Time of the month binge?

Options
How do you ladies handle those SUPER STRONG cravings during that time? I have been doing so good until today. I practically ate a whole sleeve of ritz crackers and while shredding cheese for tacos, most went into my mouth instead of the bowl. I know I can't completely deny myself because I will go crazy. Just curious to see how you all handle this!

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You should check out the newest group for discussions about periods. We don't have a topic yet about cravings, you could start one! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/779-periods-period

I really don't get cravings during my period, so I sadly do not have much advice for you. If you can find some way to limit your portions, you could fit your craving into your calorie goal.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    Healthier versions of the target food. Instead of ritz try Wasa Crisp and Light crackers. Three are only sixty calories. You can use Laughing Cow on it for the cheese and it's only 105 calories for them both!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Instead of trying to deny myself I make a deal lol. If i want to eat that 250 cal cheese bun then I need to do at least 30 min of heavy exercise. I don't always make up for the extra calories but I often find that after sweating my butt off for 30 min I don't feel like eating anymore ahahah
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I get the WORST cravings during my TOM. Which has actually lasted for almost 2 months now, no thanks to that stupid shot. I'm going back on the pill ASAP, so I can only justify eating as much as I have been once a month, not every day for two months, lol.

Definitely don't deny yourself, because you will go crazy, just indulge in moderation. Easier said than done, I know!
  • mommy_2a_sweety_pi
    Options
    The cravings you get are from some sort of deficiency your body is suffering from. I learned this during pregnancy - when I craved milk it was because my body was low on calcium or vit D, so on and so forth. Most women crave chocolate during TOM because their bodies are losing magnesium, which is found in chocolate. Try taking some supplements to offset what you're losing during TOM. Drink an extra glass of milk (or take some TUMS) to avoid binging on cheese, etc. I upped my supplements and the cravings ceased. Everyone's different, though, keep that in mind :P
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ...... I basically wound up eating three dinners tonight for the very same reason *sigh*. I lose control. Would love to read some tips.
  • Karen19_91
    Karen19_91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OMG im having the same issue!!. -and im pretty sure i gained 3 lbs since it started. :( this always happens!!. anyway. i substitute stuff. my biggest craving is white chocolate and ice-cream( not together). annny ice cream. so i try to satisfy with sherbert and pretzels..the pretzels dont work that well as a chocolate sub...but as long as i keep munching on those i tend not to search for worse alternatives. -and skinny cow has a ton of low cal chocolate ice cream stuff. good luck! :)
  • prissymissliss
    prissymissliss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually go ahead and allow myself to have some sort of a pre-planned treat. That keeps me from turning evil and keeps the impulse to binge at bay. Deprivation eventually leads to binging. I hope that helps
  • Karen19_91
    Options
    omg are u on depo?! . i gained 70 lbs from that evil thing within a year!!! it stopped my period entirely though-that part was nice. but yea :( i had to stop getting it too -_______-* fail for b.c
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    omg are u on depo?! . i gained 70 lbs from that evil thing within a year!!! it stopped my period entirely though-that part was nice. but yea :( i had to stop getting it too -_______-* fail for b.c

I've lost 64 pounds on depo. Although, it hasn't stopped my periods....just made them LONGER.
  • leahbea22
    leahbea22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel like my TOM is EVERYDAY over chocolate!! I've learned to just ignore it or distract myself so I forget about it and hopefully I get to tired to eat. But chocolate is such a downfall for me but ive learned to just ignore it and maybe have it once or twice a week or if i can find a different less calorie alternative then i'm happy :) Good luck cause I know the struggle
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I am usually food conscious UNTIL TOM shows up. Usually the cravings are for chocolate and salty stuff. It's so predictable. Thankfully, I get lower calorie snacks to help with it. Jell-o mousse (sugar free 60 cal) helps.

And sometimes it doesn't. For those moments when jell-o doesn't help, I choose candy.. but something not AS bad. One of my books suggest eating a Take-Five (I USED to eat a Snickers or a Hershey's symphony bar. The Take-five has a little less sugar..I think). It's been a while since I'd looked through the book, but it also fills that want for salt since it's got a pretzel inside.
  • Veronica1962
    Options
    With mine chocolate is my craving...I handle it by getting my favorite candy bar and cutting it into one inch pieces and freezing it...one piece at a time...harder to eat when frozen...you can do this with many things...it does work !!!
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My chocolate craving is out of control....will power has left me. Me and nutella are best friends. I will do better tomorrow. Trying to stay within my calories still.
  • Karen19_91
    Options

I've lost 64 pounds on depo. Although, it hasn't stopped my periods....just made them LONGER.
    I wish . I wish!!. but yea i had to get pills to stop my period the last time i was on it and i couldn't stop gaining. now im dealing with whats left. fatness!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The cravings you get are from some sort of deficiency your body is suffering from. I learned this during pregnancy - when I craved milk it was because my body was low on calcium or vit D, so on and so forth. Most women crave chocolate during TOM because their bodies are losing magnesium, which is found in chocolate. Try taking some supplements to offset what you're losing during TOM. Drink an extra glass of milk (or take some TUMS) to avoid binging on cheese, etc. I upped my supplements and the cravings ceased. Everyone's different, though, keep that in mind :P

So when I'm craving potato chips and white cake I need????and bread, bread and bread. :wink:
  • ammbbbeeeerrrrr
    Options
    I go through the same thing every month, and i dont even know what to tell you. i just give in.. :P

I tend to want stuff that i deprive myself from, like hamburgers and red meat so i figure a burger or some meatballs wont kill me once a month..
  • BSWC
    BSWC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Healthier versions of the target food. Instead of ritz try Wasa Crisp and Light crackers. Three are only sixty calories. You can use Laughing Cow on it for the cheese and it's only 105 calories for them both!

Hi momof2boysvn,

I agree I work with Wasa and Wasa can be a tasty healthier alternative including Hummus and Cucumber on Wasa. This recipe takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and is also good for you. Check it out!

http://www.wasa-usa.com/recipe-hummus-and-cucumber-on-wasa.aspx