MP3 player for running

Options
I want to get my partner an MP3 player for Christmas for his runs; he borrows my iphone sometimes but it jumps a lot. Any recommendations?

Replies

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Maybe an iPod Nano or Shuffle? I don't own either, but they're small and portable. The nano is getting pretty sophisticated, from the looks of things.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My hubbie just bought me an ipod nano for my birthday. It is small and Belkin makes a rubber wrist watch strap that it clips on to. It also has a pedometer and radio setting. I love it!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I use an iPod Shuffle. It's tiny, weighs nothing, and I just turn it on and go. If you want to be able to scroll through a song list and selectively play things, then the Nano is probably a better choice.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks all; seems like ipod is the way to go!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have an iPod touch and a case/strap that I wear on my left arm. I have an app on there that tracks my distance/number of steps, and it allows me to listen to my music within the app.
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have an iPod but I bought a Sandisk Sansa Clip+ for when I work out. They're really small and come with a clip so they can clip on anywhere. It also has a display screen (which the iPod shuffles don't and I can't stand) and it also streams local radio stations which was important to me. I've been really happy with it. It's a great work out buddy. They're about the same as a shuffle and a lot less than a nano!

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321467415&sr=8-2

But there's a newer model now: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMX22-004G-A57K-Sansa-Clip-Black/dp/B005FVNGRS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
  • russellswitzer1
    Options
    I have the iPOD shuffle 2 GB with the clip and love it. It is small and lightweight. Best of all it just clips to your waist band (can't stand something strapped to my arm when running). The battery life is like 15 hours so you don't have to charge it all the time. Personally I don't want a screen to have to look at when running. I can pause, forward/reverse songs and turn the sound up or down without taking the unit from my waistband. Just my 2 cents worth........
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Theres a gadget you can get with the shuffle that will track your average speed etc. I think it is a Nike thing where you put soemthing in your shoe and plug a jack into the shuffle.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The Sansa Clips are great. I had one for 4 years of use in all kinds of Californian weather (hot, sunny, sweaty and cold, rainy - obviously no snow, but yes to freezing temps (high 20s)). Eventually it's backlighting gave out. 4 years for $30 is great in my book. Would have lasted longer if I had protected it ;)

iPod touch + armstrap. Fine, the Belkin strap I have isn't small enough. Still bounces. I killed it the first time I tried running in the rain. Now it's battery dies in 8 hours ON STANDBY i.e. when it's not on.

Now when I'm biking, I do use my phone (Sony android) for music and GPS logging. Ziploc bag it in the jersey pocket. No good place to put it when running unless I take a water belt. And I only take a water belt when it's over 90F, because I hate the bounce.
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm big on the anti-ipod campaign because I think they are over priced, and you have to use I-tunes.

I have a Phillips GoGear Vibe 4GB MP3 player.

It cost $20 on a black friday sale and the battery lasts like 40+ hours, I think new you can get them for $40 from Amazon.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Being a runner (some long distances), I highly recommend the IPOD shuffle. I have used it for years. It is light (major plus), has a built in clip (major plus), relatively cheap (~ $46, plus), and good sound. The memory it uses is Flash versus some more expensive IPOD devices that use mini hard drives. Flash has no moving parts to break or skip when continuously jarred by running. Also, since it has no display, the battery life time is much better (incredibly long compared to ones with screen). I charge mine every 2-3 weeks, but it doesn't always need it then (just don't want to run out of songs mid run).

Yes, you can not pick songs to play. You can only skip to the next one. I only load songs I like to run to, so not much of an issue for me. I occasional skip 1 or 2, but I like not knowing what's coming. It keeps you guessing.

I have to get new earphone's though. I just can't keep the ear buds in my ears while running. I use some ugly ones, but they stay very secure and sound great. Here is a link to them (Only $15):

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321470443&sr=8-2
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i like the small clip types, much easier than having a massive ipod/phone strapped to your arm, and also much cheaper to replace if you manage to lose/break it/get rained on while out running!
    ive used both a phillips go gear and an ipod shuffle, which were pretty much different brands of the same thing, if you already have an iphone its probably easier to go with ipod as you will already have your music in itunes.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My hubbie just bought me an ipod nano for my birthday. It is small and Belkin makes a rubber wrist watch strap that it clips on to. It also has a pedometer and radio setting. I love it!

This. I would also recommend better headphones than the one's that come with it. I have a nice pair of BOSE as does my husband. However, he wants these for Christmas for running:

http://www.polkaudio.com/headphones/ultrafit/ultrafit3000
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sansa Clip (or Clip+ for more memory) - love mine. Compatible with ITunes, Amazon tunes, Rhapsody, whatever. Uses Windows Media Player on your PC .... simple! Bigger than a Shuffle - but still is tiny. 2" x 1.5" approx.

I have an Ipod Shuffle - never use it. You almost have to use ITunes (exclusively) ... what a pain. The Shuffle is also more expensive than the Sansa & has no menu (unlike the Sansa).
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I will add a vote for the shuffle. It is so handy and doesn't distract from anything. It is very affordable and lightweight. I had an old nano and some other mp3 players before but they always bothered me with the weight or size. I forget I'm even carrying the shuffle.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Agree with the SansaClip. They are the size of a matchbook and terrific! These will be on sale at Radio Shack on Black Friday for $34.99. (4GB) Sooo easy to load music - just drag and drop on your computer. I buy my music from Amazon.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12241414
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I use my Iphone. I do a lot of trail running, so I love the ability to have access to a phone, GPS, ect if need be. As far as controlling the bulk of your Ipod, you may want to invest in an armband. Mine has held up for a several hundred miles, now my biggest problem is finding a pair of headphones that actually stay in my ears. :(
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    This. I would also recommend better headphones than the one's that come with it. I have a nice pair of BOSE as does my husband. However, he wants these for Christmas for running:

What Bose headphones do you use for running?
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I have the ipod nano, it's a replacement for my itouch which i broke (water damage from my water bottle).

I love it. It's so light, I don't have to wear an arm band, and it has the nike + on there, so I now don't have to wear the transistor on my shoe. Added bonus.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    This is all really helpful; thank you so much everybody. Many of you are recommending Apple products (and as an iphone owner, I am a great fan myself), but I don't think he would be happy being restricted to itunes. Is that absolute?