How to Cut Carbs/Adjust diet for faster weight loss

Options
Hello All,

When I went to the doctor in August for my yearly physical I was just under 20 lbs heavier than I am now. I remember I had been stuck at a plateau for like 6 months and was really discouraged, and she told me to cut my carbs to like 45g a day. I joined MYP and have lost at a steady pace but its been really slow. Now I never cut carbs like she said I just tracked calories.But I have read that cutting carb intake speeds up weight loss and really helps with bellyfat which is my arch nemesis! Have any of you cut carbs significantly? What happens If I start eating them at the recommended daily amount again? Are Carbs the enemy? Very confused but would like to shake things up a bit!

Replies

• gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey rydanip.. I'm going to point you to one of my favorite websites reddit.com.. they have a FAQ on something called ketogentic. It sounds just like what the dr is trying to get you to do..

http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto

here is an exerpt..

What is keto?
    The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. Ketosis is the state characterized by elevated levels of ketone bodies in the blood. Very simply put ketosis is when your body stops using glucose for energy and instead uses fat broken down into ketones.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You need to do some research. Cut the unhealthy carbs. Fruit, veggies, avocado, whole wheat, just to name a few , are good for you, IN PORTION CONTROL!

Belly fat is cardio. You cannot spot reduce. Exercise and healthy eating will eventually help with excess fat.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I tried low carb once. Fainted on my way home from my nightly run. That was scary.

When you go low carb you will drop a lot of --> water <-- weight. You don't always lose fat faster. And yes, when you add in carbs you gain this water weight back.

Carbs are not the enemy. A surplus of calories is the cause
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to cut the processed sugars from your diet.
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat Lean meat and green vegetables whenever possible, and I have string cheese and fruits that don't have a lot of sugar as snacks. I stay away from corn, bread, and sugar at all costs!!! I've lost 41 pounds in like 2 months so cutting carbs really works well!
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OH and also I work out like it's crack (most of the time) Cardio cardio cardio!
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I eat Lean meat and green vegetables whenever possible, and I have string cheese and fruits that don't have a lot of sugar as snacks. I stay away from corn, bread, and sugar at all costs!!! I've lost 41 pounds in like 2 months so cutting carbs really works well!

Are you saying that you lost weight because you cut carbs? Because if you are in a calorie deficit you WILL lose weight.

If it fits into your macros....om nom nom
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of carbs you eat (your diary isn't public), but if you're eating 'white' carbs like white bread, rice, refined sugar, then maybe you should just try to eat more whole grain breads, brown rice, etc.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You need to do some research. Cut the unhealthy carbs. Fruit, veggies, avocado, whole wheat, just to name a few , are good for you, IN PORTION CONTROL!

Belly fat is cardio. You cannot spot reduce. Exercise and healthy eating will eventually help with excess fat.

There is not a healthy/unhealthy carb and cardio does not target belly fat.

Eat all your carbs in the evening in a short window and adjust down to around 100gms a day and you will see benefit.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    But I have read that cutting carb intake speeds up weight loss and really helps with bellyfat which is my arch nemesis! Have any of you cut carbs significantly? What happens If I start eating them at the recommended daily amount again? Are Carbs the enemy? Very confused but would like to shake things up a bit!
    Carbs are not the enemy. I typically eat 180-280 grams of carbs a day (in maintenance) - carbs have been set to 50% of my cals the entire time I've been using MFP. I lost 12 pounds and dropped my body fat almost 5% in 6 months, and lost 4.5" off my waist. I just posted my progress in a blog post.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Carbs cover a lot of territory. My enemy is starches -- even the "good" ones. I followed the 17-Day Diet for 3 months, which in the first phase eliminates all starches while retaining light fruits and vegetables, lean meats, non-fat dairy, and eggs. I have lost and maintained the loss of 30 pounds since then. I eat some starches now, but I still eliminate then from my regular routine and just use them for treats.

Weight loss from restricting carbs is NOT water weight loss. Only at first, as the fiber (filled with water) moves through your system.

The whole purpose of a reducing diet is to force your body to burn its stored fat. As long as carbohydrate energy is flowing through your system freely and regularly, your body will not turn to fat for energy. Thus, the reduction in carb intake.

At least, this has been completely true for me. On a routine basis, my carb count hovers around 75-80g per day. And yes, I do work out. I'm a dancer and a backpacker and I lift weights.
  • irefusetoquit
    Options
    rydanip, I was on the ketogenetic diet 30 years ago. I changed to a wholesome diet. Over the years, I needed to work on my own nutrition. So I researched foods that I would eat along with the their nutritional contents and designed my own nutrition plan around it. Mhotch is right on - cardio will help burn off belly fat, but I'd like to add to it. Weight training will build lean muscle, and the cardio will burn off the fat. Working your legs in cardio will burn fat on the lower part of your body.

Eating the right food is like putting good fuel in a car. With good fuel, the car runs. When a car has bad fuel, it doesn't run well. Same is true for your body. Lean proteins, fruit, vegetables are important.

