Running Question

Options
2»

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Sorry if i gave wrong impression of marathon..I will participate in 5kms run ONLY in the marathon competition...thay have 5kms..10kms...22kms and 44kms.....thinking of marathon made me collapse on my chair...lol...

Oh, thank goodness! I was very worried and was trying to figure out a way to politely tell you you were out of your mind! You are going to do great on your 5k. I feel confident that after you finish your race you will want more and will love running!

Good luck!

I thought the same thing...I'm glad you clarified that as I feel much better now lol. I thought you were nuts if you were signing up for a marathon in 3 weeks! My apologies.

5k still can feel like a lot for a beginner...but even if you have to take walking breaks, I think it's totally doable!
  • timinaus
    Options
    I genuinely like running now. I start Couch to 5k 7 weeks ago, and I really like it. I look forward to my runs (especially outside) and have fun tracking my speed and distance. I don't run very fast, but that's OK with me. I hope that by the end of the nine weeks I will love it.

Great app. Love it. Using the 5k to 10k version of it now. I'd recommend it for anyone starting to run.
  • rcb722
    rcb722 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started running earlier this year, ad have now run 2 1/2 marathons and 1 full. I hated every bit of it at the beginning. I ran the half, kept training for the full, ran that, and then I didn't run for a few weeks. It was then that I realized that I was missing it. I was missing the early mornings by myself, not having the demands of family, the quiet, the sunrise...I realized then that I had started to love it. So I signed up for another race, trained really well all alone (for the other races I had my sister close, but she moved) and got that alone time back. I ran the last half in 2:12, which is the fastest I'd ran in my whole life. It was after that race, that I finally felt like a true runner. I had put in the training hours, sacrificed time and sleep, and ran. Hopefully you will grow to love it soon. :)
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to love running, but now I LOVE running. I had a friend talk me in to doing a half marathon in 2009, and I hated her for it every minute...But, after a while, I couldn't get enough!

Wait till AFTER your first race - that was a big turning point for me - you may really like it then!

Same EXACT story here!!!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Sorry if i gave wrong impression of marathon..I will participate in 5kms run ONLY in the marathon competition...thay have 5kms..10kms...22kms and 44kms.....thinking of marathon made me collapse on my chair...lol...

Phew... I was going to say there's no way you'd be ready for a marathon in that short of time if you're running 5K! :noway:

To answer your original question... I used to HATE running... but that was back when I was VERY out of shape, and I was only doing it because I was FORCED to by the military. Now that I'm doing it for me... and I've been doing it for about 2 years off and on I absolutely LOVE it! I prefer running outside at all costs unless it's hot. I hate the heat. I get up early in the summer to do my runs here because it his 100+ in July and August regularly. Right now is perfect. I've yet to find a temperature too cold for me to run in. I'm sure once it hits about 10 or 20 degrees that will be dreadmill time. When it was 110 in Iraq I was spending anywhere from 60-80 minutes on the treadmill. YIKES! It sounds so tedious now since I've been running outside consistently since March. :happy:
  • yvonnecooper
    yvonnecooper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sp1nG... the first mile sucks. After that, I love it. I, too, hate the heat and treadmills. I love running in the winter. There is something so peaceful about running while it is snowing (nice gentle snow, not a blizzard).
    I just bought myself some warm running clothes and look forward to giving the cold run a try. I use to do that back in high school, but at the age of 52 all things are different! haha I am an interval runner/walker so am building my running program very slowly. I think it is time I bunp it up. Perhaps I need a "running program" to get me moving more.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the day and the method. I've learned I really don't like the treadmill, but it will be a necessity soon when the ground is covered with snow. I do much better outside, especially when I take the puppy. Sunday I was hating it as I felt like crap. Today I loved it and went further than planned. I think it was because it was 50 out and I wanted to soak up the nice weather before it's gone. If you would have told me 3 months ago I'd be running I would have laughed my *kitten* off. Now I'm running several times a week and can go over 4 miles. I run my first 5k on Thanksgiving and am EXCITED about it. I make myself do it on the days I don't want to even though I hate it because I LOVE what it's doing for me physically. KWIM?! I hope you find some liking in it soon.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sp1nG... the first mile sucks. After that, I love it. I, too, hate the heat and treadmills. I love running in the winter. There is something so peaceful about running while it is snowing (nice gentle snow, not a blizzard).
    I just bought myself some warm running clothes and look forward to giving the cold run a try. I use to do that back in high school, but at the age of 52 all things are different! haha I am an interval runner/walker so am building my running program very slowly. I think it is time I bunp it up. Perhaps I need a "running program" to get me moving more.

I've been doing the walk/run intervals slowly working my way up to running more than walking.
    I have gotten to love running outside & hating the treadmill!! I am thinking about joining a running group in our town
    that trains during the winter months (snow/ice....yikes) for a 5k in the Spring. The only thing I hesitate about is I don't
    paticularly like the cold & I am afraid of falling. I am going to be investing in some coldgear running clothes...hoping this will help. I am going to give it a try though......there's something about running that I love....possibly just being out there enjoying the view & knowing that yes, I did it!!

Hopefully you will begin to enjoy it as well......good luck!!!