Impossible?

Options
Hi All...

This is day 2 for me...newer mom of 1...and I work at a place that is very relaxed and everyone brings food in on a daily basis. I am doing my BEST to stay away and just eating my healthy foods...but this is getting tough. I think I just need to come up with a way not to think about food. I have tried several times to lose weight, but have noticed that when I am more aware of what I am eating, I want to eat more. Sigh, please tell me this isn't impossible. Discipline!!!

~Leah

Replies

• Timothytim2
    Options
    I use MFP on my phone and love the way it keeps me on track! Also the friends I have met on here do a pretty good job of keeping me motivated!

Tim
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    just think of you health, im assuming you have children from you pic be healthy for them you can still have a treat every now and again but try to eat healthy most of the time. :-)
  • debswebby
    Options
    Its not impossible but its not easy either. There is always biscuits and cakes where I work but I tell myself that its easier to resist them than to be fat. OR have one and log it :smile:
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is not impossible!

You are right though, the more you try to watch what you eat the more you think about it.
    Have you tried having a healthy snack in your desk/station? It has taken me years of trying and falling off the diet wagon to get to the point where someone walking in with a tray of fresh donuts doesn't send me into a "need to have donuts".

It does get easier with time, just find a "treat" for yourself, that you like, and that is relatively healthy. And reward yourself with it when you've reached a mini goal (your choice). I've also found that the longer I've gone without a sugary treat the more taste everything else seems to have.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Try bringing your own food! It's not impossible. I lived with people who invited me all the time to the buffets, fast food places and such (and even bought junk to my room). At least you can leave them at the end of the day!! Lol. Keep your head up and keep your goals in mind!! Think positive (don't think about what you can't eat). Try thinking about your new body! Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    We all face this.

Choose to lose the weight or choose to eat the food.

It's really that simple. It gets easier. Do the best you possibly can and you'll be proud of yourself.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It is NOT impossible, Leah - it is SO possible! You can do it! Seriously - MFP has sooo many great sources for helpful hints, tips, ideas, ect, and great encouragement, too! My suggestion? Get a protein shake that you like (I love Dymatize Elite's shakes) and scoop out the right amount into several small containers and keep them in your purse/desk/glove box - that way, you always have one if you are in need of a quick 'meal' or calories. They give you a pretty satisfied feeling (without feeling like your pants are gonna rip). That's helped me avoid 'not good' foods a lot. Good luck! you CAN do it - now you just have to decide if you will or not. (I think you should :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Definitely not impossible... you just have to accept the ups and downs and patience required for good healthy, sustainable weight loss and weight management. That includes when you hit the plateaus and dealing with the days you overeat and not being obsessive about weighing yourself every day and being mortified you've gained the princely amount of a lb in weight ... you'll have good and bad days and weeks but you'll even it all out! We all have binges and indulgences or days we feel crap and can't work out, some of us get injured and some of us find ourselves in awkward social situations where calories in certainly don't match calories out! :)

Ive lost 13lbs since August... and I was already a healthy BMI, it's been hard work but I have never once deprived myself honestly and have a wide variety of food and not even "diet" stuff. Just become healthier, better balanced food and exercised both portion control... and my body!

Got much fitter too and even when I wasn't losing "weight" I was still losing size so there are a lot of Non Scale Victories to look at and assess too to help keep you going! :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Being two days in, you haven't even had a chance to begin disciplining yourself - and, believe me, I know about being UNdisciplined! You deserve that cookie/donut/brownie........you work hard....oh, one won't hurt! yahhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

But it does get easier. And do bring your own snacks - stay away from the area where food is, and plan your own healthier munchies. After a while, you won't even be tempted to eat the junk that others bring :)

Trust us - it does work!!!

Take care,

Polly
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My work goes through runs like that, where it seems there are always sweets - here is a trick i started doing...log what you want to eat BEFORE going to get it...i had a few things that just put me off because it left me with so few for the rest of the day.

Suzi
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The majority of the weight I've gained has been in the last 4 years with the same employer. We would do pot lucks, and eat out etc.

What is helping me stick to eating healthier is knowing that if I don't want to count calories, I don't have to. I'm not on a "diet".

I also try to log my days worth of food through a snack after dinner. Seeing my day planned out helps me stay focused. Planning my day ahead enables me to pack enough food for the day so I don't go hungry and stay below my calorie goal.

