Recent non-smoker, and soon to be bikini ready!

Options
hi! i'm hoping hoping hopingggg that this will be something that will finally work for me! i've gained about 30 pounds since i started my job about a year and a half ago. in my profession, i get paid to make people look good! but it's hard when i don't feel good about myself, and people can sense that. i quit smoking 6 weeks ago becasue it was too expensive, and i was sick of walking up the staircase in my house and getting winded. since then i've started pilates and recently realized, i'm gaining weight anyways. i have been a binge eater for as long as i can remember, and i'm ready to finally get my weight in control! if anyone has any tips or encouragment, i would love to hear it! Thankkkks!
-Kate

Replies

• untouchable5853
    Options
    hi! i'm hoping hoping hopingggg that this will be something that will finally work for me! i've gained about 30 pounds since i started my job about a year and a half ago. in my profession, i get paid to make people look good! but it's hard when i don't feel good about myself, and people can sense that. i quit smoking 6 weeks ago becasue it was too expensive, and i was sick of walking up the staircase in my house and getting winded. since then i've started pilates and recently realized, i'm gaining weight anyways. i have been a binge eater for as long as i can remember, and i'm ready to finally get my weight in control! if anyone has any tips or encouragment, i would love to hear it! Thankkkks!
    -Kate
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for quitting smoking, I quit too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there and do the best you can with the weight loss. Bottom line quit it like the smokes, make your mind say it and do it. Next thing you know July is here and you are in that hot lil bikini.

Hang tough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Jennyryan21
    Jennyryan21 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking too. Everytime I think about cheating and going to smoke, I go jump on the treadmill. It has helped with both goals. Good luck :smile:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you continue to gain, even though you exercise and carefully watch what you eat, make sure you get your thyroid tested. I never knew mine was bad til I quit smoking and the pounds kept coming no matter what I did (it has been very frustrating to say the least) They say a smoker burns appx 200 more calories per day than the average non smoker, so smoking hid the fact that my thyroid wasn't working properly. Be prepared to work out harder than the guy next to you for a while, from what I read, your metabolism will straighten out in about six months. I am finally on my way back down (slowly) after getting on medication. I gained 11 pounds in 11 months even though I took up running and micro managed what I ate. I found even though all the info told me I should be eating 1600 - 1800 calories per day for the amount I exercised etc., anything over 1200 caused me to gain, which sucked. Sorry if I am a downer, I truly enjoy not smoking more than I enjoyed smoking but it has been a struggle for the last 11 months watching the weight creep on no matter what I did. Hopefully you guys are younger than me and your metabolism will snap back quicker. Stick with it, I am glad I did, just don't let gaining the weight get the best of you, if you do gain, it does some people and they go back to smoking.

Congrats on quitting I know it is hard, been there.
  • rohlfsg
    rohlfsg Posts: 1
    Options
    You are all so wonderfull to be talking about this. My name is gretchen and I lost 40lbs this last summer...... Then I quit smoking. That is the trouble. I caught the Weight gain at 5 pounds, thankfully but I just can't seem to stop eating everything. I have been a non smoker for over three months now and I could use any advise you have.
    Thanks
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    try taking up running, you can't even imagine adding smoking back into the picture, it's hard enough without smoking :happy: I like it though and it is really a feeling of accomplishment when you can finally go the distance.
  • Jennyryan21
    Jennyryan21 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I smoked a lot in my car so when I first quit I kept lollipops in my car just so I had something to hold and it helped to distract me.
  • untouchable5853
    Options
    that lolipop idea is wicked smart!
    that is still proving to be one of the hardest parts for me, cuz i always always lit up in my car!

thank you so much for all the support guys, i've been a member for about 2 hours..and i already LOVE it here! thanks :bigsmile: