saggy stomach help

Options
Howdy all. I'm posting this topic because, well, it's an issue I have, and it really bothers me. I'm 19 years old, 5' 6", SW235 and CW145. I've noticed when I look at pictures of other ladies weight loss, in the 'after' photos their stomachs almost always look smooth, tight and, well, youthful.

But when I look at my stomach, it's nothing close. I'm within 10 pounds of my goal weight, but my stomach does NOT look normal. I have loads of stretchmarks, my stomach looks lumpy and 'loose' in general, and the bottom of my stomach hangs down like a disgusting, parasitic little apron.

It's SO frustrating to have to look at this everyday. If I was middle-aged or perhaps a mother, I would understand why it would look like this... but come on, I'm a 19 year old girl! Even some of my friends who have a bit of a stomach on them, for them it's cute. Their stomach just sticks out like a little pooch... But mine just HANGS there! I'm so disgusted... someone my age please tell me I'm not alone =/

Replies

• Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    you need to give your skin time to stretch back, and do toning exercises to tighten the area back up :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think a lot of how your skin recovers is genetic. I've got friends who had babies without getting a single stretch mark and their skin returned to normal quickly while mine got horrible marks and never tightened (I had a tummy tuck).

I know products like Bio Oil are popular, but I honestly don't know if they actually work.

BTW- Congrats on the weight loss!!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am not your age, but here are some tips to help

1) Keep doing core strengthing exercises (not just stomach crunches)
    2) Keep your skin well hydrated with your favorite lotions/creams
    3) Re assess after your weight has been stable for at least a year.
    4) After all the above, consider tummy tuck (but not before).

:flowerforyou:
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You are in no way alone! I'm nowhere near to losing the weight you have, well done btw, and already have awful stretch marks/sagginess. It's just hard luck and a sign of success of how quickly you'ev lost the weight. I suppose the only thing to do is tone like hell and use intensive products like bio-oil and moisturising things, doesn't sound like much of a reward does it?
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and my stomach is kind of the same way, I still have a lot more weight to lose but I know my stomach will never be able to get tight and smooth without surgery because I've been obese practically all my life. Not sure what to tell you besides the fact that you are certainly not alone.
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm not 19 (wish I were again :) ) but I did see one gal post tummy pics that she tightened up after 2 months of training. I hope it's like that for me as I have what you describe as well and am worried it will never go away.
    Hope you find answers
    K
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm not your age, but I have had a bit of experience with such things. Give your body time to adjust. You age is a BIG Point in your favor. When I lost weight in the past, I always it funny that the compliments came later -- sometimes after I had started gaining it back. Wow! you've lost so much! you should be doing the happy dance!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    start lifting heavy. It will help a lot. Since you are still young I won't recommend abdominoplasty - I just had it, I'm not having anymore children and I LOVE my results.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly, this is normal for many people. :( I lost 89 lbs and have the same issue. My skin does look alot better than it did a month ago, so i'm hoping if I give it more time it will bounce back to a less embarrasing look.

If it runs in the family then it may be unavoidable because genetics play a huge factor, but sometimes the skin just needs a little time to catch up. =)
  • WhitneyJerome
    WhitneyJerome Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! Except I am a mother of one =) I'm 20 and there is lots of stretch marks and LOTS of saggy skin in the belly area.I did not take the greatest care of my skin during pregnancy =( I also have about 9-10 pounds to lose. I am hoping after I drop the weight and do some toning the area will tighten. Were still young we can do it!!
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone! Lots of people who have either lost a ton of weight (congratulations, by the way!) or had a baby have extra skin on their bellies. I don't have advice that's any better than what has already been posted, I just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel! All these perfect after photos make people feel like they are bizarre for having stretch marks and extra skin!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    How skin recovers depends on a lot of things, but the main factors are how quickly you gained weight, how long you were overweight, and how quickly you lost weight. If the skin doesn't have enough time to stretch and make new tissue as you gain weight it will have small tears (stretch marks) and will be less likely to shrink back as you lose weight. This is why so many women can't get rid of the little saggy bit after having children. If you are overweight for a long period of time it can also be much harder for your skin to shrink back, which is why so many people get full body lifts after losing significant amounts of weight. Losing weight slower can give your skin a better chance of shrinking back, especially if you keep it moisturized. But, sometimes it just doesn't happen no matter what you do. Once you've got an apron of skin with little fat, there's not much that will get it to go away, other than surgery. That skin is just loose, it isn't attached to fat or muscle or anything else. All the toning in the world won't tighten the skin.

And now I'm pretty bummed out about my own belly, which I'm sure will need a tummy tuck after having kids and losing weight.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    you need to give your skin time to stretch back, and do toning exercises to tighten the area back up :)

^this.
    When I lost the weight the first time (yep, doing it again after pregnancy, plus 30lb) I was your age, your weight and hated my stomach. But I never did strength training of any kind so I'm hoping this time around it'll look semi normal after all the gain and preggo stretch.
    Good lucj!
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ok, here goes.

It totally depends how quickly or slowly you lose the weight. With extreme weight loss, your skin doesn't bounce back as quickly.

It may take a while for your skin to shrink. The fact that it's a bit crinkley, is ok, that means your body is trying to pull it back in. You can help it out by wearing compression pants, and things like spanx. Again, this is not an overnight fix.

And yes, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drink water, keep good lotion like shea butter, coco butter, or maybe even a high end stretch mark reducer/firming cream.

The older you get, the slower your skin bounces back, so you should feel lucky you got your weight under control at 19!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You lost a lot of weight, loose skin is an issue with a lot of people. For some, it corrects itself. Others end up needing surgery
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    two words: JILLIAN MICHAELS

get her dvds, i went down 3 inches in my hips and 3 inches in my waist after having my son, and i never had a toned core in my life. get BANISH FAT BOOST METABOLISM and 30 Day Shred. You'll definitely see a difference. Also, moisturize your tummy. if your skin is dry it doesn't stretch/shrink well.
  • Alexabarocas
    Options
    *is 19*

Well, I've not got any saggy skin as I haven't lot that much weight yet, but like everyone has said, you need to allow your body to adjust to all the weight loss, as well as doing lots of toning. The combination of the two should make a difference! But if it's extremely lose, sometimes it doesn't go away completely, but don't get discouraged! Your stomach shows a great accomplishment. :)
  • JRW2010
    JRW2010 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Way to go on losing all that weight! I am older and am facing the same issue. I am hoping with exercise it will help, but like another post said, after a year... TUMMY TUCK!