Ok MFPers, give me the 411 on your HRM hates/faves! :)

Options
Okay, I have posted this a few times, but I'm still unsure... I want to get a really good HRM with pretty accurate calorie counting (no chest straps please!) I've heard good things about the ePulse2, Polar watches, Body Media Fit, BodyBugg, and a few others, but I'm still stuck - there are too many to choose from! I've read some reviews as well, but I want to hear from the MFP community! I know we all have our own preferences, but there is no better advice than people who have tried it!

What has worked/hasn't worked for you in terms of a Heart Rate Monitor and calorie accuracy?

As always, thanks for listening! :)

Replies

• inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bodybugg is the best. I used heart rate monitor before that but bodybugg measures all the time, every movement, every second of the day. Here are some charts http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/394625-my-bodybugg-results?page=1#posts-5433274
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would actually like to see what ppl say about this as well...I hope to get one in the future as well! Sorry, i guess i am not answering any of your questions...lol
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 and I LURVE it!! Seriously love it.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The key is that you're saying no chest strap and unfortunately those are the most accurate ones :(

Polar is an excellent brand. If they make any that do not use a chest strap my gut would say look into those first

This.

I have the Polar FT7 and it is great.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT 7 and love it. It does have the chest strap, which gives you the most accurate readings. The only downside I see to my HR monitor is it doesn't have a timer feature. It ticks from the time you start to finish, but if I want to do intervals or anything like that I have to use another watch or my phone. Other than that I love it. I have used mine religiously since August.
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    The key is that you're saying no chest strap and unfortunately those are the most accurate ones :(

Polar is an excellent brand. If they make any that do not use a chest strap my gut would say look into those first

i agree with her. also, polar has a HRM that the chest strap is built into a sports bra, if that helps any! I LOVE my HRM. (polar FT4)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

This.

I third this.

You need a chest strap.. no matter how much you may not want one.

I have the Polar FT7 and it's wonderful.. Easy to use and set up, plus accurate at estimating calories burned.
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 and I LURVE it!! Seriously love it.

I just got the Polar FT7 as well - and love it! It got good reviews on Amazon, was reasonably priced and a couple bonus points: you can change the batteries yourself w/o sending it to the manufacturer and the chest strap (which I didn't think I'd like) - is fabric, not plastic, so it's comfortable AND can be thrown in the washer!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. Best evar
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Just be careful and look at a few things when making a decision. I will start by saying that I work for Polar. I will not try to sway you there, I think there are enough people that are Polar users on this Board that will tell you how they feel about them.

But it MUST have a transmitter with heart rate to be accurate for calories. Products like the Bodybug are not as accurate because they do not take your actual activity PLUS intensity into affect. So if you entered the same thing in there as your twin sister ( if you had one), and did the same thing, you would get the same calorie burn. And that's not correct. It has to factor in your Mets, which are derived from personal data, PLUS you heart rate. Its the same reason why machines like treadmills are not accurate...

Plus, you don't need to track your calories 24/7. Its the added exercise or fitness calories burned that are what are important to know.

Good luck. If you have any more questions I would be happy to help.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

I agree! I have a polar FT7 with a chest strap and I love it... The body bugg sounds nice, but they are super expensive..
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    Mio Shape!

no strap it takes your pulse with two fingers. tracks calories in and out. and crhono gives calories burned.
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump.. looking at getting on for Christmas. I really like the look of the Polar FT60!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Are any of these polars unisex?
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Yes most all models come in Male/Unisex and female styles
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

This.

I agree with the above posts. I have had the Polar FT7 for almost 3 months now and love it. It was worth every penny.

I'm not sure what your concern about the chest strap is so I can't address that specifically but I find the chest strap to really be no big deal, especially after I get started exercising. I would not even think about buying one without a chest strap for fear of inaccuracy. Also, the ones that are wrist only HRMs do not show a constant reading and require you to touch the watch or a button on it to get a current reading. That is something that can be a hassle while exercising.
  • gdb86
    gdb86 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I knew there would be chest strap protesters out there (because I know it's more accurate) I just personally can't see realistically using it day in and day out for myself. To each their own though! That's why I was asking for success with other options because I don't want to spend the moolah on something I know I just won't use. I've really considered Body Media Fit or BodyBugg for awhile I just didn't want to deal with a monthly subscription cost on top of the cost for the device itself. I like the idea that it tracks everything though not just exercise, but also when you sleep!

All great advice though! If there are any more commenters please feel free to add your thoughts! As always - happy losing!