Thanksgiving Dinner

Options
Ok so I need help. This is going to be my 1st Thanksgiving where Im mindful what i eat so I need HELP!!
I want to make healthier ? smarter choices. I already know not to over do and so on and so forth however Im hoping you can help me decied what is the better Choice.

Turkey or Ham
Dark Meat or White Meat
Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes
White or Wheat Rolls
Butter or Gravy
Stuffing alternative??

Thank you all I have been trying to rack my brain and I truly dont have the answers.

Replies

• marissa4354
    Options
    Checkout skinnytaste.com

There's awesome low cal recipies for Thanksgiving. :)
  • opalw
    opalw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank You :wink:
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm scouting for healthier versions of favorites that the family will like. Also, I'm thinking I'll hit Bed Bath and Beyond or Target for some smaller sized dinner plates. Portion control is going to be a toughie.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    First pick what is most satisfying to you and go with that
    If you are looking for lower cal/most nutritious, i would do
    Turkey
    White meat
    Sweet potatoes
    whole wheat rolls
    Gravy
    And skip the stuffing....i dont really like it.

Turkey or Ham
    Dark Meat or White Meat
    Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes
    White or Wheat Rolls
    Butter or Gravy
    Stuffing alternative??

Thank you all I have been trying to rack my brain and I truly dont have the answers.
    [/quote]
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Also checkout Cookinglight.com they have a great list of Thanksgiving staples and I haven't been disappointed with their recipes yet.

But on other notes: Turkey, white meat, Sweet potatoes, wheat rolls, butter/gravy (about the same) , try cornbread stuffing.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you are so conscientious, but I have found from personal experience that dinner guests don't appreciate "healthy" if its the only choice.
    My suggestion is to make enough that Thanksgiving be one meal on one day and not a 4 day event(which it was when I was a kid).
    I am sure whatever you do will be great.

Enjoy
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    white meat turkey, no potatoes unless you love them, no gravy, no stuffing, green salad before dinner to fill you up, lots of veggies without a lot of the onion things or cheese or whatever to mess them up. a little olive oil if you need them.eat only what you love that you wouldnt get otherwise.I am having pecan pie because I dont get it any other time of the yr.get a workout in before dinner. most gyms are open or get up early to do a dvd, and walk with the family afterwards!
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Agree...check out skinnytaste.com. I've made several of these recipies and I don't follow weight watchers...they are simply great, healthy and delish. Many options on the site both new this year and from years past for the holidays. Also, subsitute/adjust your normal recipies as well with healthier options it makes a huge difference (i.e. low sodium chicken broth in mashed potatoes and cut the butter in half etc). Over all the meal isn't too bad if you just keep to good portions and make a few adjustments. It is one day, enjoy the food and the company and if the weather is decent, take a walk after dinner. Not a "workout" walk, but just something to break up the sedenatary aspects of the day.

I don't stress about food on the holidays anymore. I control my choices. I plan for they day in that I want to enjoy my family and friends. These days are few and far between and life is too short.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1. Turkey (white meat, NO skin) over ham
    2. Potatoes - toss up. White - if mashed with skim milk or broth. Sweet if you don't go crazy with the add ins (brown sugar, butter, etc)
    3. Wheat rolls over white anyday of the week
    4. Gravy - fat CAN be lowered
    5. Stuffing - Fat can be lowered, use whole grain breads, definitely cook outside of the bird. Use lots of veggies in there (celery, onions, water chesnuts ... yum!)
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fill your plate with veggies (Sweet potatoes, green beans, salad) and add some turkey. If you LOVE mashed potatoes and/or stuffing, put a little bit on your plate, but don't get seconds.

My experience is it's better to give yourself a little bit of something you really want instead of totally depriving yourself. So I'll put a little stuffing, a little scoop of mashed potatoes, and a drizzle of gravy on my plate alongside the loads of veggies and some meat. After dinner, I'll have a small slice of pecan pie (about the same amount of calories as a regular slice of pumpkin pie, but what can I say, I LOVE pecan pie).

If I deprive myself, I'm more likely to enter a vicious cycle of binging, feeling guilty, and then depriving again...it's just not good.
  • sheshell43
    sheshell43 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just read an article about eating during the holidays and holding your Ground -

Here are a few tips
    1. On Thanksgiving Morning, make sure to eat a healthy breakfast so you want be starving at lunch/dinner time
    2. Have a small healthy snack 3 hours before your BIG meal
    3. After you eat your meal, instead of lounging around take a 30 min walk with some family members
    4. Stick with eating the White meat (4-6oz)
    5. When it comes to Carbs, AVOID BREAD, eat a small spoonful of stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole
    6. Plan to have a slice of pie - Don't beat yourself up - Enjoy it & Move on!!!
    7. Eat Slowly
    8. Remove your plate as soon as you feel like you've eaten enough
    9. Avoid eating leftovers later in the evening, instead have some protein and a salad or other simple veggies and KEEP DRINKING WATER
    10. Next Day - Go right back to your Normal Program

Hope this helps!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cranberries - make them fresh, super easy. This way you control the sugar. Use fruit juice instead of water, and then reduce the sugar .... or use a sugar substitute (if desired)

Weight Watchers has a recipe for sweet potatoes with candied ginger and apples - Yum! I will have to find this.one.....

Also .....
    LIGHT CROCK POT SWEET POTATOES .... serve with a slotted spoon. Dieters can drain most of the sauce.

6 medium (2 lbs.) sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into ½” cubes
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    1/3 - 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar (or Splenda mix) .... dark sugar has a stronger flavor
    1- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted

Total Time: 3 hours (on high)
    1. Place sweet potatoes in 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over potatoes.
    2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.
    3. Sprinkle with nuts.
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    It's one day. Eat what you want and go for a LONG walk before or after. LOL
  • deb968
    deb968 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am running a turkey trot that morning.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day! Don't go crazy and eat for hours on end (like I did in previous years) but don't worry about calories that day.....enjoy the company of family and friends. Spend the day counting your blessings, not calories! :)