Advice for a soon to be non-smoker?

Options
I've decided to quite smoking on Jan 1st!!! And I'm going to try to replace smoking with running, I'm hoping that it I focus on running, it might make the cravings easier. If all goes well, I will reward myself at the end of Feb by signing up for the Chicago Marathon (something I've always wanted to accomplish but couldn't because of smoking). I've been a smoker for half my life, 15 years, and I'm so scared that I won't be able to do this and will just end up disappointing myself. Are there any ex-smokers that have some advice for me?

Also, if there are any smokers that would like to join me, we can kill this habit together!

Replies

• jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Why don't you quit tomorrow?? Why wait until January 1st??
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    When I gave up (1998) I used mint chewing gum to help. It meant I had something in my mouth, so didn't need to eat to stop the cravings. Also a lot cheaper than nicotine replacement. Good luck with your journey with this.
  • NicheGuy
    Options
    I am doing the same thing. Getting a diet and exercise program set up an going then kicking the smoking Jan. 1st. Add me and we can help each other out.
  • JThomas61
    Options

^^^This!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i just joined the "quitting smoking group. literally just joined, about two minutes ago. i smoke in a lot of social situations, and then i'll go weeks without smoking, and then just pick up a pack and go through it in like, four days. its a crappy habit, and i want to quit. i was thinking about really doing it Jan 1st too, but the last time i had a cigarette was Nov 12th, and i think i'm just going to go from there.

Four days without a cigarette.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options

^^This.

If you really, REALLY, REALLY want to quit, what stops you? Just do it. Stop holding yourself back.
    Make the change in your life that you want!
  • pauleshankles
    Options
    mnishi, jessilyn76 has a good idea, quit now. Start trying to quit now instead of putting all the stress on a January 1 deadline. I smoked for a few years and just threw them in the trash and quit cold turkey which was extremely hard. Put your faith in God to help you and HE will take your habit away, HE did mine. Good luck
  • sharrrina
    sharrrina Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! I'm planning on quitting by January as well! Good luck all!
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you drink at all (even socially), you may want to stop that for a while as well. At least til you get the hang of not smoking. I find that even one drink can trigger cravings.

It takes practice to be a non smoker. I still cave occasionally (about once every 2 weeks) and it creates tons of guilt. But it never triggers a trip to the store for a pack. Small victories, I guess...

All I know is that I want to be a non-smoker and you can't be one of those if you are still smoking.

Best to you. Just remember, that smoking only makes you think you feel better about whatever in life is stressing you. In reality, if you take a few deep, satisfying breathes, you are doing much more to actually improve your physical and mental well being that a puff off a cancer stick ever would :wink:
  • scorpiogirl100
    Options
    First of all..way to go on your decision to quit smoking...your body will thank you..I will be smoke free 7 years this january...it wasn't easy..but it can be done..replacing it with exercise is a great idea...everytime I would get a craving I would chew some gum or brush my teeth, or drink lots of cold water...hope this helps and lots of luck to you :)
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking January 17 of last year, when I turned 40. I had smoked for 26 years!! I was told about a book titled THE EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING by Alan Carr. What a great book! I read it and didnt pick up another smoke since. I really recommend buying it, Found it at Borders for $13.95. Good luck!!
  • debswebby
    Options

Setting a date for when to quit is a lot easier than just doing it for most people. Its like saying goodbye to an old friend and you need to prepare for that. Its emotional when you think of all the times you have a cigarette and what you'll be missing out on.

When you have actually quit for just a few days you will start thinking "what on earth was I doing to myself?"

The biggest tip I can give is not to replace the cigarettes with snacks. So many people say they put on weight when they quit but they don't know why. My nana did that. I reminded her that she was eating a huge bar of chocolate EVERY DAY! Nicotine does not make you thin. Giving it up does not make you fat.
    Oh and don't even give listening space to anyone who tells you that you can't quit and lose weight at the same time because you can. I have quit 3 times now and I never gained weight because of it.
    Good luck. Enjoy your Christmas ciggies and then say goodbye without a backward glance
    xx
  • demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me quit was tallying up all the money I would spend on smokes for a week/month/year. Take that money, put it aside, and use it to spoil youself once you have reached a certain point.

I like to do this anually (It turned out that I smoked 1500$ in a year - and I was buying the cheap ones - EEEP. Now, every year on June 16th, I get myself something silly/ridiculous (250$ haircut, overpriced boots, ect).

