do you eat back the calories you burn?

Options
2»

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I eat when Im hungry.....whether or not I eat none of them back or some or all! My belly tells me if I should eat them back!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Lots of information on that topic can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390145-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I eat when Im hungry.....whether or not I eat none of them back or some or all! My belly tells me if I should eat them back!

Your belly looks like it knows what it's doing. :-D I hope my hungry belly can get that flat.
  • traceizbiz
    Options
    I was confused about that when I started as well. Read the links for Newbies in this topic at the top, has lots of good info.

If you want to be healthy and loose weight in a sustainable way you would be best to eat some of your exercise calories back.

But you will find everyone has a different opinion. Personally I would never try and survive on 1200 calories a day, but again that is my opinion and I have noticed lots of people on here eat even less than 1200 a day, each to their own. :happy:

Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • haley_b_87
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry and I don't if I'm not :)
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Nope.... I stay witin my normal set limits. I worked out today and earned xtra 363 calories.... I don't give my body a chance to get hungry; I eat every few hour. My next meal will be my snack which will be Wheat thins and hummus with low fat swiss cheese. I think eating every few hours curve the hunger. I also try to eat thing with high fiber to make me full. Example before working out my 1st snack was a Dole mixed fruit shake with flaxseed powder in it. It kept me full during my workout; I then had my lunch.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have the struggle with this right now myself. I added exercise to my dieting and bam stopped losing so have begun eating back some of my exercise calories. If my loss doesn't go to close to where it should be soon I will eat more of them back. If that doesn't work then will drop back down to eating back hardly any if any. I'm determined to lose this weight healthy and keep it off so I am experimenting to see what will work best for me :)
    It's a personal journey as we are all individual. Experiment 2-3 weeks at a time to see what is working and what isn't. Were it me I'd start wih eating back half and see how that loss works for you.
    Make sure to always drink plenty of water and measure as well. Don't just depend on the scale alone :)
    Best luck and feel free to friend me
    Kimmy
  • KelleyElisa
    KelleyElisa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    no i'm not breastfeeding anymore
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    no i'm not breastfeeding anymore

Okay well that keeps things simpler for you. :-)
  • adiesilver
    adiesilver Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    this has probably been asked a million times but i'm new to MFP. i am trying to lose 20 pounds by staying under my 1,200 calorie a day goal. when i workout (cardio and a little strenght training) should i eat back the calories i burn? thanks!

Considering you really shouldn't be eating fewer than 1200 per day (per MFP's, and others, recommendation), yes. I'd eat you exercise calories. I'd also eat all 1200 allotted regular calories.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    this has probably been asked a million times but i'm new to MFP. i am trying to lose 20 pounds by staying under my 1,200 calorie a day goal. when i workout (cardio and a little strenght training) should i eat back the calories i burn? thanks!

Yes, you should, but it can be hard to do depending on how much you burn. I fully admit to not always eating them back because I feel like I am force-feeding myself sometimes, and I want to eat what I call "quality calories." If I burn 200 working out, I'm not going to eat back 200 calories in potato chips, you know?

Also keep in mind that the general sentiment is that MFP burn estimates run a bit high. A lot of people suggest getting a good heart rate monitor and using that. I am buying one anyhow for spinning, and so once I get it, I will be using it for all my workouts.

But just FYI, this topic is very controversial here on MFP. It's like asking whether you should vote Democrat or Republican.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Yes, you should, but it can be hard to do depending on how much you burn. I fully admit to not always eating them back because I feel like I am force-feeding myself sometimes, and I want to eat what I call "quality calories." If I burn 200 working out, I'm not going to eat back 200 calories in potato chips, you know?

Also keep in mind that the general sentiment is that MFP burn estimates run a bit high. A lot of people suggest getting a good heart rate monitor and using that. I am buying one anyhow for spinning, and so once I get it, I will be using it for all my workouts.

But just FYI, this topic is very controversial here on MFP. It's like asking whether you should vote Democrat or Republican.

HRMs are definitely a helpful tool if you plan to eat all or most of your exercise calories. It's amazing how different your 'actual' (re: more accurate) burn is from MFP estimates. If I didn't have an HRM and had to go by MFP calorie burn estimates, I'd be much more skeptical about eating all the calories it said I burned.
  • pinkpumpedupkickz
    pinkpumpedupkickz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    yes and this is why:

Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

YES! Best explanation I've heard so far.
  • adiesilver
    adiesilver Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I've noticed that about the tracker! MFP's estimate seems to be at least 200 cals high for each workout I've entered thus far. I have an HRM but I can't find the chest strap. Must get on that. Glad I'm not the only one who has this issue!
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    SOME.

But not all, if you're looking to speed up your weight loss. I probably burn about 300 calories on the days that I do my cardio workouts, but then only eat back about 100-200 of those calories.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    it depends....

simple answer no?

first off - 1200 calories should be a MINIMUM of what you should eat every day....do not eat less....your body needs these calories to subsist

As far as eating back your exercise calories it really depends on what your diet is - i.e. whole and clean vs. lots of processed food - and your body type - are you more muscular or more fat to burn. Someone who has more fat to burn then you don't want to eat back a lot of your exercise calories whereas someone who is more muscular would want to eat back a lot of thier exercise calories.

I had the opportunity to meet Bob Harper about a year ago and I asked him this specific question and his response was if you are eating a good healthy diet and mantaining a good daily calorie basis then you don't need to eat back your exercise calories if your goal is fat burning and weight loss.

Now that being said - if you have a large amount of fat to burn in the beginning then you probably don't want to eat back your exercise calories because the goal is calorie deficit which leads to weight loss - but as you begin loosing weight and burning off fat and using your muscles more and more you may find it is adventagous to eat back some of your exercise calories....

BUT you have to listen and know your body - you also have to figure out what your actual calorie burn is when exercising - I have a HRM and found time and time again when exercising I burn about 10 calories/minute when I am in the moment...so 50 minutes on an ellipitical I burn about 450 caloriesbut when I plug in 50 minutes on the ellipitcal in MFP it tells me I burned almost 600 calories...