I HRM or MFP more accurate?

Options
I have a heart rate monitor but it doesn't tell me how many calories I burned. It will only tell me my average heart rate and how long I worked out. When I use a HRM calculator to find calories burned it says I burned nearly 100 calories more than what MFP says.
So what is more accurate from your experience?

Replies

• jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    HRM In my opinion, and my HRM says about 100 or more so than MFP database does, so your site is probably real close :happy:
  • merrick7871
    Options
    I always just go with the monitor. In my experience, with my exercise routines sometimes MFP would be higher and other routines my HRM would be higher. So, I stay with the monitor and figure it to be a good average.
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    HRM, mine tells me the amount of calories i burned and i thought it was wrong because the machines i was using at the gym would tell me a much higher number, but as long as your hrm asks you age, height, workout level, and gender it should be accurate
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    HRM. MFP always overestimates for me. I think a good rule to follow is, pick the lower one of the two.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Duplicate post, sorry!
  • nukehiker
    Options
    A HRM is more accurate especially if you have or get one that has a chest strap with it. I have the polar ft4 it's awesome. the web site is based on a formula and not personal performance such as a HRM, we all burn calories differently.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I actually found MFP to be more accurate. I have a HRM and used to where it for workouts. Then I got a BodyBugg and wore that for workouts. For the actual time of activity, MFP was pretty close to my body bugg output. BUT! MFP does not consider your after burn. The wonderful effect of your high heart rate and calorie burn even after you have finished your workout, cooled down and showered up. So in some way, the extra calories my HRM counted during the actual workout evened out over the course of the day.
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    HRM, mine tells me the amount of calories i burned and i thought it was wrong because the machines i was using at the gym would tell me a much higher number, but as long as your hrm asks you age, height, workout level, and gender it should be accurate

I never fill anything out on my HRM about age height ect. It just has the chest strap I wear that tracks my heart reate. The website I uses asks for age and stuff though. Is that OK if the HRM doesn't?
  • yeroc39
    Options
    If you have an hrm that counts calories burned, you MUST enter the particular person information about yourself. The combination of personal information and the intensity (heart rate) is what gives you accurate calorie counting. That's why products like teh Bodybug are not accurate for calories. If 2 people put in the same information and do the same thing, they wil get the same calories. And you know that's not accurate. The heart rate is what fine tunes the calory measurements to you, and that needs your personal data.
  • NoemiPE
    NoemiPE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go with whatever tracking device dials into your individual stats. I use a power meter & an hrm. In your case, go with the hrm.