Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
I think this is a great treat for the kids and yourself.

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup jam, jelly or preserves (pick your favorite flavor)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.

2. Place milk, eggs, sugar, Jif and salt in a blender or food processor; blend to combine. Pour over dry ingredients; stir just to moisten.

3. Line a 12 muffin pan with paper muffin cups. Fill the lined cups 1/3 full. Place about 1 teaspoon of jam, jelly or preserves in each indentation. Fill muffin cups with batter until about 2/3 full.

4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan about 5 minutes.

Makes 12 servings

194 calories, 6g fat, 36mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 7g protein, 36g carbohydrates.

This can be lower in calories and in everything else if you substitute ingredients with healthier ones.

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    I think this is a great treat for the kids and yourself.

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup jam, jelly or preserves (pick your favorite flavor)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.

2. Place milk, eggs, sugar, Jif and salt in a blender or food processor; blend to combine. Pour over dry ingredients; stir just to moisten.

3. Line a 12 muffin pan with paper muffin cups. Fill the lined cups 1/3 full. Place about 1 teaspoon of jam, jelly or preserves in each indentation. Fill muffin cups with batter until about 2/3 full.

4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan about 5 minutes.

Makes 12 servings

194 calories, 6g fat, 36mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 7g protein, 36g carbohydrates.

This can be lower in calories and in everything else if you substitute ingredients with healthier ones.
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! And a good protein boost. :-)
  • sassycass
    sassycass Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to make this (tonight) My kids & I always have muffins on the weekends (this past weekend it was pumpkin) and I'm always on the lookout for a healthy muffin.

thanks!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome Sassy =)
  • sabby
    sabby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    mmm! Ive got them baking RIGHT NOW!! I cut the recipe in half, and tried something different with the peanut butter. I'll let you know how it went but right now its a secret!!
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Options
    omg, that sounds soo good! I wish I was at home right now so I could bake them!
  • sabby
    sabby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tried LAYERING the peanut butter and the jelly (not blending the peanut butter into the batter) and it was good, but the muffin was sort of plain. Don't get me wrong, they were really good. I just finished eating THREE of them!! yikes.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I used Splenda (Sorry Cheryl) and thought that was the reason why they weren't sweet enough for me but hubby and the girls love them. They added a bit more grape jam on top though so maybe that was the reason why they enjoyed them so much.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Joanna,

I'm not a calorie nazi.....and I still have my Splenda....I'm going to continue to use it. I don't even know if it's bad. I just passed along what I read (with the disclaimer that I didn't know if it was bad, couldn't prove it.)

The Xylitol is expensive and does actually have calories and carbs. I don't know if using itin quantities makes that much sense. I am going to try brown sugar - if anyone knows how to keep it from turning into a hard lump.

Cheryl
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I store it in a ziploc bag with a slice of bread (Paula Deens advice) and it stays so soft.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    CM if it is aready a hard lump place it in an over proof dish and place the dish in a baking tin that has about and inch of water in it and place on low heat in the oven. It should soften up in about 15 minutes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Healthier_You & kjllose - -

Thanks for the tips. I can't find my "HintsFromHeloise" book.

I am grocery shopping today, and just added brown sugar to my list!

Again, Gracias!

~CM
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    De nada Cheryl!
  • abbylove08
    Options
    bump