James Krieger on obesity

Options
James Krieger is one of my favorite weightloss bloggers. It doesn't hurt that he's a published researcher himself, sharp as a thumb tack, and a genuinely good person. Plus, he doesn't sling a bunch of BS. He's all about the simple, objective truths. I was happy when he gave me the opportunity to pick his brains about some of his views pertaining to obesity and weight loss. Check it:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/interviews/james-krieger-interview/

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    James Krieger is one of my favorite weightloss bloggers. It doesn't hurt that he's a published researcher himself, sharp as a thumb tack, and a genuinely good person. Plus, he doesn't sling a bunch of BS. He's all about the simple, objective truths. I was happy when he gave me the opportunity to pick his brains about some of his views pertaining to obesity and weight loss. Check it:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/interviews/james-krieger-interview/

^ NICE. Thanks for sharing this Steve. People should really check this out, Steve and James are both great resources, I'm sure this will be a good read.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Good read Steve. Much thanks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Great interview bro.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I wanted to get James to dive deeper into some of these questions, but understandably he's a busy guy. He doesn't have time to break out into a research review in each of the questions I asked. Nonetheless though, it's always nice to hear the simple truths coming from someone who has so much experience and knowledge.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thanks guys. I wanted to get James to dive deeper into some of these questions, but understandably he's a busy guy. He doesn't have time to break out into a research review in each of the questions I asked. Nonetheless though, it's always nice to hear the simple truths coming from someone who has so much experience and knowledge.

Just a quick one Steve and maybe this is an obvious answer: Reduction in NEAT as someone loses weight--- is that just simply because they weigh less and therefore it requires less "work" to perform day to day tasks?
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Great interview, Steve. Thanks for sharing.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Krieger wrote a great series on insulin that should be required reading
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Agreed, and bump.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Just a quick one Steve and maybe this is an obvious answer: Reduction in NEAT as someone loses weight--- is that just simply because they weigh less and therefore it requires less "work" to perform day to day tasks?

Nope.

Here's a blurb from my Nutrition 101 article pertaining to NEAT:

"The starvation response doesn’t stop at BMR. Changes can occur in the endocrine system and brain that stimulate hunger and increase cravings.

Activity expenditure can also take a large hit.

Activity expenditure is comprised of formal exercise and NEAT, which is something I mentioned above. To remind you, NEAT stands for non-exercise activity thermogenesis. It’s simply the energy expended being active outside of formal exercise. Typing, cleaning, gardening, fidgeting, sex, etc… these would all fall under the umbrella of NEAT.

Just as how BMR can fall lower than what would be predicted based on weight lost, the same phenomenon seems to happen with activity expenditure. We know the lighter body is going to cost less energy to maintain and move around. This is normal. However, the part of the starvation response that we’re talking about leads to a drop in activity expenditure that’s larger than would be expected.

It’s a double whammy – your body is expending less energy at complete rest (BMR) and when you’re not resting, you’re unconsciously moving around less.

So much so that this component of the starvation response can actually be greater than the drop in BMR."
  • stroutman81
    Options

You ain't kidding.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    As always, amzing post, thank you for your continued guidance :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    unconsciously moving around less.

^ WOW. Thanks for sharing that. That's not the answer I expected and your answer is far more fascinating (srs).
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options

You ain't kidding.

Do you have a link to this article?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

You ain't kidding.

Do you have a link to this article?

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    good read. bump.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Great interview Steve!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    unconsciously moving around less.

^ WOW. Thanks for sharing that. That's not the answer I expected and your answer is far more fascinating (srs).

Yeah, it's an often overlooked variable. Everyone's always throwing around the garbage term, "starvation mode," without truly grasping what all it entails.

Plus, you have big publications, such as the New York Times, suggesting that exercise doesn't work for fat loss. And I get where they're coming from... in the grand scheme it's very hard to expend enough calories via exercise to offset the number of calories you eat from food.

Put differently, you might spend 5-10 calories per minute of exercise. How many calories do you think you can shovel down your pie hole in a minute while eating?

But there's more to the story. Media always likes to look at things in isolation. If NEAT is dropping in response to long term energy shortages, exercise can very well make up that gap. In turn, a plateau might be avoided and a person might not give up as easily.

Not to mention the myriad of health and physique benefits that are associated with exercise... it's not only about weight... but I digress.

Keeping the adaptations associated with NEAT in mind is also important because you can consciously intervene with the unconscious reduction in movement. Which is why James suggests wearing a pedometer. Little things add up.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.