Ice Bath?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
My muscles, specifically quads, have been really sore these past few days, and my knees and back also hurt some as well. Are the rumors true...do ice baths work? I'm watching "I Used To Be Fat" on MTV right now, and the girl's trainer had her do an ice bath since she was really sore.

So, have any of you ever done it? Does it actually work? I'm debating it after my run tomorrow, because I've done stretching and heating wraps and everything and am still really sore!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    This was suggested to me before... but I haven't tried it. I'm considering doing it after my long run this weekend but I'm a little afraid of the ice lol.
  • pmcarlino
    Options
    My daughter runs a lot for her cross country team and they use ice baths every day after a tough practice to prevent pain and injuries to the muscles. I hope they work for u!

Buy the way-way to drop the weight!!
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That sounds like punishments to me. Have you thought of maybe epsom salts??? I think Ice would just make me hurt more, from tensing my muscles in the cold. I love the epsom salts. The more the better!!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    ice baths do work, they help prevent inflamation. My husband played football and they used them alot. I personally use ice packs a lot.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Ice baths are very uncomfortable maybe even painful depending on the person. Hot baths are way better. take a long hot bath. the longer your in the better you will feel. Do it daily till you feel better

check this link out

http://www.intense-workout.com/muscle_soreness.html
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Football players and MMA fighters wear by it for rapid recovery. Never tried it personally.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My (then) girlfriend had me draw her a lovely ice bath after her first Marathon. It went something like this.

"OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!!" *SHRIEK!!!!

*splash splash splash*

"hoooh...wow...ok.....I can do this.....hooh....hoooh....hoooooooooh....one more try"

*splash*

"SWEET BABY JESUS GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

(the "hooh"s are deep breaths)
  • Kelhulsey72
    Options
    I am training for a marathon and one of my running partners suggested taking ice baths after long runs. At 1st I thought this was crazy, but thought I would give it a try!
    Come to find out the gym I have been a member of for13 yrs has an ice bath? I NEVER knew HA! After a 20 mile run I decided to give it a try. There was a couple other members using the bath when I got there. I always see these boys around the gym so I asked them their thoughts about the ice bath. They swore by it and even suggested rotating ice bath and sauna. They said, the sauna will open the pours and the ice bath closes them and this method helps muscle recovery.
    To test their theory, I was assisting one of the ortho surgeons and asked him what his thoughts were. I didn't mention what the boys said about the sauna/ice bath and the doctor suggested the same thing. Okay! Maybe there is some truth to this?
    I have tired it a few times after my really long runs. I seemed to help. I ran 18 miles through some rolling hills this past weekend and didn't do the ice bath...I'M SORE and I haven't been this sore in weeks. Yep, I think they might work? :wink:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I am training for a marathon and one of my running partners suggested taking ice baths after long runs. At 1st I thought this was crazy, but thought I would give it a try!
    Come to find out the gym I have been a member of for13 yrs has an ice bath? I NEVER knew HA! After a 20 mile run I decided to give it a try. There was a couple other members using the bath when I got there. I always see these boys around the gym so I asked them their thoughts about the ice bath. They swore by it and even suggested rotating ice bath and sauna. They said, the sauna will open the pours and the ice bath closes them and this method helps muscle recovery.
    To test their theory, I was assisting one of the ortho surgeons and asked him what his thoughts were. I didn't mention what the boys said about the sauna/ice bath and the doctor suggested the same thing. Okay! Maybe there is some truth to this?
    I have tired it a few times after my really long runs. I seemed to help. I ran 18 miles through some rolling hills this past weekend and didn't do the ice bath...I'M SORE and I haven't been this sore in weeks. Yep, I think they might work? :wink:

How long do you stay in the ice bath?
  • Kelhulsey72
    Options
    My (then) girlfriend had me draw her a lovely ice bath after her first Marathon. It went something like this.

"OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!!" *SHRIEK!!!!

*splash splash splash*

"hoooh...wow...ok.....I can do this.....hooh....hoooh....hoooooooooh....one more try"

*splash*

"SWEET BABY JESUS GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

(the "hooh"s are deep breaths)

LOL LOL!!!! :laugh:
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ice baths are very uncomfortable maybe even painful depending on the person. Hot baths are way better. take a long hot bath. the longer your in the better you will feel. Do it daily till you feel better

check this link out

http://www.intense-workout.com/muscle_soreness.html

thanks for sharing the link, very interesting!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Double-post. See below.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm going to refer to a book I recently checked out from my library: Running Doc's Guide to Healthy Running: How to Fix Injuries, Stay Active, and Run Pain-Free", http://www.amazon.com/Running-Docs-Guide-Healthy-Pain-Free/dp/1934030686.

The author, who is the medical director for the Rock and Roll race series, recommends ice exclusively for the first 24 hours after a hard workout, because heat in that time can increase swelling and fluid retention in damaged tissue. After 24 hours, he states that either ice or heat will aid in recovery, but that icing is preferable because the beneficial effects last longer.

So, yes. Ice bath. Truthfully, I've never gone in the bathtub for one, but I have spent plenty of time sitting with an ice bag strapped to my ankle, knee, quads, or whatever.
  • Kelhulsey72
    Options

How long do you stay in the ice bath?

No longer than 10 minutes. I have heard and read that staying in the bath longer could lead to hypothermia or frostbite.