New guy introducing himself

Options
Hell all,

Picked up the MFP app a while ago, but have just now started using it. I decided to go to a party and now have a goal of losing the belly by February 16th, and then keeping it off after that.

I currently weight 185, (the most I've ever weighted) but my ideal weight is closer to 160. The program I've set up through MFP is fairly aggressive; 2 pounds a week. 13 weeks x 2 pounds/week = 26; just about right.

One question I have about the exercise tool is about counting calorie's burned. Is there a way to find out how many calories are burned from doing strength exercises and include that in the daily calculation?

Thanks!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to get a heart rate monitor that tracks calories specific to your body. The online calculators are often inaccurate. Polar sells a fairly inexpensive one that works well (I got the FT4 model)
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hard to say, you can put on muscle and that will help burn more fat in the long run, but as for short term I don't know.
  • Barbarablw
    Barbarablw Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Welcome..... request coming your way =)
  • james_designs
    james_designs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Knight,

Currently the only calorie burning info I get from the app is under the cardio tab / weight training. I was told that the weight training is harder to judge because of variable like the amount of weight and number of reps. I hope they add that soon because I am upping my weight training this Winter. Hope that info helps.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! you will do just great here, lots of people to help out :wink:
  • zigzag13
    zigzag13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    put it under general strength training ;)
  • jusjessr
    Options
    GOOD LUCK ..................... I'm right there with YA....
  • zigzag13
    zigzag13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    correction, put it under strength training under cardio ;)
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Search "strength training" under cardio, but the most accurate calculation will come from a HRM
  • Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    add me if youd like! Welcome!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i googled the exercise and found out that way. add me if ya like
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! Never had that happen in a forum before. :)

Lots of good feedback on my question too. Thank you! I'll look into HRM's and use the cardio exercises or Google in the mean time.

Awesome!