Side for tuna melt

Options
Can anyone recommend a healthy side to have with a tuna melt? No salads, I'm having a lot of salads this week....not too keen on having soup either. I know I'm being difficult, but I'm hoping for some different ideas.

I tend to eat the same things each week, and Tuna Melts are nice and easy on Fridays (planning ahead) and for the last several weeks I've had baked potato, but I'm sick of that. Any ideas?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a healthy side to have with a tuna melt? No salads, I'm having a lot of salads this week....not too keen on having soup either. I know I'm being difficult, but I'm hoping for some different ideas.

I tend to eat the same things each week, and Tuna Melts are nice and easy on Fridays (planning ahead) and for the last several weeks I've had baked potato, but I'm sick of that. Any ideas?
  • krystad
    krystad Posts: 28
    Options
    whole wheat couscous with baby tomatoes and fresh parsley a splash of olive oil and a pinch of garlic powder and lemon juice to taste, one of my top five, but easy on the couscous it is about 150 calories for 1/4 cup! but worth it!!
  • EducatedVegan
    Options
    mmm... I also make couscous like all the time, with sliced baby tomatoes and all... except mine's always very curry-happy :-)

When I saw tuna melt though, I immediately thought of baking sweet potato fries, or regular fries, with a good seasoning blend- cajun, lemon pepper, etc. Sweet potato fries are especially good curried. :tongue:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    whole wheat couscous with baby tomatoes and fresh parsley a splash of olive oil and a pinch of garlic powder and lemon juice to taste, one of my top five, but easy on the couscous it is about 150 calories for 1/4 cup! but worth it!!

Hmm, I've always wondered about couscous but I've never tried it. Is it possible to describe the taste?
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Marinated vegetables are a good side for just about anything. Use olive oil and some balsamic or red wine vinegar. Fresh fruit salad is refreshing and satisfying also.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Why not have a pickle, or some peppered cabbage? (so long as you're not watching salt)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Baked Sweet Potato Fries Homemade or Butter Nut Squash Fries sprinkled with cinnamon
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Steamfresh veggies, there are tons of varieties. I eat them as a side with everything.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Watermelon or strawberries. They're both so good right now and the sweet crunch would be a nice balance to the tang of the tuna.
  • yogiaidan12
    Options
    i personally love peaches and strawberries with just about anything.
    i get these little 70 calorie fruit cups and freeze them. once frozen fully
    heat it up for about 30 seconds and enjoy! they are delicious!
  • krystad
    krystad Posts: 28
    Options
    i think the closest i can come to describing it is a cross between brown rice and brown pasta, i also sometimes cook my in low sodium chicken broth instead of water. i also just had for the first time quinoa, it tastes very similar to couscous...try it it may be your new favorite!