The art of eating 4-6 times a day.

Options
skywa
skywa Posts: 901 Member
They say its best to eat little meals all through out the day. But i personally struggle with it at times. Mainly at night. Because i get hungry in such a short period of time, by the time im in bed im starving again, and its hard for me to sleep.

Tips? Tricks? Do you think this system even works?

Replies

• skywa
    Options
    bump
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are hungry and not just thirsty? Sometimes we confuse thirst with hunger. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and try to get more fiber in during the day as well. Hope that helps!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It works for some in the sense that it controls their hunger levels. If you feel better off with 3 meals a day (or 2 or 1 or 3.14159), then do that instead. Hitting your nutritional targets is far more important than meal timing and frequency.
  • levesunt
    Options
    It doesn't matter how often you eat. As long as you eat enough, but not too much, you'll be fine with three bigger meals. I recently switched from 6 small meals to three larger meals and I'm much more satisfied throughout the day. Plus it saves a ton of time.
  • skywa
    Options
    i drink the loads of water.
  • skywa
    Options
    i do notice my snacking is keeping my calories really low, which could be why im getting hungry so fast. 9-9 somthing to think about. thx. C:
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Water! and lots of it! Be prepared to pee alot but its good for you!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    It doesn't matter how often you eat. As long as you eat enough, but not too much, you'll be fine with three bigger meals. I recently switched from 6 small meals to three larger meals and I'm much more satisfied throughout the day. Plus it saves a ton of time.

exactly! no reason to eat 6 times a day besides personal preference. It does not boost your metabolism as some think
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    I have a HUGE problem with eating later at night, which is really bad. Typically, its best not to eat after 7pm. Maybe even 6pm. And small meals are much better for you. They will help you get used to smaller portion meals and after your body adjusts, you won't be feeling hungry. Find some tricks in the meantime, but your body will get used to it and your stomach will need much less food to feel full.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I know how to eat. But I do it because it works for me. I don't think it's any better or worse than any other way of eating, as long as you're within your caloric limits and getting enough protein/vitamins/fat.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I do this because I am hypoglycemic. I eat about 200-250 calories for breakfast, then mid-morning have a snack that's about 100-150 calories. Lunch is around 400 calories, then another snack (usually a protein shake after working out). I eat dinner, then have a small snack before bed (usually a 100 calorie bag of popcorn).

You don't have to eat this way. For me, it keeps me from getting a blood sugar crash (headache, cold chills, shakes...not fun). I also find that most of the time I'm not really hungry (sometimes I have to make myself eat my snack). You may be different, though. You should find what works for you. If eating 5-6 times a day makes you more likely to binge, then don't do it. Everyone is different, and 3 larger meals a day may work for you. I tend to be a "grazer", so the snacks help me not to graze so much. Some people don't eat that way, though, so it's okay if you don't.

Good luck! Keep experimenting and you'll find what works best for you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Do you think this system even works?

It is irrelevant for body composition. You can eat 1 large meal and it won't effect your metabolism either way.

You should structure meal timing and frequency around personal preference. If you want to eat a large dinner right before bed and nothing before it, go for it.
  • kwamsat
    kwamsat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am having that same problem myself, but what I have started doing is drinking hot decaf tea at night. There are amazing flavors out there! Some of my favorites are peppermint, orange, decaf green, and gingerbread....just might trick you into feeling satisfied ; )
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I have a HUGE problem with eating later at night, which is really bad. Typically, its best not to eat after 7pm. Maybe even 6pm. And small meals are much better for you. They will help you get used to smaller portion meals and after your body adjusts, you won't be feeling hungry. Find some tricks in the meantime, but your body will get used to it and your stomach will need much less food to feel full.

Eating later at night is NOT bad. It's only bad if you have already eaten your calories throughout the day and then eat more at night. As long as you create your calorie deficit, it doesn't matter if you have all your calories in one big meal right before bed.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I tried this and it made me more hungry.

It doesn't matter when you eat or how frequently, just hit your calories for the day
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    The important difference between 6 small meals and 3 large meals is this: when you eat larger meals, your stomach gets used to that large portion of food and therefore needs it everytime you eat in order to feel full. If you eat 5 or 6 smaller meals, you stomach will eventually adjust to the smaller portion and therefore need much less food to feel satisfied. Everytime you eat past the point of being full, your stomach stretches and expects larger and larger portions.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It works for some in the sense that it controls their hunger levels. If you feel better off with 3 meals a day (or 2 or 1 or 3.14159), then do that instead. Hitting your nutritional targets is far more important than meal timing and frequency.
    Are you suggesting that I eat pie 4-6 times a day?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Are you suggesting that I eat pie 4-6 times a day?

You've cracked the code.

But you're going to have to share the pie.
  • Ash7Reb
    Options
    Actually, by incorporating smaller meals, especially rich in fiber and protein, you bootst your metabolism quite a bit. It becomes more efficient at burning calories and storing nutrients. I would say if you're feeling hungry shortly after these meals, they may be too small. Also, like I said before, protein and fiber are key to a satisfied tummy. Try eating a some baby carrots and a serving of cottage cheese for one of your meals. Another meal idea, piece of baked chicken (preferably the size of a deck of cards) and a serving of broccoli. Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Much love~
  • RaceTo48Kg
    RaceTo48Kg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are hungry and not just thirsty? Sometimes we confuse thirst with hunger. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and try to get more fiber in during the day as well. Hope that helps!

I agree with this. When I feel hungry at night, I drink a glass of water first. Usually that's the case. I only get hungry at night If I don't had breakfast that day. I suggest you eat a big breakfast in the morning to avoid craving at night :smile: