So now teachers are bullying?

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like bullying to me. That sounds like verbal child abuse.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    what a couple of cows. Im glad theyve lost their jobs.

I thought the presenter was a bit patronising to the girl though
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does, indeed.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I saw that. It's a reaction many people have when interacting with a kid with special needs. I've seen it so much, I don't cringe any more. But I do see it. Best we can do it model different behavior. Most kids - or their parents/support staff - will let you know if there are any communication issues to be aware of. Unless explicitly told different, on first contact, assume the kid can hear and understand you as well everyone else in the room.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I'd be in jail if I were the dad.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well I am going to be a teacher, but first off, if I ever saw or heard any of this I wouldn't have a job those women would have been clawed up!!!

Unfortunately you see people like that as teachers, there are people in my classes who are like I hate kids I wish they just cry and whine.....and I am like WHY IN THE HECK ARE YOU TRYING TO BE A TEACHER! One girl even admitted she hated kids and didn't want to teach, but it was the best vocation to find a husband.

I am doing teaching because I think kids are awesome, but there are many out there who are bitter or just looking for a paycheck.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I had maybe three teachers through K – 12 (kindergarten, 3rd grade, sr engilsh) who were bullies, the rest in grade school were remarkable and in jr high and high school again average to remarkable. Considering the sheer number of adults I came in contact with during that time (a teacher per year in grade school plus gym, arts, and music and then changing classes and teachers beginning in 7th grade) I think that’s pretty good. No, I don’t think it’s okay for a teacher to bully, if that’s what you’re getting out of this, I think it’s pretty good that it wasn’t a part of the culture at my schools.
    I’m not listening, it will break my heart, I’m so glad that the dad did this though. If we don’t protect our children who will?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I saw that. It's a reaction many people have when interacting with a kid with special needs. I've seen it so much, I don't cringe any more. But I do see it. Best we can do it model different behavior. Most kids - or their parents/support staff - will let you know if there are any communication issues to be aware of. Unless explicitly told different, on first contact, assume the kid can hear and understand you as well everyone else in the room.

It annoys me, I think people should still have the benefit of being spoken to like theyre not imbeciles, even if they do have learning difficulties/special needs
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    We had an instance of a teacher grabbing my little sister when she was in elementry school so hard it bruised her arms badly, and a T.A. trying to bully me in elementry. My mother showed up both times ready to unleash hell. My mom is about 5'9, and when her or most of the women in my family get angry, think Sigourney Weaver from Aliens.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Wow, that made me want to cry. How heartbreaking for a child to go through that. Way to destroy that poor kid's self esteem! The teacher should get fired too!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    It's sad, really. I wouldn't have been able to handle it the way the dad does, I would have gladly punched her in the teeth. Fortunately, the only case of bullying by a teacher I've ever seen wasn't even directed at me, but made me despise the teacher nonetheless. It was actually only about a month ago. A friend of mine, Lauren, works really hard, studies a lot, etc, but tends to blank out on tests. She had probably a C in the class, so passing, but she wanted to do better. She asked out loud in the class if there was anything we could do for extra credit or to build up our grades a little. She replied, "Well you could try getting it right in the first place." Totally uncalled for, and I'm very glad I don't have her as a teacher anymore. She also used to brag out loud about my grades when everyone else didn't do as well, and tell everyone what I got, which is ridiculous and embarrassing, not to mention makes everyone hate me -.-
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Oopsie, double post :)
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

Exactly!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 year old with autism. At Open House this year I asked his teacher how he was doing socially and he replied, "He sits in the back with the other weird kids, so he's fine".
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

It annoys me, I think people should still have the benefit of being spoken to like theyre not imbeciles, even if they do have learning difficulties/special needs
    I agree. But I don't let it bother me any more. It's this weird innate thing that I suspect most people don't even realize they are doing - similar to baby talk around babies or animals. I think the behavior is condescending, but I don't think it's as intentional as is looks.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 year old with autism. At Open House this year I asked his teacher how he was doing socially and he replied, "He sits in the back with the other weird kids, so he's fine".
    That's when I would have wanted to beat down said teacher, but instead reported it to his superiors.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Teachers are not always so perfect. In 7th grade, I wrote a story for assignment. It was really just a couple of paragraphs. The teacher asked if anyone wanted her to read theirs aloud. Of course I wanted this. She read it with a puzzled look on her face the whole time, stumbling over words, not pausing at periods before starting the next sentence. She basically read it like it was one long run-on sentence. She completely ridiculed it when she was done. I tried really hard not to cry. She saw my eyes, and asked out loud, "aww, are you gonna cry?"

That may sound tame to you, but the whole class turned and laughed at me. It was awful. No...teachers are not always perfect.

What is her name and what school was this? I seriously want to beat tail right now for doing that to a child. My son is 13, in 8th grade and very sensitive. If something like that happened, he would probably start cutting school just to avoid it.

If you don't like your job, quit. I just don't get it!!
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    teahers have and always been bullys there was a principal(ELEMEMTARY) here that would throw kids up against the wall n pin thm there etc. needless to say he did finally get cought and fired. . . also there was a hs teacher who if u messed up on accident in band he would get mad and throw books, drum sticks, etc at u and yell. . . i also had a tech ed teacher(or two) that thought because i was a girl i was an idiot but yea people need to find a new profession if they cant treat people like humans
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    That's when I would have wanted to beat down said teacher, but instead reported it to his superiors.

Exactly how I felt, and exactly what I did.