Three Cheers for Extracurricular Activities in School

Options
CaptainGordo
CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
I credit my involvement in fine arts with keeping me out of trouble. My life changed completely when I was too busy rehearsing in high school to get into trouble. I also didn't want to do anything grades-wise or behavior-wise that would jeopardize my eligibility to participate.

I look forward to supporting my kid's involvement in extracurricular activities. Mind you -- I said "supporting" and not "forcing".

Any other success stories out there -- whether it be fine arts, sports or another school-sanctioned extracurricular activity?

Replies

• Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. I always played sports. Every season I was involved in something. It was excellent as it forced me to keep my grades up, I learned a lot about traditions and leadership, as well as time management skills. You do miss a lot of class time as an athlete, but it forces you to be proactive and work with your teachers so you don't get behind. Even playing baseball in college, I had to keep up and communicate with my professors in order to stay on task to remain eligible.

The skills and lessons I learned can not be duplicated in the classroom and I don't think I'd be as successful professionally with out them. Anyone can earn a degree but learning to apply the knowledge is priceless.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Well, it wasn't necessarily about keeping me out of trouble, but I did a lot of public speaking activities in school, and I credit that with preparing me for college and "the real world," where I was and am frequently expected to speak in front of groups, both small and large. It is something I thrive on now, and I know I'd have a major case of stage fright if not for the opportunities I had in school.

But I think this is true about all forms of extracurriculars. Kids need an outlet for their talent, energy, and creativity. I also do not condone forcing kids into anything they don't want to do, but I think kids definitely the support of their parents, teachers, and school administrators when they find something they enjoy and can excel at, not to mention taking lessons from those activities into their future academic and professional endeavors.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Me! I absolutely love sports. It is the reason I am able to afford to go to my university! :D
    I am the same as you. I stayed out of trouble throughout high school because I don't want any dumb decision to cause me to lose play time. It tought me leadership, teamwork, helped with social skills, made me a tough girl, and I love it. Yayy sports!
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    my daughter went through a special program for her 3 years of middle school, kind of accelerated academics (grading scale was A, B or F) meets Outward Bound (massive amounts of camping & backpacking trips for which they were fully responsible for all there own meals, equipment and behavior). i strongly believe that this environment impacted her entire being, with regard to academia as well as self esteem. WIN!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Band kept me out of trouble for years, and gave me confidence in my ability to learn and excel at something.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I just watched "Hoop Dreams" this weekend. Love it. :flowerforyou:

Sometimes sports is the ONLY positive thing going on in some of our boys lives. :cry:
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    JROTC all the way.

Honestly, I signed up to get out of a science class initially lol but ended up loving it.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Band kept me out of trouble for years, and gave me confidence in my ability to learn and excel at something.

Woo! Band Geeks, unite! I would have never attended a football or basketball game if it weren't for marching band and pep band.

I could also be found in the art room before an after school most days.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    For me it was community theatre... my high school didn't have much of a drama program, but I was lucky enough to live in an area with a very high-quality community theatre circuit!! I did about 6 or 7 musicals when I was in high school... it was so much fun, a great creative outlet, and something for me to look forward to after school!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people whose only dream is to play football. Yes, odds are against them, but at least they have a dream. When Devin Hester was in high school, he was asked what he would be doing in ten years. He said playing professional football. He was then asked what his plan B was if he did not make it. He responded to go back to plan A. I know sports kept me on the straight and narrow throughout my youth, and I see the same in my children who have all participated in EC activities. So I say three cheers, a snap and a twist for EC activities in school.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    My 17 year old (and current senior) would have been lost in his high school years without his football team. He needed to feel like he belonged to something (something that he wasn't feeling at home), and would have probably joined a gang if he hadn't found football. His 2 older brothers attended a college preparatory high school, but he isn't as 'academic' as they are. He needed something else to keep him engaged in school. I thank his coaches all the time!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I only cared about academics because I couldn't play sports with failing grades. It forced me to give a damn about school work!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    My son is in ROTC and its a great thing!
  • J_Matt
    J_Matt Posts: 13
    Options
    Football taught me some important life lessons.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I credit sports for keeping me from having an ED in high school.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Idle hands are the Devil's plaything...

Keeping kids active and engaged is the best way to keep them out of trouble!
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Between working on the farm and football, I didn't have to get into trouble. I learned some valuable lessons in football that helped me a lot when I got into the Army.
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree. I have one in band and one in football. They both love it so much that they stay out of trouble and keep their grades up to be able to continue doing their extracurricular stuff. I don't mind one bit carting them all over town to their different functions because I know that they are far better off for it.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more!! Academics are important yes - so is being a well rounded socialized individual.
  • Justine13
    Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree! I was involed in almost every sport my highschool had to offer and one of the requirements by the coaches was to keep your grades up. I also found that i consentrated more in class so i wouldn't have as much home work because i knew alot of my evening was already taken up. my son just turned 5 and already loves baseball and hockey. I'm excited to see where things will take him though school.