University;;;;

Options
Hello all~

So I've found out I've been accepted into the universities I applied for.
It's almost guaranteed that I'll have to live on residence during this time.
Exciting stuff, except I'm a little worried about the meal plans they've got set up.
For one of the universities I applied for, buying the meal plan is mandatory (likeUofTneedstorollaroundinanymoremoney...)
I looked into what kind of foods they serve as well, and although they've got 'veggies' (godknowswhatkindhowthey'remadeorifthey'reanygood..) down for most days of the week, the majority of the foods sound slightly questionable.. (mac and cheese.. "PASTA NIGHT", greek pie, etcetc..)

To avoid that freshman 15 that everyone talks about, should I be avoiding meal plans all together? Would it be a better idea to prepare meals myself; or is this too much of a hassle?
Or should I be sticking to a university closer to home, stay there, and mooch food ; D

CARE TO REMINISCE ON YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCES ANYONE? <3

(On another note, I dont know why this is what I'm concerned about. I should be thinking about student loans and whatever else..)

Replies

• muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    Hello all~

So I've found out I've been accepted into the universities I applied for.
    It's almost guaranteed that I'll have to live on residence during this time.
    Exciting stuff, except I'm a little worried about the meal plans they've got set up.
    For one of the universities I applied for, buying the meal plan is mandatory (likeUofTneedstorollaroundinanymoremoney...)
    I looked into what kind of foods they serve as well, and although they've got 'veggies' (godknowswhatkindhowthey'remadeorifthey'reanygood..) down for most days of the week, the majority of the foods sound slightly questionable.. (mac and cheese.. "PASTA NIGHT", greek pie, etcetc..)

To avoid that freshman 15 that everyone talks about, should I be avoiding meal plans all together? Would it be a better idea to prepare meals myself; or is this too much of a hassle?
    Or should I be sticking to a university closer to home, stay there, and mooch food ; D

CARE TO REMINISCE ON YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCES ANYONE? <3

(On another note, I dont know why this is what I'm concerned about. I should be thinking about student loans and whatever else..)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I did gain in college (Purdue), but I also wasn't really watching my weight. My dorm always had a salad bar, and I could have gone to other dorms to eat healthier also. There were exercise rooms and a sports/fitness facility available too. I did lose a few lbs my junior year b/c I was getting married that summer. Now they have more food courts there with loads of healthy options, so it would be even easier to watch weight. Are there several places you can eat on campus that are covered by the food plan?
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a meal plan. Meal plan = socializing = lots of new friends right away. Don't live at home and mooch! College is when you get out and gain independence!

(Background--I go to NYU as a junior and had a meal plan for my freshman year only, when it was mandatory)

My meal plan was aramark (check and see which company does the food at your school) and aramark did a great job. Whole grain pizza crust on some nights, fresh veggie stir-fry's, nutrition booth computers where you could look up each food for their nutrition facts, and a fabulous salad bar all day (breakfast it was a fruit and yogurt bar).

I gained a little weight in college, but all because I was tempted by desserts and spent long hours in the food courts or dining halls with my friends. The food was seriously good food. Most of it was made special to order right in front of you and you could see the ingredients going into it. It takes self control, but like Amy B said there are usually great exercise places at big universities.

I do all my cooking for myself now and miss my meal plan so much! :grumble:
  • cpres11
    cpres11 Posts: 7
    Options
    i'm in college right now and i live on campus and have a meal plan. definitely get a meal plan, its going to provide you a way to socialize and meet new people without pressure, so definitely do it. and, it is definitely possible to eat right while going to the dining hall. typically there are veggies available (at my school we have everything from brocolli florets to mexicali corn, etc). its possible your school could have a salad bar as well; mine has one and its pretty good. they have basically every salad ingredient you could think of available.

also, i just want to point out from my personal experience, that i would worry less about the dining hall making you gain weight, than about social experiences. for example, my freshman year of college, if i was hanging out with some friends, and it was 2am, and somebody really wanted to order a pizza, i would order with them. and that's why i'm in the predicament i am in today! so watch out for that as well.

i just started at MFP a few weeks ago and its taken my some time to fall into a groove regarding the dining hall, but not that i've got the hang of it i'm hoping to see the pounds start dropping off :)

enjoy college and take it one day at a time, you will love it!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Meal plans aren't that bad. My school uses Aramark as well and they have a good variety of healthy options. U of T is huge, I think at least 6 times bigger than my school, they have to have a sweet meal plan. Toronto is all about health trends too so they'd have to be on board.
    You must be really excited!! :happy: How will you choose your school? It's tough eh.
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input~
    Not so worried about the meal plan anymore, but like sarahemilyrn and cpress said, socializing may lead to over eating ; D I'll have to watch out for that, thank you :3

muu, choosing my school.. I don't even know where to begin ;__;
    When I applied I was unsure of what I wanted to go into, so currently I've got the options of going into fine arts, arts, commerce, life sciences, or nursing...

.______________.;;;
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm studying nursing and I love it! I highly recommend it of course :bigsmile: