Nuts/Nut Butter, Protein

Options
This is something that has always confused me.

I never understand why people talk about Nuts and Nut Butters like they're super high in protein, when they really aren't. When you look at a ratio of protein:calories, they're actually very ,very low. Broccoli has more protein per calorie, and so do many other vegetables, foods that are generally considered to be very low in protein.

Replies

• foodeeee
    foodeeee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't eat nuts for the [minimal] protein. I like the fat :)
  • bbabs99
    Options

I'm not trying to disparage nuts or nut butters in anyway, I think they're great and I have at least a serving a day, I just think that people somehow associate nuts and protein, despite the fact that most only have about 6 grams for 150 calories (if that) and it's a pretty measly and useless standalone protein source, as it lacks a bunch of amino acids.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

Ditto!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    completely agree! People do talk about it like it is a great source of protein.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Definitely a better source of fat than protein.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The thing with nuts/nut butters is that they are very calorie *dense*. It's much easier to eat 200 calories of peanut butter, about 20% of which would be protein, that it would be to get that from any vegetables. Most veggies are so calorie-light that it's not realistic to try to get significant protein from them.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    I never really thought to check this out. Thanks!
  • bbabs99
    Options
    The thing with nuts/nut butters is that they are very calorie *dense*. It's much easier to eat 200 calories of peanut butter, about 20% of which would be protein, that it would be to get that from any vegetables. Most veggies are so calorie-light that it's not realistic to try to get significant protein from them.

6 grams of protein is pretty insignificant as it is, and there are a bunch of lower calorie, lower density, higher protein things that people could be eating. Ones that are complete proteins, too.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I usually think of them as calorie dense foods with the added benefit of protein and fat.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

6 grams of protein is pretty insignificant as it is, and there are a bunch of lower calorie, lower density, higher protein things that people could be eating. Ones that are complete proteins, too.
    Of course, a lot of this depends on your personal goals. If weight loss is not your goal, it would be a fine source of protein, assuming you're trying to fit more calories into your day. It's still not a very 'good' source though, in my opinion, just fair.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I eat them for the fat/flavor. The protein is just a nice bonus.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I usually just think of them as delicious.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I usually just think of them as delicious.

agreed!

If nut butters are your primary protein source then I think there could be some total calorie issues :tongue:
  • bbabs99
    Options
    I'm glad y'all get it, at least.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I eat them for the fat/flavor. The protein is just a nice bonus.

Same here...I need those "good" Fats :)