Everyone is different. You have to find what works with you and be consistent about it. If you need help, let me know. I'll be happy to help.
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Low-carb works for me. I've never felt faint or light headed and I work out with a personal trainer four days a week.

The key is what carbs you eat. Obviously, if you low-carb or not, cut out all white flour products, white rice, white pasta, sugar and sugary syrups, cakes, cookies,etc. This is smart no matter what.

When I low-carb, I turn my habitual American eating habits on their head - breakfast is my heaviest meal of the day, usually accounting for 40% of my overall calorie intake. Dinner is my lightest meal of the day, rarely accounting for more than 20% of my daily calories. Someone said it best & I don't know who, but a good rule is, "Eat like a King at breakfast, a Prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner.

Good luck!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Just like fat wasn't the enemy back a few years ago. In moderation, NOTHING is the "enemy". It is over indulging in anything that is the enemy to weight loss. Plain and simple.

That being said, different people respond differently. For me, cutting carbs makes me feel terrible. I am sluggish. All I want to to is sleep. Also, I tend to gain weight when I drop my carbs very low. I've spoken to a doctor about it and she said that everyone's body responds differently to different things and to do what works for me.

Figure out what works for YOU and YOUR BODY. Don't base your decisions on what works for anyone else. :) I truly believe that the key to success in this journey is learning about your body. To listen to it. To try and understand it.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I went low carb/gluten free... at first very strictly only salad. veg with meat or fish for meals and some fruits. I missed my toast so I found some gluten free bread and allowed it once a week, but i had to burn at least 500 extra cals that day and never had more than 1 carb item in one day.. so couldnt have toast at breakfast AND a small jacket potato for tea.

I love my chocolate brownies and that was always gonna be my major weakness but found a gluten free one. Only thing I couldn't cut out was my yorkshire puds as I'm a yorkshire lass and been having them every sunday for over 40years! .. but I reduced it to a mini one and replace the potatoes with either parsnips or turnip cut into roast potato shapes or carrot/swede mash instead of mashed potato.. I do a workout sunday morning.

All other meals in week don't contain carbs I replace them with butternut squash, parsnip chips, etc.. I allow sweet potato once a week.

My water retention greatly improved and after experimenting it seems I only pile it back on more or less instantly if the carb is heavy portion of wheat based carbs (ie pasta, regular bread) and more than 1 day in a row.

I will re-introduce more carbs more frequently as I get closer to my goal weight but will probably stick with gluten free bread rather than going back to regular bread.. and maybe allow 1 meal a week with carbs so can have chips, jacket spud or a curry and rice if I fancy it as an occasional treat.

I found that if i have small portion of carbs midweek or weekend and the days at either side I stick to diet strictly I don't put on any extra water weight... currently only putting on an extra 1lb a day by bedtime.. if I eat carbs more than 2 days in a row it goes up by 3-5lbs again.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

OP: Did you have a fasting blood glucose test done and do you have diabetes or are you insulin resistant?

I would find out the above, or at the very least, find out why your doctor is recommending a reduced carb intake. This is important.

If your doctor provides you with a medical reason to avoid/reduce them, then you should probably avoid/reduce them and disregard this thread entirely.

If your doctor is suggesting you reduce carbs because carbs make you fat, you should find a new doctor immediately.
  • rydanip
    rydanip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In response to ketosis I was on the HCG diet about a year ago which is extreme though I did lose a significant amount of weight and have only fluctuated 10 pounds give or take above what I lost. If any of you know what that is your body is def in ketosis because its in starvation mode. While it helped me shed weight fast, I also shed hair, and ENERGY. I couldn't exercise if you paid me to while I was doing that, and that's my biggest concern with going really low. But I also have PCOS which is a metabolic disorder, and it causes insulin to spike. I don't eat White Carbs except potatoes. My bread and pastas and rice are all whole grain (100% wheat). I eat yogurt with fruit (chobani) often and I eat about 2-3 fruit servings per day. I also eat oatmeal which keeps me pretty full, more so than eggs and turkey sausage. I just don't want to feel hungry because that's when I mess up, just being honest. I'm doing 1500 cal a day on MYP
  • rydanip
    rydanip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

OP: Did you have a fasting blood glucose test done and do you have diabetes or are you insulin resistant?

I would find out the above, or at the very least, find out why your doctor is recommending a reduced carb intake. This is important.

If your doctor provides you with a medical reason to avoid/reduce them, then you should probably avoid/reduce them and disregard this thread entirely.

If your doctor is suggesting you reduce carbs because carbs make you fat, you should find a new doctor immediately.

Bingo. I have PCOS which makes me Insulin Resistant
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Bingo. I have PCOS which makes me Insulin Resistant

That being the case, I would absolutely listen to your doctor and reduce carbs per her advice. Give it a good two weeks or so as it may take time to adjust in terms of how you feel on a low carb diet.