Diet soda, Is it bad for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• ProudDaddy
    ProudDaddy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I will have an occasional Diet Coke (like once a week at dinner). I have read the studies about diet drinks having a negative effect on weight loss. I dont know how much of that is physiological or psychological, but either way I'd stick with water, and an occasional non aspartame crystal light or herbal tea. Oh and caffeine just does nothing good for you. Stay away from it. My opinion.
    thanks i think i will
  • Tyler4846
    Options
    The only soda I've gotten in the past month is when I'm at a restuarant,
    I haven;t bought any cases or grabbed any pop from the stores
    when I stop for gas. Actually a huge accomplishment for me.
    Considering I used to down a few cases a week (3-4 or more)
  • ProudDaddy
    ProudDaddy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    so I am addicted also and tried stopping but I literally get sick from the caffeine withdrawals. i drink just as much water as i do diet but i dont drink anything else! how do you just exist on water alone?
    I dont know but im gonna try for a while to see if it helps. It is true that i have a bad sweet tooth and if i cut out the diet soda, maybe ill be killing 2 birds with 1 stone..Thanks for your input, it was helpfull:smile:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i have quit before I just need to again. dont like tea or coffee either and juice has too many calories but i think if you cut it with water it would be fine. i know how bad it is, just have to bite the bullet just like everything else and stop making excuses! hubby drinks a lot also so that is hard too but I want to be a good example for the kids also, my oldest quit drinking dp and they never drink diet but he has not had any for almost a month!
  • LizHaynes
    Options
    im told i dont drink nearly enough water daily..I like tea so maybe ill substitute tea for diet soda and see how that works.:smile:

Be careful with the tea...it has the same amount of caffeine as coffee and if you are trying to give up the caffeine for a de-tox then you will need to give up coffee, tea, cola of All varieties.

Those studies that said more people gained weight on the diet soda than the regular are mostly bull**** too coz they didn't do food diaries for them to see what they were eating. Apparently when they want to measure just one thing they cant measure everything to see...personally I just think it is an uncontrolled experiment and has absolutely no validity.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks everyone for your input..Im going to trust in it and quit drinking diet soda and drink just water..My body could probly use a good flushing anyway..Thanks again. I guess my wife was right lol
    Rule #1. I am always right.
    Rule #2 If I am wrong, refer back to rule #1.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Just kidding..I know you've been frustrated with your progress (and you've been doing great btw), I think if you cut out the diet crap and drink water with an occasional real soda, you might be happier. Its worth a shot right?:smooched:
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks everyone for your input..Im going to trust in it and quit drinking diet soda and drink just water..My body could probly use a good flushing anyway..Thanks again. I guess my wife was right lol

She usually is right LOL oxoxo
  • bbabs99
    Options
    "The researchers followed 474 diet soda drinkers for ten years and found that their belt size expanded 70% more than those who avoided diet soda. Even as little as two diet sodas a day caused the waistline of the soda drinkers to grow 5 times more than the non-drinkers in the study."

These studies only test correlation, not causation. Just because they gained weight doesn't mean it's because of the diet soda. They have no scientific proof that diet soda itself causes any sort of weight gain, only proof that people who drink diet soda are overweight and gain weight, which makes perfect sense.