  • camzilla72
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for the great input folks. Since I'm fairly new to this I am gonna see how my progress goes, and post my results. I'm currenlty at 207, but my fintess level is/was? pretty rotten. I had spent a solid 8-9 months sitting on the couch eating junk....for no reason. I'm back at it and looking forward to my next workout. Again, thank you all!

Cam
  • mlogan00
    mlogan00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Would you mind sharing what monitor you got since you have tested it and it seems to be so accurate?