compacted knee cartilage

Options
Hi People, 5 months ago i fell over ice skating and 'compacted my knee cartilage'. I found after that jogging caused a lot of pain to come to me at night. Phyiso helped but only a bit and it cost a lot. I am frustrated because i cant jog or do heavy squats. Any advice or info you could share with me about healing, or alternative ways to exercise.

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you can exercycle. That makes the muscles that hold the knee cap in place stronger. And walk, using walking sticks. Those enable you to put the weight on your arms, relieving what your legs have to carry. Do those, and you will get stronger.

Swimming is also a good alternative, as is aqua fitness--though you may need to avoid some of the exercises so as not to stress your knees.

Take things slowly at first. Give yourself several months to heal before really going at it.
  • WalkWell
    Options
    Thank you- I will take up the cycling more- and get a hiking stick. I'm not really into swimming (funny kinda aussie I know), so i'll save that as a last resort.
  • aninamika
    Options
    If you can exercycle. That makes the muscles that hold the knee cap in place stronger. And walk, using walking sticks. Those enable you to put the weight on your arms, relieving what your legs have to carry. Do those, and you will get stronger.

Swimming is also a good alternative, as is aqua fitness--though you may need to avoid some of the exercises so as not to stress your knees.

Take things slowly at first. Give yourself several months to heal before really going at it.

DITTO!
  • grassette
    Options
    Thank you- I will take up the cycling more- and get a hiking stick. I'm not really into swimming (funny kinda aussie I know), so i'll save that as a last resort.

You need two walking poles---they look like cross country ski poles.

See this link for examples http://www.keenfit.com/about-poles/how-to.asp
  • WalkWell
    Options
    ok- kinda feels a bit dorkish- but better to be a dork with a good knee than a dude with a dud knee i guess.
  • grassette
    Options
    ok- kinda feels a bit dorkish- but better to be a dork with a good knee than a dude with a dud knee i guess.

It's all about attitude. Be a confident dork, and soon you will have a following.