Kick the soda addiction?

Options
13»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I used to drink three a day. I wish I could say I instantly dropped weight when I stopped them but I didn't. Find something to drink that you like, like tea. I loveee black tea. So I drink it now instead with lemon.
  • bikerman79
    Options
    All drink orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice but mostly water for me.
  • ChantalO89
    ChantalO89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to drink pop all the time..especially at work . But I stopped by first drinking diet with my alchoholic bevarages! Now I do not drink all the time but it was a little 'bump' that got me used to the taste. And now I drink water with lemon slices, maybe one diet a day and I also find that V8 fruit juices are great also!!! Now if I drank Mt. Dew, I get the worse acid reflux ever an that totally turns me off. Just make baby steps if you drank them all the time because everyone's body reacts different.
  • jhagemann
    Options
    I started buying the 90 calorie 7.5 oz cans and trying to drink those instead of a 12 oz can!
  • sara_e_wallace
    Options
    So Yesterday I drank Pepsi MAX and it was not too bad - Not the REAL Pepsi - but tolerable..
  • Sstrable
    Options
    Honestly I had to do it cold turkey! I havent had any soda in about 6 years! You can do it if you really want to. I try to drink 8-10 bottles of water a day! It helps.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've tried several times, including a few months ago... I think this one will stick. :) Here's what worked for me:

1) Cold turkey, no more soda. Don't dwell on it, just don't ever drink another one (I personally can't moderate soda)

2) Go absolutely out of your way to have truly exciting alternatives. Forget counting calories for a while, don't worry about the financial cost, and stick to one goal at a time (quitting soda - you can go back to other goals, like only water or saving money, after you've dedicated yourself to breaking a difficult addiction). Stock the fridge with exciting, non carbonated, healthy (but still exciting) drinks. I liked coconut water with floaty coconut thingys in it, Naked smoothies, lemonade, Sobe, Arizona tea.

3) Go absolutely out of your way to have those alternatives at home, when you go out with friends, at work, everywhere. When friends order soda, always order lemonade, tea, a smoothie - something exciting.

4) Make yourself accountable, somehow. What worked for me was finding a few people on Twitter who wanted to quit soda, too. (you've got MFP here, thank goodness!). Then I felt like I needed to not drink soda to hold up my end of a team effort.

After just two months of no soda, I don't have to try so hard to not crave it... the craving goes away. I drink water more naturally now instead of having to have lemonade, tea, sobe, etc. But I won't let myself have even a single soda, or I'll start craving it again. Isolating truly only one thing at a time works pretty well. :D

Good luck!! You can do it!!! :D
  • misstonico
    Options
    I went the cold turkey route because I am absolute rubbish at moderating my intake. I found that setting up a countup widget on my computer helps me to stay away. I'm very competitive with myself and I like seeing the bigger numbers. I slipped once and made myself reset it and that bummed me out. Now I'm at 78 days without Diet Coke and I seldom even crave it anymore.

I also make sure to have a bottle of water with me at all times. My husband laughs because I carry one around the house with me, but it helps with cravings and I drink more water. Good luck on your journey to becoming soda free!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    IDK why, but it makes me sad to hear people are quiting soda. Love the stuff.

ANYWAY, good luck with quiting it. Going cold turkey can be pretty hard because of the headaches, because the lack of caffine. Really, you need to slow yourself down from maybe 2 a day, to 1, to one every other, one only on weekends, then never
  • jhagemann
    Options
    I tried the Dr. Pepper 10 yesterday-- definitely did not do it for me, but it was not bad -- I could see people moving to that very easily coming from Coke/Pepsi. All of you got me thinking, I do like the Minute Maid Light Lemonade -- I think I am going to swap out 1 Coke a day for that and see how it goes. Thanks everyone!
  • drivers99
    drivers99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First, if you have 90 minutes to spare, go watch "Sugar: the Bitter Truth" on Youtube. If you're like me, you'll never want to drink soda again. I immediately switched from regular to diet sodas. I lost 40 pounds just doing that (i.e. avoiding sugar in general, which for me is all the soda I was drinking). I wasn't trying to lose weight but I noticed it was magically going down steadily. Win!

I noticed you get used to diet soda really fast. I had to ask people a lot of times if this was really diet or not and when they tasted it they were like "eww! It's diet."

Later on, my eye was twitching and I knew it was the caffeine. I also had problems sleeping whenever I had caffeine after noon. I also lost a lot of energy whenever the caffeine wore off. Since I didn't stock soda or coffee at home, I was going out to eat all the time just to get a caffeine fix. So I decided to switch to just water. I have one of those water coolers that you can put 5 gallon jugs on. It costs me only $1 to refill them and it's filtered and nice and cold.

I quit the caffeine cold turkey. I only started to get a little bit of a headache the first two days. I only took one excedrin (contains 65 mg caffeine) in order to taper down the first day.

You can also get used to water really fast.