tips on how to survive thanksgiving????

Options
does anyone have any tips on how to survive turkey day without leaving the table an extra five lbs heavier?! lol! just started my diet today, i'm hoping i wont completely gorge next thursday. lol

Replies

• mavers1
    mavers1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've been worrying about this all month!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Make it one meal on one day. Not a weekend long event.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Exercise before the meal to earn extra calories...and enjoy yourself....it only comes once a year
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    portion control. honestly, thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed, but that being said... you can have a couple bites of everything, fill up on good stuff (and water) and not have to be rolled away from the table.

I'm planning on enjoying it and having a little bit of everything, but no heaping helpings on my plate!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Small p[ortions and liste to when your full, but I plan on still enjoying it!!
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Take small portions, eat slowly with lots of water inbetween. Fills you up faster!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    exactly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You get a free pass that day. Tell 'em I said so.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Turkey is your friend... cheese covered things (broccoli casserole) is NOT your friend. Just aim for the healthier foods, and if there are only fattening items on the table, go for just a taste... not a full serving of the less-healthy foods. Fill up on the turkey.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I plan on trying a little bit of everything, not giant mounds of food! I will also allow myself to try a little bit of pie, but I do not need a slice of each kind, which is what I've usually done!!!

I'm also gonna try to exercise the day of, to earn some extra calories before I go.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I plan on stuffing my face on thanksgiving. I ain't doing this calorie count crap for nothing!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    work out hard all week, and enjoy the day. Thats my plan!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    portion control. honestly, thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed, but that being said... you can have a couple bites of everything, fill up on good stuff (and water) and not have to be rolled away from the table.

I'm planning on enjoying it and having a little bit of everything, but no heaping helpings on my plate!

^^^absolutely this!!^^

also, pay attention to your body when you get full, dont keep eating after that point. and msot importantly rememember it's one day a year- if you do go overboard...dont beat yourself up!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    exactly.

That's my plan for it! One day. The weekend will be logged. How many calories do you burn Black Friday shopping.....?
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Small portions - allow yourself a little of everything and just go for walks or something to increase the exercise.
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to enjoy yourself! The turkey is actually pretty good for you so don't worry about that - focus on the side dishes!

It's all about portion control! If you want something, try to stick with sample sizes...a few bites won't kill your diet.

Exercise before you eat!

Drink lots of water before and during your meal! It will help you feel full and keep you from over eating!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    exactly.

That's my plan for it! One day. The weekend will be logged. How many calories do you burn Black Friday shopping.....?

I hadn't even thought of black friday shopping....definitely gets my adrenaline going, lol...maybe I'll wear my hrm? haha
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't do Thanksgiving so I don't have that problem... but I do apply these tips at other gatherings of family and friends :)

1. Tell everyone ahead of time what you're trying to do and not to tempt you
    2. Do your workout before you start eating that day, it will help ur metabolism
    3. Drink lots of water
    4. Eat a very small portion of everything so you don't feel deprived or that you're missing out on anything
    5. Eat lots of veggies and fresh fruit before you start eating anything else
    6. Talk alot so your mouth stays busy doing something other than eating!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself for one day, and keep it to one day, rather than a 4-day weekend eat fest. Friday is back to normal.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Personally I am going to sign up for the Turkey Trot and burn those calories before I get my face stuffed on Thanksgiving!