Vent

Options
Okay, so I never post on here but I need to vent and since I started this a year ago you're always supporting each other. Well as I said I started this a year ago, I was 17 and hat's probably young to be watching weight but I got tired of being the overweight one, the one who's always self-conscious and hiding in oversized clothes. I lost about 20 lbs over the course of the year and never completely hit my goal but I was happy. Didn't last very long though..

Basically, we went on Christmas vacation and school and I stopped counting and started eating. But not just eating, crazy binges. I would sit down every night just because I had nothing to do and eat until I felt sick. So I slowly started gaining weight back and of course I was so depressed about it that I stopped exercised and started eating more. I guess I'm a perfect example of what they call an emotional eater. The slightest bit of emotion of any kind and I'm hitting the cupboards, stuffing whatever I can find into my face. Anyways, school started again and I became more stressed and as a result started eating even more, which would make me feel guilty, and then I'd eat even more! Tonight's one of those nights I just feel like there's no where to go. I gained back the 20 I lost plust 15 more so far and realizing that today just made me eat once again. A whole box of cookies after supper, followed by a second supper and then more snacks.

It just all seems hopeless. There's so many success stories for me to read on here and I just feel like I couldn't ever get there myself because I can't seem to find the will power. Maybe I'm just not a strong enough person to change.

Any thoughts? Please help!

Replies

• tmarianne
    tmarianne Posts: 16
    Options
    Okay, so I never post on here but I need to vent and since I started this a year ago you're always supporting each other. Well as I said I started this a year ago, I was 17 and hat's probably young to be watching weight but I got tired of being the overweight one, the one who's always self-conscious and hiding in oversized clothes. I lost about 20 lbs over the course of the year and never completely hit my goal but I was happy. Didn't last very long though..

Basically, we went on Christmas vacation and school and I stopped counting and started eating. But not just eating, crazy binges. I would sit down every night just because I had nothing to do and eat until I felt sick. So I slowly started gaining weight back and of course I was so depressed about it that I stopped exercised and started eating more. I guess I'm a perfect example of what they call an emotional eater. The slightest bit of emotion of any kind and I'm hitting the cupboards, stuffing whatever I can find into my face. Anyways, school started again and I became more stressed and as a result started eating even more, which would make me feel guilty, and then I'd eat even more! Tonight's one of those nights I just feel like there's no where to go. I gained back the 20 I lost plust 15 more so far and realizing that today just made me eat once again. A whole box of cookies after supper, followed by a second supper and then more snacks.

It just all seems hopeless. There's so many success stories for me to read on here and I just feel like I couldn't ever get there myself because I can't seem to find the will power. Maybe I'm just not a strong enough person to change.

Any thoughts? Please help!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you can change. the fact that you recognize what is happening is a major step towards changing it. it took me until I was past thirty to get my head out of my *kitten*. so you can feel proud that you are getting on the path so early. the same way you did it before is gonna work again. when you are feeling emotional, get on the boards and talk to us! That's why we have these boards!

Best wishes-
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    you can change. the fact that you recognize what is happening is a major step towards changing it. it took me until I was past thirty to get my head out of my *kitten*. so you can feel proud that you are getting on the path so early. the same way you did it before is gonna work again. when you are feeling emotional, get on the boards and talk to us! That's why we have these boards!

Best wishes-

Ditto.
    I was 26 with many, many health problems.
    17 is not too young to start eating right and exercising in a healthy way to maintain a healthy weight.
    Google up ways to deal with emotional eating. Take a walk, write in a journal, call a friend, post here! Learn how to channel those emotions into something positive and NOT FOOD. (I deal with this issue daily. It's a tough one.)

Good luck to you sweetie!!:flowerforyou:
  • tmarianne
    Options
    Thank you very much for answering at all!
    Feeling a little better, guess I just have to really sit down and get back to this like I used to. No more half attempts since those last me about a day and then I've given up once again.

