Grocery Store Sushi?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Our grocery store just started selling sushi. I don't know how to feel about this. So far, it just feels... awkward.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've eyed the sushi at our supposedly higher end grocery here...it just...I don't know, it's not happening
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The Safeway near my work has a sushi chef. It is actually decent sushi if you need a quick fix.
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like california rolls. You really can't screw them up.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've had it from a few places, it's not that bad. Make sure it's pretty fresh, of course.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    My local Sunflower Market prepares it on-site, and it's tasty.

I tolerate the "natural foods" and patchouli smell in there, just to get the sushi.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Depends on the store. I've tried, and it settles my sushi craving until I can get the real thing. And they have a calories on there so that's helpful. Wegman's has seaweed salad and its truthfully not that bad!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I've had it once or twice and i'm hear to tell the tale. But I do have a pretty strong constitution.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The Safeway near my work has a sushi chef. It is actually decent sushi if you need a quick fix.

This. As long as the sushi chef is on the premises, it's okay.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    we have a couple of stores that sell it, but it is almost as much as the restaurant
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've had it from a few places, it's not that bad. Make sure it's pretty fresh, of course.

Kress on 3rd ave has decent sushi
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yup.. The store that has a sushi chef makes some reasonable sushi here.
  • ressa8
    ressa8 Posts: 60
    Options
    Our Superstore sells sushi, they have people making it fresh! It's pretty good!!
  • Ad_874
    Ad_874 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had Publix sushi and it did the job.
  • ressa8
    ressa8 Posts: 60
    Options
    oops! I meant making it fresh!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I buy a package now and then and am always disappointed. It's over priced and just not as tasty as going to a sushi bar or making it yourself.

I will still do it though, when I'm feeling lazy or out shopping and don't want to cook that night, but it's always dissatisfying afterwards.

Life's too short to eat grocery store sushi.

Added: I like the stuff they don't have in grocery stores anyways. Uni, Amaebi, Toro. They mostly have rolls.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have gotten it before. Not horrible, but nothing beats the real deal sushi house.

Man....What's with all the sushi posts today. I'm jonesin!
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    I just can't do it.....Ever since I saw an episode of Gene Simmons Family Jewels where Shannon and her sister barfed all night from it...eeewwww LMAO
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Our local Safeway makes it fresh and it's decent. But I'd rather order a roll in advance from a Sushi restaurant instead.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Man....I'm dying for sushi now. Hate to go alone though. Anyone can get to Portland by 4pm, let me know. I'm buying.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've done it when I had a craving for a roll but didn't want to go to the restaurant alone. I actually watched the sushi chef (of Asian persuasion) make it yesterday at the local Reasor's, bought some and it was quite good.