Caloric Intake Results

Options

Replies

• mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    And if you want to perform like a champ, you gotta eat like one, too! :happy:

YES!!! This!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is why i always say food is fuel. Bodies need a lot of fuel to burn a lot. Sometimes math defies logic which is hard for people. Its also why i push people to increase lean muscle mass because muscle destroys fat.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That is really interesting, thank you for that.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Where can i get accurate LBM reading? (i'm in the UK)
  • psuLemon
    Options

I would suggest going to a gym or doctors office and asking if they can do a skin fold test to capture body fat. I would recommend not getting a bioimpedance machine reading (it's a hand held device or scale). Once you get your body fat % then you can calculate LBM, formula below

LBM = Weight - (Weight * Body fat %) <
    This is in LBS not KG.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It saddens me that a post like this get 22 replies...but a post on HCG diets or "eating back exercise cals" gets like a bazillion
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It saddens me that a post like this get 22 replies...but a post on HCG diets or "eating back exercise cals" gets like a bazillion

true dat... Maybe i should change the title to "HCG, is it good for me?" .

Unfortunately, when it comes to legitimate data or scientific data, people tend to stray as they don't understand or want to hear it. Oh well, I tried and that is how I look at it.
  • hottottie11
    Options
    Apparently Marketing schemes > science based nutritional facts around these parts
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Apparently Marketing schemes > science based nutritional facts are these parts

Well in the end, we will be the ones rocking six packs and looking hot (well you already are, I am almost there, need to lose about another 4% body fat.)
  • hottottie11
    Options
    Apparently Marketing schemes > science based nutritional facts are these parts

Well in the end, we will be the ones rocking six packs and looking hot (well you already are, I am almost there, need to lose about another 4% body fat.)

lol thank you! Shoot I still got about 3% to go, but I'm in no rush lol
  • melbelle32
    melbelle32 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kaitlynnme
    kaitlynnme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very very interesting information! Thank you for taking the time to do this. This info and the thread about women eating 2000 calories a day has really been an eye opener for me.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Me too, thank you for doing this study! Wish everyone would read it!
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think it's impressive that you organized a study and reported on it. I'm a big fan of the scientific method, so, props. :drinker:

I also think the findings themselves are interesting. I never would've thought to multiply a caloric need by LBM rather than by bodyweight, but when you think about it, it MAKES SENSE! Why would fat need more calories? Bah! I redid my calculations based on that and I think I'm still on target with where I think my maintenance should be (1800 cal/day). Happy for more confirmation that I'm within the right range. :)

Thanks for this post!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I would suggest going to a gym or doctors office and asking if they can do a skin fold test to capture body fat. I would recommend not getting a bioimpedance machine reading (it's a hand held device or scale). Once you get your body fat % then you can calculate LBM, formula below

LBM = Weight - (Weight * Body fat %) <
    This is in LBS not KG.

You can also just guess, or let people on the board guess, or use the online calculators. It doesn't have to be an accurate number to give you an idea.
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Great job on the data! And thanks for sharing.

I think traditional fears keep many people from trying out/accepting the Eat More philosophy. Lose weight is the first priority. People don't think about the muscle mass lost until they find out at goal weight they have flabby muscles and lack strength. Women don't want to look bulky, so they shun the idea of "lifting weights." They don't understand that building muscle helps burn calories. And to build muscles, you have to EAT.

"Food is fuel" and I agree. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great job on the data! And thanks for sharing.

I think traditional fears keep many people from trying out/accepting the Eat More philosophy. Lose weight is the first priority. People don't think about the muscle mass lost until they find out at goal weight they have flabby muscles and lack strength. Women don't want to look bulky, so they shun the idea of "lifting weights." They don't understand that building muscle helps burn calories. And to build muscles, you have to EAT.

"Food is fuel" and I agree. :smile:

And that was me a few years ago. I drastically cut calories, struggled to get down to 130#, and was so disappointed that I still had back fat rolls and a tummy pooch. So I quit. I knew I could maintain a slightly higher weight easily, and it wasn't worth feeling deprived to weigh ~15# less, especially if I didn't look any better in a bikini (or less).

This time around, with a more modest deficit and regular exercise, I looked leaner and fit in the same clothes at 140 as I did at 130 before. And by 130, I was able to fit (ok, squeeze!) into clothes I wore in high school (more than 20 years ago) at 110#! I wouldn't say I've really built much muscle (yet) but I haven't lost a lot as I lost weight.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Interesting study. Thanks for posting.

This basically verifies that my calorie goal isn't too low. At about 130lbs and 30% body fat, that means 91lbs LBM, and I should be eating ~1380 calories. My goal is 1200 calories, and I can eat more if I burn calories exercising.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Anyone wanna guess my LBM? I've a few pics up.

27 years old
    5ft
    53.4kg (thereabouts!)

27.5 waist
    37.5 hips
    20 thigh
    11 bicep
    28 bust