You're all very inspiring :smile:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You can make the change. Posting here is a good first step. :heart:
    I find that after dinner when I'd usually be prowling the cupboard, coming here distracts me & everyone is talking about their success & their good choices. It's a good place to be. I read about everyone working out & doing all their exercise routines & my eyes were opened! :noway:
    I'm a lot older than you, but I thought 30 minutes a day for 3 days a week was pretty good.:huh:
    Then I came here & they're all talking about how many calories they burn & how many HOURS they work out. :ohwell:
    I felt like such a slacker. :sad:
    So now I'm working out a lot more & logging my food choices so I have something to post about.
    :bigsmile:
    Join some of the groups. Read some really old discussions.
    It's not easy to snack while you're here! :bigsmile:
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too...but only when I'm bored. I realized that after 7pm when I'm sitting around watching the prime time shows I just feel the urge to snack! I realized it's because I'm not doing anything. I'm just bored! So I hop on this message board and start reading (and watching tv at the same time) and the next thing I know, it's bedtime! I just started on this site, so there's tons of back posts that I enjoy reading through, plus it inspires and motivates me at the same time!
  • tmarianne
    Options
    It's the worst when I'm sitting around with family at night and they're eating popcorn, ice cream and all kinds of bad things like that!
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    For the passed two weeks I stoped workoing out with dvds and started running and playing with my son. It's alot of fun and I don't notice that I am burning calories. Before though I was religiously doing my cardio workouts and then got fed up and went on a 2 week cheat and barelly exercising. What I'm trying to tell you is that you need to find something you love to do, whether it's playing soccer, running, dancing or whatever. It as to be something you are looking forward to do so that you can change you lifestyle and keep a good routine. Good luck!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have always been an emotional eater. One thing you need to learn is how to stop your cycle. Your basicaly running in a circle and you just need to find another route!! At first you may need help from others. I had to ask my family for help. I needed a snap to get me out of my food trance. My family would ask me when I would get into the cupboard what I was doing. The question they asked over and over was ARE YOU HUNGRY. I can now hear it in my head when I look at the food. Then they would ask when was the last time I ate and what it was. THis basicaly distracted me from the emotion I was eating for. I know its not the best route for everyone but it helps me!! Now I can see it myself and I make the choice to stop. Im not an emotional zombi looking for a filling lol. Message me whenever you need!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Do you own any exercise equipment, even handweights? Maybe you could occupy yourself with those things while your family's snacking.
  • tmarianne
    Options
    Do you own any exercise equipment, even handweights? Maybe you could occupy yourself with those things while your family's snacking.

I do have a treadmill and weights, exercise dvds etc lying around the house so I really have no excuse to not be exercising, I just can't seem to find something that I love.

I hate that I dread doing my 30 minutes of jogging each day
  • chelseachick
    Options
    you have won have the battle. At seven teen you know that you are an emotioanl eater; you know you don't like it; and you're wondering how to change. YOU WILL SUCCEED because you're wondering about all the right things and because you want something different. You can and will succeed. Now you just need to "know" that you can do it. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    It's the worst when I'm sitting around with family at night and they're eating popcorn, ice cream and all kinds of bad things like that!

My boyfriend often works until 9pm (after I've finished eating for the day) and comes home and makes something super yummy that smells amazing- SO tempting:grumble: . Sometimes, I save a few calories and have a small snack with him (piece of fruit, laughing cow ice cream, etc.), and other times I just find something else to do- read a magazine in the bubble bath, watch tv in the other room, or, if it's late enough (it's 10:48pm for example, and he's just now cooking dinner) I go to bed for the night. Out of sight, out of mind. I hope this helps... I'm off to bed. Tomorrow's another day :happy:
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    someone once told me, you don't have to lose a hundred pounds one time..you have to lose one pound a hundred times. For me..that makes it seem a little easier when I think of it that way. One pound at a time. Hang in there. And best of luck to you. :D
  • coliechacer
    coliechacer Posts: 105
    Options
    Hey girl...I had similar issue's and still do! When i was in highschool i didnt really talk to anyone i had one good friend never had a boyfriend. I would to make me feel no pain inside i also never really had anything to do besides work and i worked at Wendys boy that made it worse! When i graduated I was 218 and i am only 5'1 i was in a size 20. So one day i just said enough I started eating better cutting breads and just having the burger with cheese and for snack i would have apples with fat free peanut butter... It was hard work I would walk every chance i got.... After a year of working hard at in i was down to 155.... Well after that i meet my now baby father lol gained 85lb when i was prego and back in the same boat now i an now 153 and just keep trying to stay on track i find its so much harder now then before to stay focused...I am just trying to say if i can do it you can girl
  • tmarianne
    Options
    thank you for all the support!

started over today, put it all behind me and it's going well so far :smile:
    one day at a time
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Tackle one thing at a time ...you seem to have several things you want to change for starters ..figure out how you will avoid snacking with family or choose alternate snacks instead like cucumbers....then move on to things like your excercise and calorie counting....doing to much is overwhelming. Get a notepad and write your goals down and your plan of attack....I wish you luck!!:drinker: