5k strategy

Options
I was thinking about a burnout strategy in a 5k. I have always tried to pace myself when I run them and end up with about the same time. I figure I should push harder but then I get the "pace yourself" voice in my head.

I am thinking of doing a 5k this weekend and in it try my best to stay up front. I KNOW I will not win and more than likely will burn out but does anyone think that I may improve my time with this or make it worse?

Would I burn out too quick and then have to slow to a pace that ends up hurting my time?

Thoughts?

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    look at runner's world's website. They have programs for running races faster. The other option which I was considering was using my couch to 5K app and rather than run/walking, I would job when it said to walk and push harder when it said to run.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    How about doing intervals?

Start out with 5 minutes going fast, recover for a couple minutes, then repeat! That way you get some speed work in but don't hit the wall with half the race to go.

No matter how you run it, have fun!
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I always end up like that. I will start slow trying to keep my pace, but I am so competitive I HAVE to try to get in the front, from the very beginning! The last time I did it, they had everything put away by the time I got back. I tired myself out so quick I almost didn't make it through. My suggestion is, train for weeks before hand and work up the pace, but don't push yourself at the very beginning! :wink:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    The other option which I was considering was using my couch to 5K app and rather than run/walking, I would job when it said to walk and push harder when it said to run.

I've heard of people doing that. Also upping your distance has been known to help you run your shorter distances faster. I shaved 5 minutes off my 5k time in less than a month, mainly by upping my distance.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I like to go out hard for the first km, then settle into that steady smooth pace that fits your stride for the next 3. Final km start pushing it again, last half km should be picking up the pace for real now, and the last 1/4 is everything you've got, long powerful strides, concentrating on getting your knee's up. Then follow the race with a nice friendly vomit (I prefer to eat a few frootloops before the race so that if I do, it's at least entertaining and colorful haha).
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options

I am thinking of doing a 5k this weekend and in it try my best to stay up front. I KNOW I will not win and more than likely will burn out but does anyone think that I may improve my time with this or make it worse?

Thoughts?

You KNOW you won't win and will burn out? Change the attitude right there! You DO Have a shot at winning, you WON'T burn out and then what happens happens. You've prepared the best you can and will run the best race you can. Worry only about yourself, not the others and focus on your race alone.

It sounds as if you need to train better for race conditions. intervals, pacing, tempo runs, etc.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Push hard! The worst you can do is get a worse time but you'll learn so much about yourself (endurance, will, etc...) Besides, doing the same thing and expecting different results is.......................
    If you are trying to better your 5K time then you should be jogging at least a 10K and intervals (like Jessicamckay13 said) on your training runs. (two different runs: long runs one day and intervals on another)
    Good Luck!
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about trying to get a better time on this one race, I would not bolt out at the beginning. I always run a little faster just from the adrenaline and crowd. I wouldn't recommend pushing even more than a natural race-day jolt. If you're more interested in improving your next several 5Ks, then you should wear yourself out a little more.

When my dad ran his first race in high school, he went too fast and tired out. His coach asked him if he learned anything, and he said to not run so hard at the beginning. His coach said he learned the wrong thing. (If you have nothing left, your next run will have more to give before you get back to nothing.)

It's like a new battery; run it until it's completely empty then recharge.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Maybe rather than the front of the back you should shoot for somewhere thats further up than where you usually run but not so far that you'll burn out. Like if you're usually in the middle, pick someone that's a ways ahead of you and catch up to them then run at that speed and see what you think.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about a burnout strategy in a 5k. I have always tried to pace myself when I run them and end up with about the same time. I figure I should push harder but then I get the "pace yourself" voice in my head.

Would I burn out too quick and then have to slow to a pace that ends up hurting my time?

Thoughts?

I have a friend who runs 5k's like this...however, he wins races and tris all the time and is in amazing shape. If I did that, I would probably not be able to finish.

I don't know how you train for your 5k's, but doing intervals have majorly improved my times.
  • rebeccask
    Options
    For long term, I would also suggest doing high intensity intervals. They're sooo helpful for increasing speed. Considering the race is only a few days away, I'm not sure if you'd see the results you're looking for. Come race day, I would probably start out my normal 5k pace (which is usually faster on race day because of the excitement) and speed it up the last mile and even more so the last 0.1 miles. Good luck!!!
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    No run training.

I literally ran a 5k dry last month and this will be my 1st time even running it since that race.

I do a lot of Cardio training but no running lately.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is try it. Most everyone is different. I have tried both ways and i am pooped half way through both ways..lol. Want to run faster...then run faster! I was caught in a 9:00 minute mile for 6 miles out 1x/week and 8:30 for 4 miles5x/week. Lately I have been doing sprints and Tempo runs with a 6-8 miler on the weekend. My 1st 5K was 26:20. Last week it was 23:52 on the exact same course. I have started to (after a warm up ~ .25 - .5 mile jog) run my next 5K goal pace of 7:00 for as long as i can. a tad over a mile this week, then jog to recover. next week i will shoot for another tenth or so further etc..until i can get to 3 miles at that pace. Be sure to mix your runs: long and slow (worry about distance not speed) and mix with fast (Tempos or 800 meter sprints). Run several 5Ks that are close and experiment what works for you. Dont forget about the warm up and what rest you get the week leading up to it. Those variables are just as important or more than neg/ pos splits.

FWIW: I have heard several of the faster guys (sub 20:00) say they go out for the first mile hard and then do what they can to hang on for the finish...
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The answer to this isn't a simple Yes or No. If you have the endurance to pull it off, and maintain that high pace and higher heart rate, then go for it. If you don't have enough endurance for maintaining a high heart rate, then you'll likely peter out too quickly, and negate the time you've gained in the first place, and even come in slower had you picked a more realistic pace.

I recommend you pick a pace that you know you can maintain, and then pick up the pace in the back half of the race.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try it but the fear of burn out / not being able to finish haunts me.
  • hey_robbie
    Options
    I have had a bit of success the opposite way (in a sense); instead of trying to add speed at the front of the race, I run with the "pace yourself" voice in my head for most of the race and then try to run a much faster "kick" pace at the end. Each time I try to start the kick a little bit earlier. Of course I still burn out sometimes, but if I can see the finish line 100m ahead sometimes I can drag myself to it, and if I can't I have it in my head that I'm just "that close" to being able to start my kick as early as I did.

Psychologically I find this more bearable than starting out at a pace I know will not be sustainable and waiting for the bottom to drop out.