Exercise help needed for 'bottom heavy'

Hey guys, I'm really struggling with knowings what's best exercise for loosing weight on bum and ESP legs (thighs). I've never had skinny legs and that fine, but with the weight I've gained my legs seem to have taken the brunt ... They are really rather big now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them slim in the most effective way??
Thankuuu in advance :-)

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Unfortunately, there's no way to spot-burn fat. Lowering your over-all body fat percentage will help accomplish that. You could supplement with strength training in order to build muscle, which will in turn help burn fat and help you tone up :D
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Squats.....squats....and more squats!!!!!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    cycling! take one of those classes, buy a bike or whatever. its fantastic at burning lower fat. also, zumba/dancing is, lots o hips. and kickboxing did my thighs a service for sure. walking lunges and wall sits...ugh. but they work. running might help too. plus i think everyone has different target fat foods that hit them all kinds of wrong. find it and avoid it.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Try out the Butt Bible program. You can find it on Exercise TV or Exercise TV.com

here is my success pics :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/377507-my-butt-bible-nsv?hl=Butt+Bible+Nsv+#posts-5149650

Good luck
  • gainess
    gainess Posts: 80 Member
    Squats and lunges
  • mrschappet

You can if you have the right diet and the right workouts.... I am living proof!!! :-)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Sorry, but we can't choose where to lose. All you can do is reduce calories consumed below calories burned, and be patient! Exercise is great for general health and a metabolism boost, not to mention firming and toning so that when you do lose the fat you can see those lovely firm muscles!

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    cycling! take one of those classes, buy a bike or whatever. its fantastic at burning lower fat. also, zumba/dancing is, lots o hips. and kickboxing did my thighs a service for sure. walking lunges and wall sits...ugh. but they work. running might help too. plus i think everyone has different target fat foods that hit them all kinds of wrong. find it and avoid it.
    You can't spot reduce an area with exercise. Target foods is also a myth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sianieee27
    sianieee27 Posts: 8 Member
    Wow thanks guys for all your quick responses!!! Squats.. I'm going to have to learn to love them :-p
  • rv40
    rv40 Posts: 99 Member
    Jillian michaels killer buns and thighs, zone pilates, and taebo lower body. I have the same problem. I'd be skinny if it weren't for thunder thighs and burger butt here!
  • ninerbuff

You can if you have the right diet and the right workouts.... I am living proof!!! :-)
    Anecdotal. The body loses fat systematically. Your genetics may have helped you to lose fat faster in your legs than anywhere else.

IDEA Fitness member
  • wrevhn

hey sugga, this butt bible..i've heard it mentioned before. is there a some up of its "rules/commandments" somewhere? i saw a cpl on youtube.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

I just checked your before/after pics, and Great work!

But i wouldn't call that a spot reduction. I would call that an overall body fat reduction.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I have lost a lot of weight. I've gained a great deal of definition, and even some muscles (I think). I still have huge thighs sadly. (I just posted my latest progress pictures in my blog).

BUT the muscles under the fat are getting strong and someday when I do manage to drop my body fat low enough to see them (I can see them sometimes when I do things like leg extensions, etc), I'm sure they will be fabulous!
  • wrevhn
    while its true we burn fat all over, if you build muscles more in one area, you will SEE more results there than other spots. so if you build more butt and thigh muscle, and muscle burns more fat, than you will SEE better results.
  • I have large legs and a big butt, myself... and I have found a few things helpful. The Hip Abductor machine at the gym works inner and outer thighs (on 2 separate machines). But you can mimic the inner thigh workout at home or work by squeezing a small ball between your knees. Just squeeze hard enough that you can feel it deep in your inner thigh muscle. And something I used for my butt is a workout that for some reason we called "Good Mornings." haha All you need is a bar or medicine ball, and a box. The box doesn't need to be very tall. So stand on top of the box with your feet at shoulders width and your legs straight. Hold the bar or medicine ball and let the weight of it pull you down as far as you can reach without bending your knees (like touching your toes). Hold it for 3 seconds then slowly rise back up. I'm not entirely sure why this works, but it did for me!
  • Squats and lunges

For sure!
  • ninerbuff
    while its true we burn fat all over, if you build muscles more in one area, you will SEE more results there than other spots. so if you build more butt and thigh muscle, and muscle burns more fat, than you will SEE better results.
    Untrue. If that were true then to see six pack abs, you would just have to build your absl obliques and serratus more. And we all know that's not true. While it sounds great in theory, building more muscle raises your metabolic rate to burn fat all over. Genetic predisposition dictates where fat is stored first and where it's lost last.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mrschappet

Anecdotal. The body loses fat systematically. Your genetics may have helped you to lose fat faster in your legs than anywhere else.

IDEA Fitness member

Nope quite the contrary. I have been working out consistently for over a year and lost most all my body fat in my upper body and couldn't lose that lower body fat no matter what I did.. or so it seamed. I started that butt bible program and went on my no red meats, no alcohol, lots of water diet and I my result are in the pictures I posted.