I don't eat 5-6 small meals a day but bring healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, yogurt etc) to eat in between meals and I bring enough so that I can eat at least every hour to hour and a half between my meals. I sometimes feel like I'm munching all day even though I know I'm not. Again, it helps keep me focused. :)

The important thing is, if you want to indulge in something being offered in the office, then do so. Make sure you do it in moderation and log it. That's the only way you'll truly be accountable to yourself for what you've eaten.
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i keep a desk drawer stocked with healthy and tasty snacks :) almonds, granola bars, teas i like (try sugar cookie sleigh ride, Celestial Seasons...amazing!) proteien shakes, fresh fruit, etc. this way i can eat something and not feel like i am depriving myself. also, i do indulge occasionally with the crew on pizza or a bagel, but ONLY occasionally, and i log it to make sure i keep myself in check the rest of the day. keeping snacks in my desk is also helpful in reminding me to eat every 3 hours, which can be a hard habit to get going :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Not impossible. You have to remember, everything is a choice. Buy yourself healthful treats and bring them to work. That way, if you're tempted by a donut, you'll have something equally yummy but better for you on hand. Each person has to decide what kind of treats work for them. I make my daughter homemade granola bars.

For me, I just look at each food and determine if it's really worth the calories to me. Sometimes it is, but most times it isn't. Don't just look at the donut. Think about the lard and sugar - not as appetizing if you break down the ingredients. Think about the effort to climb stairs. Then, go drink a glass of water. Lots of times, we think we're hungry because we're thirsty.

Bottom line is, you can do this. Make the decision to do it and you can.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Not impossible. You have to remember, everything is a choice. Buy yourself healthful treats and bring them to work. That way, if you're tempted by a donut, you'll have something equally yummy but better for you on hand. Each person has to decide what kind of treats work for them. I make my daughter homemade granola bars.

For me, I just look at each food and determine if it's really worth the calories to me. Sometimes it is, but most times it isn't. Don't just look at the donut. Think about the lard and sugar - not as appetizing if you break down the ingredients. Think about the effort to climb stairs. Then, go drink a glass of water. Lots of times, we think we're hungry because we're thirsty.

Bottom line is, you can do this. Make the decision to do it and you can. Have faith in yourself.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Look up the calories that each 'treat' has. It's MUCH harder to eat a donut when you know it has 200 calories.

What it takes to burn 200 calories??
    53 mins of walking, 22 mins of jogging, 16 mins of swimming, 29 mins of cycling....

ALL because you wanted to eat 1 little donut. How valuable is your time?? Is the donut worth all of that to you?

ps chewing gum may help.
  • ljteems
    Options
    Wow...thank you all for your kind words!! I am now going to look to you all for inspiration and encouragement!!! It is tough around here, but I KNOW I CAN DO IT!! I need to. I am tired of looking at what i have turned into.

I have the app on my phone and am tracking everything. It eally does make a difference when i can SEE the number of calories i am putting into my body. Crazy!! I can't wait to be able to post with a ticker that says i have lost so many pounds :)!!!!

Thank you again and i REALLY do apprreciate it! Feel free to help me keep on track!!!
  • debswebby
    Options
    Look up the calories that each 'treat' has. It's MUCH harder to eat a donut when you know it has 200 calories.

What it takes to burn 200 calories??
    53 mins of walking, 22 mins of jogging, 16 mins of swimming, 29 mins of cycling....

ALL because you wanted to eat 1 little donut. How valuable is your time?? Is the donut worth all of that to you?

That's what stops me as well. I see every treat as minutes at the gym. Most things are really not worth it :smile:
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Have you thought about asking people to stop bringing food in? May not make you very popular, but if they're at all interested in supporting you (and themselves), it's the least they could do.

You could even draft up a flyer showing how much work it takes to get rid of that cookie and post it right above the table they put it on.

Yeah, I know, it makes you look like the bad guy, but if people reject the truth, it's on them.

Good luck with the healthy living! We're all in the same boat.
  • mary34reilly
    mary34reilly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain there. I work at a place too where people bring in the most delicious things and it's so hard not to indulge. My advice....this is definately not impossible!! Take it one day at a time...because one day of willpower is still one day. You know what? If you get a craving...come online and see what's going on on MFP...that's what we're here for!! :)))
  • searsap7
    Options
    I am new mother also and work at a place full of women who loves to eat!! I joined MFP a week ago today and I have already lost 3 pounds!! You just need good support!! :happy: YOU CAN DO IT!!