Tornados, Earthquakes, and hurricanes!

Options

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    HAHA! We got so bummed this year when the hurricanes missed us! We wanted to part-ay!!!
    Go boogie boarding down the streets and street surfing! :laugh:
    Hurricanes are fun! Bring on the party... I live on the gulf of Mexico and we get our fair share. Just pop a top on the beer and hop in the back of a truck to watch the show (no judegment please :smile: ). Tornado's dont really scare me that much either, but earthquakes on the other hand.... NO THANKS!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Have been in tornados (lost home), earthquakes (relatively small), been rescued by boat in floods (from 2nd flr apt), and lived through plenty of blizzards. Have not experienced a hurricane, but would rather not live in tornado alley again (I was raised there).
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    in Australia hurricanes are called cyclones...and i grew up in cyclone country...they dont bother me in the least...in fact, in Australia cyclone calls for a party...bring beer, an esky full of ice and all the meat in your freezer that will go bad while the power is of for days at a time...may as well make the best of the time off from work....

or, if your a kid...grab your boogy board and head for the stormwater drains...just avoid the fallen trees floating down and be sure you get out of the water before you get sucked under the bridge...

now i live in Alabama...not far from Auburn which looks like it was pretty badly tore up from a tornado today...sirens have been going off since about 12pm...im organised and ready, but not scared....

do earthquakes scare me...nope...cause i am an "it is what it is" type person...being aware and not scared is a huge help to me...
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Funny that you mention this, because metro Atlanta is under a tornado warning right now. The sirens are going off as I type haha. You get used to them down here in the south.

Hi neighbor.

There's one a couple of miles from my house that when sounding, just means portions of Cobb/Fulton/and Cherokee. Then there's another one that's two blocks away that was going off for around 30 minutes

All gone now.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    :noway: Tornados and earthquakes make me more nervous since there is not much if any kind of warning! I live in Florida so I am used to hurricanes, you have plenty of time to plan and prepare.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i think it all depends on what you have where you live..being in Colorado..im not worried about hurricaines or earthquakes..but im scard sh*tless of tornados!!!!!!!:noway:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    earthquakes are high on my fear radar because i've never experienced them.

tornados are fairly common here, not a big deal to me.

hurricanes - i get the hell out of there, and then get excited because that means all my south coast friends and family get to come stay with me to wait it out! :)
  • rockyvernen
    Options
    I say Earthquakes cause I never been through one . Done hurricanes and Tornados In Soth Florida and Blizzards on Cape Cod.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    we get really small scale Earthquakes up here, they freak me out a little, but I'd like to see how I feel after being in a 8 or 9. I have a friend who was in Tokyo when theirs hit, he dislocated his shoulder and a concussion from falling (it shook so hard).

I like a big storm... so hurricanes are good - but again, never been through a rip your house to shreds type of hurricane, so I can't say if I'd pee my pants if I were.

Tornados scare the crap out of me. Lived through a small one and well, I'm happy I live in a place where the worst we get is snowstorms.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Earthquake! Common in Socal.
    Never been in a tornado or hurricane.
    Northridge quake in 94, scariest sheeit I've ever experienced.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'm California born & raised, so I really can't comment on anything other than earthquakes. We did travel the US in '76 & were under a tornado watch in a KOA campground on the east coast once, but I was only 9 at the time & don't really remember it that well. The Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 was the worst one I've had to deal with.
    I guess when we move to Hawaii after my husband retires, I'll have to deal with hurricanes, tsunamis & earthquakes too. So i might have a different vote on which one I fear the most then.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think it can depend on how close you've been to one. Sure, it's hilarious if nothing bad happened to you as a result. Like Q said, lose everything to one, not so amusing. As a kid experiencing a tornado literally going through our back yard, I'll pass thanks. When the tornado sirens go off I get my kids up out of their beds and into a safe spot. I am not amused when my friends laugh and say they just ignore them.
  • MindyLynn77
    Options
    Hurricanes are fun! Bring on the party... I live on the gulf of Mexico and we get our fair share. Just pop a top on the beer and hop in the back of a truck to watch the show (no judegment please :smile: ). Tornado's dont really scare me that much either, but earthquakes on the other hand.... NO THANKS!

LOL.. We used to have Hurricane Parties all the time.. Ppl would be in the store buying water and canned foods, we would be buying chips and beer and stuff to BBQ!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Hurricane Parties? Hurricanes are fun? I just hope you're never in a really bad one, then.
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    TORNADO.

Althoug Hurricanes are bad on there own, everytime i have been in one, or when one is coming, the only thing i am really scared about it a tornado coming with it, and how the electricity is going to be out for days.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would say Hurricanes, but I lived with there threat for so long (I used to live in SC and moving to NC in a few months) that I know I can handle it and get to safety.

In Michigan we used to have a lot of Tornado warnings, but I never seen/experienced one, but I still feel like I would know what to do if something happened.

As far as Earthquakes, I have only experienced one but I was asleep and it was only a 2.9. (I think)
    So right now i would have to say none scare me the most, but each are scary in their own right.

Although it's not on the list I think Volcanoes are the scariest natural disaster.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

Please do not make jokes in the 'chit chat fun and games' section. Come to think of it, should you really be joking about alcohol, either? Remember that people can be easily offended..........even the ones who scoff at how sensitive others are.
    But, next time we have a hurricane warning and we're all 'hunkering down', I'll know where to find the beer! :wink:
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Please do not make jokes in the 'chit chat fun and games' section. Come to think of it, should you really be joking about alcohol, either? Remember that people can be easily offended..........even the ones who scoff at how sensitive others are.
    But, next time we have a hurricane warning and we're all 'hunkering down', I'll know where to find the beer! :wink:

Don't be such a bully sheesh!
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely terrified of tornadoes. I moved to NC a couple months ago and I remember earlier this year my friend texting me pictures and sending me videos of all the damage that a tornado did to Raleigh. Hurricanes don't bother me because I'm so far inland that it's just rainy...I guess the biggest threat is of the ground becoming so waterlogged that the dirt loosens up and the trees will fall on people or cars or buildings. Earthquakes don't phase me...this area won't get the really bad ones like Japan or California get, and also I don't live in some huge skyscraper that might come crashing down. I'm from the North and I'm surprised you didn't mention blizzards or ice storms...they have the ability to knock out your power and freeze your pipes, and if there is enough snow and wind, you cannot get out to get more supplies if you don't stock up ahead of time. My Dad's cousin died about 15 years ago due to a huge ice storm where I'm from! I'm personally not afraid of snow (due to 26 years experience with it), and I agree with whoever said that it's what you don't have a lot of experience with that will usually invoke the most fear.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

Don't be such a bully sheesh!

Ha! I love you!