alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    This is not true. The only way you're going to stop burning calories is when you die.

Having said that, since alcohol is toxic, your body will work to metabolize that and eliminate it from the body before it metabolizes anything else. So it's generally recommended to eat before you party. But burning calories, no. As long as you are still breathing and moving you will be burning calories.

Eating before you party is also a basic rule of partying...drinking (at a party level) on an empty stomach (or one filled with something wimpy like a salad) will more than likely end up with a broken you the next morning. :laugh:
  • abarker2424
    Options
    I would definitely not bank on your drink being 56 calories, unless you are the one pouring it and you've checked the nutrition label of what you're pouring.

1 oz of vodka has between 80 and 90 calories. Most bartenders either eyeball a pour or use something called a "jigger" which amounts to 1 and 1/2 oz. If you were to order a vodka sprite zero (and the bartender was using a jigger) the calories would be between 100 to 120.

Trust me, if my vodka on the rocks was only 56 calories, I'd be ordering a double:)
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yup ...vodka w/diet cranberry juice is now my drink of choice.

It used to be red wine ... but am trying to cut way back on the alcohol.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Darn! More calories in the vodka than everyone thought!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Is it just me ...or does anyone else think 56 calories is not a lot.?? I drink cherry vodka with diet coke or coke zero...
    It's not much, but it adds up!
  • Leiose
    Leiose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well maybe not stop completely, but...

"When you drink alcohol, it’s broken down into acetate (basically vinegar), which the body will burn before any other calorie you’ve consumed or stored, including fat or even sugar."

http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Health-Fitness/Alcohol-and-Calories-Does-Drinking-Cause-Weight-Gain
  • selenar1990
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have heard of it but Voli Vodka is really low cal...one of the lowest I have ever tried. They also have a variety of different pretty out there flavors that you can try....voli vodka lyte is only 48 calories

here is a list of the calorie counts for flavors
    http://www.volispirits.com/nutritional-info.html
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You might want to try this: in tall glass, filled with ice cubes: 1 oz white or rosé wine, diet 7-Up, juice of half a lime (or more, is you wish). Stir and sip with a straw. I personnaly love it.
  • gettingskinnysoon
    Options
    Damn, this is all good advice! I love my alcohol, and usually never count the calories, ever. So these suggestions are great :D
  • gettingskinnysoon
    Options
    You might want to try this: in tall glass, filled with ice cubes: 1 oz white or rosé wine, diet 7-Up, juice of half a lime (or more, is you wish). Stir and sip with a straw. I personnaly love it.

Ahh, this sounds delicious! I love rosé wine with sprite zero, so adding some lime to it would make it heavenly.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy..... 96 calories in 12oz of a can of Miller Lite.... same size every time, no worrying if your bartender has a heavy hand. :D
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

That is similar to one of my favorite summertime drinks! Only I use white zinfandel and a lemon. It is delicious!!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has 7 calories per gram. If you've found a lower-cal distilled spirit, that just means it's lower proof and you're just paying for extra water. (Assuming it's not something with sweetener added back - like schnapps or amaretto or something).

The "stops burning everything else" thing is a misunderstanding. It's true in a sense, but a Calorie is still a Calorie. If you add 60 Calories of alcohol, it will get burned first (once it's absorbed) but it has no net difference in the day than if you'd added 60 Calories of chocolate.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Alchohol IS calories. That's what gives you a buzz. If you want a calorie-free buzz, you are going to have to switch to drugs.