When you start, I say do it every two weeks, then a month, then a year. Its a nice reward system, on TOP of the fact that you will feel SO MUCH BETTER.

Congrats and good luck!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Quit 5 minutes ago! That *kitten* is NASTY and is KILLING you. Don't wait, don't use a different crutch in it's place. Be strong and kick that crap to the curb!

Don't make me remind you tomorrow.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking January 17 of last year, when I turned 40. I had smoked for 26 years!! I was told about a book titled THE EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING by Alan Carr. What a great book! I read it and didnt pick up another smoke since. I really recommend buying it, Found it at Borders for $13.95. Good luck!!

^^^This

I've been smoke free for 6 years and I used this book - excellent had to read it twice before it clicked but it worked I too quit smoking after 28 years you can do it!
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody! The reason I've decided on Jan 1st is because of the stress of working, finals in school, and the holidays all at once. I'm also going to try to ween myself off over the next month and a half, I've tried quiting cold turkey and that usually lasts about an hour.
    I know people quit smoking all the time, but this will probably be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, that's just junkie thinking ....." i can smoke as much as i want until....." Just do it. Do it now. I'm coming up on 3 years smoke free and have never felt better in my life. One thing that really helped me after 15+ years of smoking was joining a support group such as "smokin cessation' on about.com You will meet people in all stages of the quit and all the advice is great. Plus everyone has gone through or is going throught the same feelings, cravings etc that you have. Exercise helps a bunch.

You can do this!!!!
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This January will be 2 years smoke free and I had been smoking for about 13 years. My recommendation is when you really truly want to quit just quit. My last cigarette was January 23 of 2010 and I haven't looked back. You're gonna have to just look at everyday as..."well I made it another day, I'm sure I can make it this one too". I know for me the hardest part was driving and after eating. If you have a blue tooth or and earpiece maybe try getting on the phone to distract you from the fact that you don't have a cigarette and after eating just try to immediately occupy your time with something else. Get on MFP, go for a walk, or anything you can think of that would take your mind off of it. Another big one is just quit. I had quit several times before and always let myself smoke at bars or social gathering....then I always started again. Just quit and remember all the money you're gonna save, the health you're gaining back, AND your clothes wont stink! Lol Good luck to you and congratulations!
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Setting a date for when to quit is a lot easier than just doing it for most people. Its like saying goodbye to an old friend and you need to prepare for that. Its emotional when you think of all the times you have a cigarette and what you'll be missing out on.

When you have actually quit for just a few days you will start thinking "what on earth was I doing to myself?"

The biggest tip I can give is not to replace the cigarettes with snacks. So many people say they put on weight when they quit but they don't know why. My nana did that. I reminded her that she was eating a huge bar of chocolate EVERY DAY! Nicotine does not make you thin. Giving it up does not make you fat.
    Oh and don't even give listening space to anyone who tells you that you can't quit and lose weight at the same time because you can. I have quit 3 times now and I never gained weight because of it.
    Good luck. Enjoy your Christmas ciggies and then say goodbye without a backward glance
    xx

Wow! You hit the nail of the head. Someone that's never smoked doesn't understand that cigarettes ARE like a friend, and one that you've had a lot of good times with. You're whole life revolves around smoking, and planning your next cigarette.
  • fae713
    fae713 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't smoked myself, but have helped a lot of people to quit smoking or known people who have quit. Here's what helped them:

Join a support group. I don't know if every state has them, but I know Colorado has a quit line that will send you patches and help you to sign up for a support group and send you daily emails or texts for motivation and to remind you why you're doing it. Even if you don't initially plan on using the patches or gum, at least you have the option if the cravings are worse than you expected.

Running is just one of the things you should do to help out with quitting. Make sure you also have other coping skills planned. A lot of the habits that smokers have developed are subconscious and can increase the cravings. Examples are chewing gum and developing some other habit you can do that includes the whole arm to mouth movement. Since you're already on a diet plan, having snacks like carrots or celery or whatnot handy can help. Maybe even see about having some low-cal treats that trigger an endorphin rush/reaction to help with cravings.

Avoid that places that you purchased cigarettes or smoked them. Just the place can trigger a craving. Also, the people you used to smoke with may not be the most supportive and may trigger you too just through comments that they say without even thinking. I have a co-worker who quit 2 years ago who will still feel the urge to smoke when some of our other co-workers leave to go out for a smoke after meetings.

Those are the biggest things I can think of. Good luck and let us know how it goes.