HELP I nd ANSWERS!!!!

Options
Hey how many of u eat the calories that u hv burned? Last night afta watching the BIGGEST LOSER, they said u hv 2 hv 500 calories remaining everyday in order 2 lose weight, Im sure that depends on the type of calories u r intakin...I eat sum of my burn sumtimes, cud that b the reason I havent lost anymore weight? My daily goal is 1380 & I burn at least 500 everyday, so what Im trying to figure out is should I only be eating 1380 or less daily or 1380 + the burned amount? HELP me undastand this?

Replies

• YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What did you use as your goals and settings when you signed up for MFP? MFP already creates a deficit for you based just on calories to live (BMR). Then if you exercise more they encourage you to eat all/most of those back so that your deficit isn't too low because that can mess up your metabolism. For me, I'm at 1380/day with a goal of losing 2 lbs/week. Therefore I should be netting around 1380 every day. Your net is calories in (what you eat) minus calories burned (via exercise). I hope that helps.
  • kantone999
    Options
    MFP's calculator bases your daily calorie intake on what you need to lose weight at the rate you selected in your profile. So you can eat back your exercise calories and still lose weight. HOWEVER, my supposed daily caloric "need" according to MFP is over 1600. This is WAAAAY over what my nutritionist said which was 1200-1300. If I eat 1500 calories, I don't lose. If I eat 1200, I do. Good luck on your plan!
  • DivaRenae
    Options
    What did you use as your goals and settings when you signed up for MFP? MFP already creates a deficit for you based just on calories to live (BMR). Then if you exercise more they encourage you to eat all/most of those back so that your deficit isn't too low because that can mess up your metabolism. For me, I'm at 1380/day with a goal of losing 2 lbs/week. Therefore I should be netting around 1380 every day. Your net is calories in (what you eat) minus calories burned (via exercise). I hope that helps.
    Im still confused, so do I eat only 1380? or do I eat 1380 plus the 500 Ive burned which is 1980????????
  • DivaRenae
    Options
    MFP's calculator bases your daily calorie intake on what you need to lose weight at the rate you selected in your profile. So you can eat back your exercise calories and still lose weight. HOWEVER, my supposed daily caloric "need" according to MFP is over 1600. This is WAAAAY over what my nutritionist said which was 1200-1300. If I eat 1500 calories, I don't lose. If I eat 1200, I do. Good luck on your plan!
    Im still confused, so do I eat only 1380? or do I eat 1380 plus the 500 Ive burned which is 1980????????
  • WifenMom
    Options
    I am 41 and have dieted after each child I've had (3 for me ;-)
    Each time - the ONLY thing that has worked for me is dropping my calorie intake down to 1200 calories.
    Last year after joining this site -I worked out, jogged - and ate the xtra calories MFP said I was entitled - and the scale didn't move much.
    I then dropped to 1200 calories no matter how much I worked out - and the scale moved down, down, down.
    For most women trying to lose weight, my Dr says we should drop down to 1200 cal/day and no more than 30-40 G of fat per day.
    Hope that helps!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Eat 1980. The magic of MFP is that it already calculates that 500 calories for you. To maintain your weight on the day you work out you would need to eat 2480.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and have dieted after each child I've had (3 for me ;-)
    Each time - the ONLY thing that has worked for me is dropping my calorie intake down to 1200 calories.
    Last year after joining this site -I worked out, jogged - and ate the xtra calories MFP said I was entitled - and the scale didn't move much.
    I then dropped to 1200 calories no matter how much I worked out - and the scale moved down, down, down.
    For most women trying to lose weight, my Dr says we should drop down to 1200 cal/day and no more than 30-40 G of fat per day.
    Hope that helps!

All women are not the same. I have to eat at least 1500 a day on days I don't exercise and more on days I do, if I go lower then I stop losing. I've noticed for me that it doesn't matter how much fat I eat as long as it's from natural sources (meats vs junk) but I lose better with my protein higher and my carbs lower. Every person is made different and your doctor can't generalize saying women should only eat 1200 cal/day to lose.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    welll for me in order to lose weight, i DON"T eat back all my calories. If i do, I will not lose, i will only maintain. I currently for the past 1 month have been eating all my calories with exercise calories included. I have NOT lost any weight, just maintained. My calorie goal is set at 1300, i eat about 1800-2000 cause of the exercise calories. But after the holidays I will go back into not eating all my exercise calories so I can take off the additional lbs put on. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yez U want 2 eat dose calz
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    If you have chosen to go with MFP's caloric settings and you have chosen sedentary, and that you would like to lose 1 lb per week, then it will take your BMR multiply it by about 1.25 and subtract out the 500 per day so that you have eaten 3500 calories less than you would burn. That is why if you exercise MFP automatically adds those calories to your food diary. However you don't HAVE to eat those calories.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey how many of u eat the calories that u hv burned? Last night afta watching the BIGGEST LOSER, they said u hv 2 hv 500 calories remaining everyday in order 2 lose weight, Im sure that depends on the type of calories u r intakin...I eat sum of my burn sumtimes, cud that b the reason I havent lost anymore weight? My daily goal is 1380 & I burn at least 500 everyday, so what Im trying to figure out is should I only be eating 1380 or less daily or 1380 + the burned amount? HELP me undastand this?

i would like to help you but cannot understand what you wrote
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    However you don't HAVE to eat those calories.
    It's just a really good idea.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I eat back at least 80% of my workout calories otherwise I don't lose weight as quickly because, not having much left to lose, it's harder to lose with a large deficit. So by eating my workout calories, I keep it to the deficit MFP gave me which has always worked. But if you have a lot of weight to lose (like 20+ lbs) then play around with what works best for you. That may be eating them all, not at all or somewhere in between. In other words, experiment with different levels (at least 1 week for each set of cal levels to get the best idea of whether it works or not - keep your workouts the same to minimize the variables) and then choose which one worked best.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do a trial for your body eat your full calories after workout for two weeks see if you lose weight...then try two weeks with 1300 cals and see if you do. each person different but if you really working out hard your body needs the carbs and protien to function and build more muscle which in turns burns more fat.
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I find that mixing it up works for me.

Some days I eat back nearly all of my calories, other days none, and other days half.

The thing that makes the MOST difference for ME is how much water I drink. I hate drinking water. Anytime I drink 10 or more cups worth, I lose. So, I force myself to do this every 2-3 days.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Eat your cals, if explanataion is required then please use the search function
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    generally, if you feel hungry, eat back your exercise calories and if you dont feel hungry then dont. but another thing to note is that, really, you should only be eating back the exercise calories that you log if you selected your activity level as what your activity level is without any intentional exercise. So say you have a sedentary job, but you workout frequently. Instead of selecting "moderately active," select sedentary and log your exercise. If you were to select "moderately active" mfp calculates your calorie allowance to be higher because its factoring in a rough estimate of how many calories you burn on top of your bmr. then if you logged/ate back exercise calories. it'd be like double logging exercise!! i hope that made sense!!:happy:
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Every body is different AND your body changes as you go. I tried a few different calorie levels and landed on 1200 to start, not eat back my weight loss calories and lost like crazy! Then I plateaued for a few weeks and finally kicked it by eating back about a third of my exercise calories. Try a few different combos and see what works for you!