Spanx!~

Options
Just had to get this off of my chest....

When I started my weight loss journey, I started at 250lbs. Depending on where I shopped I could go up to a 18-20 jeans,2x, 20/22 blouses. My XL t-shirts were getting pretty tight. Now at 207 (no where near my goal of 160, but a little closer) I am happy to have gone down to a 16 in jeans and XL t-shirts are pretty loose. But on with my rant- I was talking to a woman at my work the other day about dressing up and going out and such, and she was looking at a halter-top looking shirt in a magazine, that was very form fitting. I asked her how she was going to pull that one off? (As she is larger than I am) She said "Well hon, I'll just pull on some Spanx and look great!" She was astounded that I didn't own any Spanx (for those of you who don't know what Spanx are, its an "under suit" that you can wear that hugs you tight and sucks your fat in) It just seems like such a joke to me, yes I want to look good, but until I lose enough weight to look good in a halter top on my own, you won't catch me in one! Why would I want to go around miserable all night with my fat squeezing me to death to look good in a shirt? I would rather put in the hard work and sweat to lose that fat. I just think Spanx is really sending the wrong message to women. Dont work hard, just put on our product and look great! ~sigh~ How about some motivation to lose it?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there! I was making a dress for a friend and she asked me if she should bring over her spanx for a fitting. I told her no. I wanted the dress to fit her as she is.

Spanx is just a girdle, but instead of laces and boning, it uses spandex.

Let's all stop trying to be something we're not. I love myself, with all my lumps and bumps. I'm trying to lose weight, but even when I'm skinny, I still don't think I'll be flat and smooth.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I just bought a mirdle, which is like spanx for men, I wonder why they don't call them Manx. I bought it to compress my loose skin
  • Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have known even "skinny" women that wear them. It is about shaping the body and smoothing out the lines and bulges.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • inthebetween
    Options
    mostly I just have trouble imagining how much it'd really help...
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I love my Spanx!! I'm not overweight, but I am a very apple-shaped person, and depending on what material a dress is made of, I look very lumpy sometimes.

Spanx just makes me look smooth and tucked in... it's a subtle difference, but very essential for dresses in certain materials, like that clingy jersey-knit stuff!!
  • AdenaJ
    AdenaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with your feelings on Spanx. I am significantly overweight and only got my first pair of Spanx for a bridesmaids dress I wore in a wedding this past September. I have worn them one other time since then. I think that they are useful for certain types of clothing, but I refuse to wear them all the time just so I can feel skinnier under everyday clothes.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    Let's all stop trying to be something we're not. I love myself, with all my lumps and bumps.

So I take it you don't wear a bra? Since you're against smoothing out lumps and bumps? lol
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a person that has gone from a 14/16 jean to a size 4/6, I also have an undergarment to hold the extra skin in place with clingy dresses. (I have to admit that I had to be talked into buying it, though as well as the dress it covers.)
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you go out and wear spanx don't even think about eating or drinking
  • jlewis121186
    Options
    it tends to give you the "barrel effect"...sure, you arent lumpy and bumpy, but you are ROUNDED, not flat tummy or anything, it just smooths what you have, doesnt make anything go away lol. so really, if you arent already somewhat in shape, its going to make you look like a barrel lol
  • killerqueen17
    Options

Oh they're not that bad, it's just elastic... try a corset with boning! now THAT will curb a girl's appetite... hahaha :bigsmile:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Let's all stop trying to be something we're not. I love myself, with all my lumps and bumps.

So I take it you don't wear a bra? Since you're against smoothing out lumps and bumps? lol

I am against women wearing bras too
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I have known even "skinny" women that wear them. It is about shaping the body and smoothing out the lines and bulges.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Actresses often wear Spanx on the red carpet, and Oprah is a huge fan.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

hmm...that could help my diet!!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree - Spanx are simply amazing and not at all uncomfortable. Even once I get to my goal weight, I'm never going to be free of cellulite and when wearing business attire Spanx makes it so much more flattering. I have no problem with women wearing swim suits with cellulite or anything like that, but somehow when wearing close fitting clothing like business slacks or pencil skirts, cellulite is not very flattering. Plus, if you are not a woman who enjoys wearing thong underwear, it smooths out panty lines.
  • kidzerrn
    kidzerrn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They ROCK!!
    I get "Assets" made by the same company (Sara Blakely?) who make SPANX,,but just a bit cheaper ( none of these garments are cheap)Target carries them.
    THey help smooth out some bumps...... I am about 20 ish pounds from goal.....but have been wearing these for a LONG time.... I personally like the ones that have the higher waistline
    If I dont have them on I feel like something is missing!!
    Oh and for the winter they make them in tights.....
    Give them a try!
  • kidzerrn
    kidzerrn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I dont find them uncomfortable at all!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I don't agree, but I have only worn the bottoms, never the ones for dresses or just the tops, so I don't know how constricting those are. I would never wear a suit without Spanx and I don't feel uncomfortable in them at all. But maybe the dress ones are more constricting.
  • mrrad
    mrrad Posts: 46
    Options
    I find them good to smooth out lumps and bumps, don't make you smaller just smoother.
  • sadams977
    sadams977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lmao! I bet you are!!