Afraid of missing a day at the gym - falling off the wagon?

Options
Anyone else afraid of missing a day at the gym and then "falling off the wagon"? I know my body needs rest, but I worry about falling off the wagon. Hasn't happened, but it's in my mind!

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I am very much that way. I am still building my consistency and am afraid skipping a day will send me backsliding. One way I get around it is to take my rest day as a stretch day, a light walk and then stretching, so that I still build the habit of taking the time each day to move and do something good for my body, but I am not over-taxing my muscles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Anyone else afraid of missing a day at the gym and then "falling off the wagon"? I know my body needs rest, but I worry about falling off the wagon. Hasn't happened, but it's in my mind!

rest is as important as the training part of your routine...

why would it even cross your mind that it would make u fall off the wagon? you need to think positive... a day of rest has done me good, now i am back on it!
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You need a schedule with rest days .. If you over wiork yourself you will tire out and quit.. I excerise four days at te gym and one day at home I rest two days and have lost 28 pounds in three months... Dont over do it.......hang in there.
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym because it's a drive and pretty expensive but maybe later in my journey. But, I do worry about taking a day off from any exercise. I know I skipped 30 ds on Sunday and I really had to force myself to get up yesterday morning to do it.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite -- I know that if I don't take at least a day off each week, I will get burnt out. I've done it before.
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Exactly what im feeling today! Wanted to post but decided against it..
    Iv never been a big fan of working out, i did it about once every six months if that, but since joining MFP iv caught the bug, but today i know iv done too much recently and need to give myself a break, but was terrified if i go over i wont get back onit when i feel up to it. I guess i need to man up because as you said its in my head and WIll not happen! x
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I went religiously for months on end - 5 days a week, then took a week for vacation and STILL haven't got back into the routine...I went on vacation in May. I'm okay with food being in moderation - but it seems for me that working out is an all or nothing kind of deal. I need to figure out how to get back the motivation and drive I had back in January when I joined my gym.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Your muscles build at rest not at the gym - be sure to get at least one rest day. The only times I've fallen off the wagon are when other fitness goals have been more important than another. I usually slack off strength training right before a race or competition, sometimes it takes me a while to start back up.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You need to plan a rest day. At least one a week.

I have what I call a "Work-Out Week". Which doesn't always coincide with the work week. I look at my schedule and plan my workouts accordingly, and plan for an off day or two depending on what else is going on.

Where I get concerned about falling off the wagon is when I depart from my plan.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You need a schedule with rest days .. If you over wiork yourself you will tire out and quit.. I excerise four days at te gym and one day at home I rest two days and have lost 28 pounds in three months... Dont over do it.......hang in there.

i could not agree any more!! if you make a schedule with rest and stick to it the weight will come off steadily :) (of course w/ correct food choices)
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you :) I did not take a rest day for the first 3 months of working out! When I started of course then I started to take one here and there but it was hard not to work out because I just wanted to everyday! Now I have taken a big break for a month and I am starting to get back on the wagon but I had to take that break due to an injury I acquired in softball. I don't feel you have to take a rest day if you feel your body is not hurting I hope you stretch cause that will be very important :) Good Luck!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You won't fall the wagon. Recently I hurt my foot and couldn't exercise for 2 weeks. After it healed, I "DRAGGED" myself to the gym, hit the treadmill and ran 3 miles! Like it was nothing! Now I'm all amped up keep going. Unless you're training for a triathalon/marathon, you should only go 5 or maybe 6 days a week. But on those rest days, get out and do something like a long walk, a little jog around the block. Something active to get your blood pumping!! Doctors say "30 minutes of activity EVERY DAY"

Good luck, Mike
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    On your rest days, focus more on food. Stay right on track for your calorie goals. If you really want to get a work out on, try something lower impact, such as swimming or yoga
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way but then I got burned out... and now I'm like I need a rest.

I try to workout at least 3 days a week.. if not more. Two on my own and one with my trainer.. and if I happen to squeeze a 4th day in there, then I'm happy.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Everyone should have a rest day. I went from the first of April till first of Sept without taking a day off. Not very smart. It was hard to take a day off, because getting up at 3:30 or 4 am and working up was what I did every day. I now force myself to take Fridays off. The answer to your question is that you will not fall off of the wagon by taking a rest day. A rest day does the body and mind good.
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, if I miss more than a day I think OMG, I can feel myself getting fatter! :-) LOL. I know, I know it's in my head and I don't like to take a day off but I know we do need at least one day of rest. I try not to let it control me, but it can become somewhat of an obsession. If you still feel the need to do something on your day off, try going for a walk- something easy but still makes you feel as if youve done something. And I stick with my diet on my days off, although I do have a refeed (cheat) day one day a week too, but usually do that on the days I lift.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about one day, but I do worry if I have to miss more than one in a row. I miss a few days and then get back at it, but then my schedule gets busier and I think "I didn't gain the last time I skipped a few days" so I skip more and that gradually increases until I've put the 25 lbs back on. I am not a yo-yo dieter, but I definitely have been a yo-yo exerciser.
  • yeroc39
    Options
    You MUST take rest days. 65% of people working out in the gym are overtrained. And overtraining leads to chronic fatique syndrome, or constant plateaus in your fitness gains. The rest is what heals you and enables you to come back stronger and execute your workouts more effectively.

And you cannot go by how you feel. Many people are so used to being in a state of overtraining that they don't know any better,a dn don't feel anything. So listen to your body. It will give you the indications you need to manage it better.

Take your morning resting heart rate before getting out of bed. Take it for 3-5 mornings and get an average. Then use that as your baseline. Take in after that every other morning, or after a really hard workout day. If its elevated above normal, your body probably did not recover from the workout from the day before. So you don;t have to necessarily skip that day, just keep the intensity a bit lower. But if you see a few days in a row of elevated hr, you may be well on your way to being overtrained. And your body will not respond as it would if you are rested. Also, you can sometime see an illness (cold, flu) coming on before you feel it when your MRHR is elevated. Its a great tool. Your heart gives your body a voice and you just have to listen to it.

Lastly, vary your intensities.....there are a ton of people who take spinning classes for example and they go hard every class. You have to vary your intensities. Tour de France riders don't go super hard everyday like many people spinning do. If you don't want to take a day off, make it an active rest day....go for a walk....do something light, and adjust your eating habits that day.........

But not taking rest days is just not smart!
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I appathise with this 'fear', I find it hard to motivate myself to work out, I find it difficult to fit in my 'workout days' around my 'rest days' ;)