After strength training, how long before cardio?

Options
crux
crux Posts: 454 Member
So I read somewhere (don't remember where, but I've a feeling it was on Lyle McDonalds site) that doing an endurance workout only a few hours after lifting for strength, would neutralise or stop any gains from the strength training.

I'm itching for a workout (run), but I lifted reasonably heavy at lunch time, 5 sets of squats and a set of deadlifts.

Anyone want to share their opinion or knowledge on this subject? Would I be wasting my lifting by going for a run later the same day?

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in opinions on this subject as I run 2 miles as a warm up every day I lift........
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I do cardio right after my heavy lift workouts. (that is if I can actually move my legs).

I can't say I've gotten STRONGER than my peak (10 years ago). But I've consistenly moved up during my last year or so of working out. ie.. relative to what I was doing a year ago, I've improved my strength. Bench, squats, deads, military press, curls, pulls ups etc. etc etc.

I triple set all my lifts, (main body part and two smaller muscle groups) and do cardio for about 30 min right after the lfits.

Lyle might be pointing to bulking but I don't think you have to worry about it unless you are an elite athelete or looking for that last 2-3% lift improvements. ie.. a max 1 rep lift.
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't know about negating the workout, but I do know rest is very important to muscle after being damaged (lifting)
    I tend to allow at least 36 hrs of rest after a leg workout before I run.
    Hope this helps!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question, but I am so amazed by all of these "rules".

My rules for workout are #1 be awake, #2 get done in time to pick up kids.
  • Kimberlycc
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is exactly correct, but I heard that cardio before weight lifting is better for calorie burn.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't think cardio will affect your muscle gains in anyway, (if that's your goal) as long as you replace the gained calorie deficit with some healthy calories - or whatever. I think the reason most people caution cardio is usually because if done before lifting, something about the cardiovascular session will take away from the buildup of lactic acid or something (do not quote me on it) , preventing you from a hard-session of weight lifting, so some people say if you're doing cardio do it AFTER a weight session, lightly and again - replace calories if builking or building muscle.

If losing fat - well it's tricky, because almost no matter what fat and muscle loss can go hand in hand.. So protein is good.

Just my opinion.

I do cardio on DIFFERENT days, to keep me motivated for one so I don't feel overworked (most weight session of 2 body parts for me average 60-90mins with high sets) but on a day where I do just SHOULDERS I will throw in 20 mins or so of cardio for a cool off thing, for Leg day I run 10mins to warm my muscle for squats..
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't think it negates anything. My trainer told me just to make sure I do strength BEFORE cardio. Other than that, I don't think it matters. He said that like stretching, some cardio after strength training can help release some of the lactic acid in your muscles and prevent soreness....he said it in much fancier terminology than that, but I think that's the general concept.

I would probably be wary of doing any high intensity cardio intervals after heavy lifting, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a run an hour or two after lifting.
  • ad_deutsch
    Options
    Two keys to boosting muscle growth are increased blood flow and protein. Both help to rebuild the muscle.

A cardio workout after lifting is beneficial to the lift because it increases blood flow to the areas that you worked while lifting. The one caveat is that if you do a hard leg lift day and then do sprints/intense leg oriented cardio, you will be again working the muscles and can overstimulate them. This shouldn't hurt growth so much as slow recovery time.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question, but I am so amazed by all of these "rules".

My rules for workout are #1 be awake, #2 get done in time to pick up kids.
    Those are my rules also!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If it's high intensity, the same day probably isn't a good idea, especially since you did lower-body dominant lifts. Low-medium intensity cardio is fine.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think you have to do what works best for you. I also do my weight work with a rest day inbetween - for weights. I still do my cardio everyday. I also do my cardio before my weight workout.

I started doing that when I was following the TurboFire calendar, on weight days, a half hour cardio, sometimes aerobic, sometimes anerobic, then a half hour of weights.

I am not an expert, but I don't think doing cardio will have a negative effect on your training.
  • crux
    Options
    Hmmm, well I agree that cardio following the lifting is not a problem, indeed I always do 20 mins stationary bike after lifting just for active recovery, already did that today, but that's straight after lifting, ie, the same workout session.

This would be a second unique session, 5 hours after I finished lifting.

I would normally leave 24 hours between my lifting session and my next major workout. But my recovery times and energy/motivation are getting crazy better with all the fitness training I have been doing. I want to go run, even if my head says let the muscles have some more repair time.

Goal for the next two months is strength gains ( with or without much hypertrophy ) so I'm still on the fence about it... Maybe I'll try a easy stead state run and see if it stalls my lift progress later in the week.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    To start, you want to warm up before strength train. But this is true for any workout. At least 5 minutes, but I would recommend a 15 minute walk maybe.

Do you strength train as normal, then realize you have about a 1-2 hour window after your weights that you burn max calories. This is the ideal time to do your cardio. A) you've likely already burned through your carb and sugar stores, and so your utilizing fat cals. Then after your cardio eat to restore whats been lost.

If you do cardio before, that's fine, BUT your not utilizing the natural availability of max cals you get after strength train. And you run the possibility that you blew through reserves and such before strength so your not capable of your peak.

That's what I am told by the exercise physiologists at my gym.
  • crux
    Options
    Ok, feedback...

I ran, and felt so good I ran a fast 5k...

This morning I woke to bad DOMS, much worse than I would expect from weights alone, it has also persisted throughout the day, in fact it's shot today's workout schedule down in flames. My legs are shot.

Lesson for me is learned, next time i'll sit tight or go for a beer instead! :laugh: