Visalus: Body by Vi Shakes

Options
Has anyone heard of these shakes, Body by Vi, Visalus? Apparently they are supported by the American Heart Association, and can be for weight loss of muscle gain. They look like protein shakes to me, and if you replace one meal a day with one you are supposed to lose weight. A lot of my friends have started drinking them, and really like them. But its a monthly cost of 40 something dollars... thats the only thing holding me back.

Anyone drinking these or have any advice on them?

Replies

• marissa4354
    Options
    Has anyone heard of these shakes, Body by Vi, Visalus? Apparently they are supported by the American Heart Association, and can be for weight loss of muscle gain. They look like protein shakes to me, and if you replace one meal a day with one you are supposed to lose weight. A lot of my friends have started drinking them, and really like them. But its a monthly cost of 40 something dollars... thats the only thing holding me back.

I drink two a day. They are really good! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Would you like advice from someone not drinking them?
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the Vi shakes, b/c they contain sucralose. As a clean eater I really try to steer clear of fake sugars such as aspartame/sucralose/splenda. They're just not good for you in any amount! Honestly replacing any meal per day w/ a lower calorie shake is going to make you lose weight if you're eating less at that meal, so I suppose I'd pick something a bit more nutritious. I compare the Vi shakes to Slim Fast and honestly they're protein source (part soy) is less than desirable for someone looking to lose weight/build lean muscle. Whey protein has actually been shown to help people lose weight & maintain that loss, so really a good protein powder (like MRM) sweetened w/ Stevia will get you a lot further, faster. I hope that helps!

Any more Q's, let me know. It's all hype.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started taking them last week to replace my breakfast and they are very good...pricey yes I order them online and with shipping I pay just over $60/month. They are very tasty and I have heard nothing but good things about them, my boot camp instructor told me about it and I trust her judgement so I thought I would give it a try. I have more info on them if you would like me to pass it onto you?
  • kristen_sample
    Options

Any advice is appreciated :)
  • kristen_sample
    Options
    I started taking them last week to replace my breakfast and they are very good...pricey yes I order them online and with shipping I pay just over $60/month. They are very tasty and I have heard nothing but good things about them, my boot camp instructor told me about it and I trust her judgement so I thought I would give it a try. I have more info on them if you would like me to pass it onto you?

Sure!
  • kristen_sample
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the Vi shakes, b/c they contain sucralose. As a clean eater I really try to steer clear of fake sugars such as aspartame/sucralose/splenda. They're just not good for you in any amount! Honestly replacing any meal per day w/ a lower calorie shake is going to make you lose weight if you're eating less at that meal, so I suppose I'd pick something a bit more nutritious. I compare the Vi shakes to Slim Fast and honestly they're protein source (part soy) is less than desirable for someone looking to lose weight/build lean muscle. Whey protein has actually been shown to help people lose weight & maintain that loss, so really a good protein powder (like MRM) sweetened w/ Stevia will get you a lot further, faster. I hope that helps!

Any more Q's, let me know. It's all hype.

Thanks!! This was very helpful. That was my thought exactly... should I just get a real protein shake or go with this option.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

First of all, replacing a meal with a protein supplement will "typically" result in a net decrease in calories. This is why (and this is the only reason) that using a meal replacement can induce weight loss.

This isn't necessary and I would even say that I wouldn't recommend replacing food with liquids simply from a satiety standpoint. You're already (presumably) eating at a deficit, therefore you should be getting as much satiety as possible with your food choices, to make deficit eating more tolerable.

Lastly, protein supplements are fine. I use them as do several other people. I just don't think you should replace food with them and I think you could find a much better option in terms of price.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Visalus isn't a protein shake it is a meal replacement.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    But at only 80 calories how is that a meal replacement? That seems CRAZY low!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Visalus shake mix is 90 calories for 2 scoops. That is also not included whatever else you put in it. I have some shakes that are about 300 calories. Its all what you put in them.
  • Asil76
    Options
    Visalus shake mix is 90 calories for 2 scoops. That is also not included whatever else you put in it. I have some shakes that are about 300 calories. Its all what you put in them.

This ^
  • Asil76
    Options

This ^ eg. I add a cup of skim milk with a half of a banana and a flavor mix in and it is over 200 calories.
  • marissa4354
    Options

This ^ eg. I add a cup of skim milk with a half of a banana and a flavor mix in and it is over 200 calories.

The nutrition I get from a shake is a WAY better choice then if I was to "plan" a meal. I add peanut butter, dark chocolate, sometimes a banana, frozen fruits, etc.

BTW.. I got down to 150.. I know how to lose it with food too. This is an easier option for someone like me who struggles choosing "healthy" over something not healthy with low calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    First of all, replacing a meal with a protein supplement will "typically" result in a net decrease in calories. This is why (and this is the only reason) that using a meal replacement can induce weight loss.

This isn't necessary and I would even say that I wouldn't recommend replacing food with liquids simply from a satiety standpoint. You're already (presumably) eating at a deficit, therefore you should be getting as much satiety as possible with your food choices, to make deficit eating more tolerable.

Lastly, protein supplements are fine. I use them as do several other people. I just don't think you should replace food with them and I think you could find a much better option in terms of price.
    This. When you replace a meal with a "liquid" meal, your calories will normally be much lower than usual. Ask yourself this "will I do this for life?" If not, then you WILL most likely gain the weight back because reinserting whole food in the place of the shake will usually be a calorie increase.
    Learn to eat right and in moderation NOW. Not later when you have to get off the shakes.

Plus with the money, you can get more bang for the buck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrslaw85
    mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually have a scoop of Body by Vi Shake in the morning in my coffee and a protein shake on the way home before I go to bootcamp. I was having issues with dizziness and nausea before I started drinking one before class. Works great! I use it to supplement my diet, not replace it. I am a diabetic and do not experience crashes with this product like I have with others. Ask for samples to try if you are not sure you want to commit. I know two people who sell it and the companies sample sizes are large enough you can try for several days and have a good feel if it is for you or not.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you're going to replace a meal with a shake, you don't need to go for expensive powders. If I were to use my whey protein powder every day for a shake, it would last me a month on only $16. It's simple to just add vegetables and fruits to make it more nutritious.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of these shakes, Body by Vi, Visalus? Apparently they are supported by the American Heart Association, and can be for weight loss of muscle gain.
    I found it highly unlikely that an organization like the American Heart Association would endorse this.

Try Googling "body by vi american heart association". I see pages where they cite info from the organization, but no endorsement. I can't find anything supporting your statement. If one of their reps told you this, you may want to ask for some proof.

If there is no substance behind this statement, I would recommend editing your post and removing that portion, as it would be false and misleading.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options

This/
  • kristen_sample
    Options
    Has anyone heard of these shakes, Body by Vi, Visalus? Apparently they are supported by the American Heart Association, and can be for weight loss of muscle gain.
    I found it highly unlikely that an organization like the American Heart Association would endorse this.

Try Googling "body by vi american heart association". I see pages where they cite info from the organization, but no endorsement. I can't find anything supporting your statement. If one of their reps told you this, you may want to ask for some proof.

If there is no substance behind this statement, I would recommend editing your post and removing that portion, as it would be false and misleading.

I was told by the rep. Dont mean to be misleading, just curious :)