Best Pre-Race Meal?

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am running in a 5K this weekend. (Yes- November 5K in Wisconsin = Crazy!!) Does anyone have any good suggestions for the best pre-race meal for Friday night. I haven't been running a ton so I don't want to get the mid-race stomach ache :explode: if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 4miler on Thanksgiving and I live in Maine?!?! I think I am going to have regular food the night before and then an english muffin with peanut butter the morning of with a whey chocolate drink at the end. yum :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything special the night before or morning (5k isn't that long). For the 5k I'm running Thanksgiving I'm going to have some yogurt and a piece of whole wheat protein biscotti I make for breakfast followed by some water and hot apple cider for the finishers when I'm done.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Don't eat anything you haven't eaten before any other time you run.
    I typically stick with grilled chicken and a baked potato.

Same thing for morning of. Nothing new.
    I eat a half english muffin or piece of toast with peanut butter.

Good luck!! Have fun!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, eat pasta!
    When my son was in cross country in high school, they all went out the night before a meet, with the coach, and had a big pasta dinner. I have done it myself and it really does boost your energy.

An article from Coolrunning.com...

Just as there is no miracle training plan that can prepare you for a marathon in a week, there are no crash diets (or vitamins or supplements or sports drinks) that can magically deliver wildly enhanced performance in a week, either. Still, a few dietary tweaks in the days before a big race or long training run can give runners an extra edge. In the same way that you adjust your training program as race day approaches, you can also adjust your diet to make sure your body is fueled to capacity.

This dietary "taper" should begin about the same time you start to taper your mileage in anticipation of a race or run -- about seven days for a marathon and four days for 10K races or less. The approach is straightforward: keep doing more of the same by eating lots of carbohydrates, low fat and moderate protein. As always, pasta, potatoes, and bread should be your staples, but now they should take an exaggerated place in your diet. As you reduce your mileage, however, be sure to reduce your calorie intake, too. For most runners, this means eating about 100 calories less per day for every mile that you drop.

Carbo-loading>

This is carbo-loading time. It is an important period to stock your energy reserves to their max, but don't make too much of the process. Some elite runners, for example, will race hard about seven days before the target race day to deplete their glucogen stores, then train normally for three or four days, eating mostly fats and protein to keep glycogen low. Then in the last few days before the race, they pack as many carbohydrates into their system as they possibly can. The theory is that their muscles are so starved for glycogen that they will soak up even more carbos than they normally would, giving them extra energy for the race. We do not recommend this for the mainstream runner -- certainly not without the oversight of a dietitian. Too often, this approach can backfire and leave you out of gas midway through the race.

Instead, follow your normal balanced diet and kick in some extra carbohydates in the week before a race. Fruit juices and sports drinks are good carbo supplements if you're having trouble eating all that pasta. Try not to miss meals, but also try to avoid overeating. Balance and consistency are particularly important as the big run approaches. For the same reason, this is not a time to sample new cuisines or even a new sports drink. Eat foods that you know agree with you.

About two days before a race, particularly longer runs, start loading up on fluids. Sports drinks can kill two birds with one stone by letting you get carbos at the same time. Try to stay away from alcohol, however, since it not only dehydrates you but also interferes with proper storage of glycogen and undercuts your carbo-loading.

In the last 48 hours, avoid high-fiber foods like beans, bran cereals, lettuce and broccoli to avoid an upset stomach or other gastrointestinal discomfort during your run. Avoid hard-to-digest foods like peanut butter, fried food and the like. If possible, cut back on dairy products, too. Some runners have a slight lactose intolerance; while they may not even be aware of the condition on a day-to-day basis, the strenuous effort (and constant sloshing) of a race can cause their bodies to rebel against the lactose in the milk, causing gas and bloating.

By the end of the day before the run, your high-carbo diet should have worked its magic and topped off your glycogen stores. You should snack moderately and frequently on familiar, mild foods. Drink water and juice constantly. For your final meal that night, eat moderately and go for food that contains -- you guessed it -- lots of carbohydrates and only a little fat. Skip the beer or wine and get to bed early.

Race day diet>

On the morning of the big day, have a light breakfast; a bagel and some fruit juice is ideal. Don't eat any solid food for three hours before the run, just water (a good rule of thumb for any run when you really plan to push yourself).

During the race itself, staying hydrated is most important. Drink some fluids every 20 minutes (be sure to review our tips for drinking on the run). For races over an hour, you should plan to snack along the way to keep your energy up. Try to get about 25 grams of carbohydrates every thirty minutes and stick with a sports drink or easily digested foods like sports bars or gels, bananas, orange slices, or even a piece of candy. Whatever you eat, be sure you have tried it before during a practice run. Everyone's stomach reacts differently to different foods, and a race is not the best time to discover that a new sports bar doesn't agree with you.

After the race, drink plenty of water and get some food into yourself as soon as possible. Carbo-reloading is as important as the carbo-loading before a race, particularly for runs over an hour. Try to have a bagel, a cup of soup or a sports bar in the fifteen minutes after you stop running. It's in this window of time that your muscles will absorb the glycogen most readily. Your muscles are hungry, feed them. If your run was over 90 minutes, be sure to graze frequently on high-carb foods for the next 24 hours, since it will take a while to restore your depleted reserves. By the end of that next day you should be back to normal and ready to ramp up for the next big race or training run.
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K on Thanksgiving as well. Thanks for this post because I hadn't thought too much about what to eat the morning of the race. :smile:
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When my son was in cross country in high school, they all went out the night before a meet, with the coach, and had a big pasta dinner. I have done it myself and it really does boost your energy.

I followed this advice last weekend. It was my second 5k ever! I had a high carb dinner then just a Cliff bar for breakfast a couple of hours before my race. Not only did I have my personal best time, I placed in my age category! It may have had nothing to do with the carbs but just in case....this will be my ritual.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do pasta and turkey meatballs with a nice fresh marinara sauce.the night before. Protein plus carbs helps me the next day..Nothing new and I keep the seasoning low,
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For morning pre race, I eat two multigrain Eggo Waffles with a Simply fruit spread..maybe a banana if still hungry. Tea not coffee. Keeps my stomach calm. Again, bland works for me.
  • gossja23
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This will be my 6th 5K (and I did one 1/2 marathon).

This list is for my sake so I can remember! LOL
    July 2009 Wild Rose, WI 5K
    April 2010 Lake Mills, WI 5K
    June 2010 Baraboo, WI 5K
    August 2010 Watertown, WI 5K
    October 2010 Chicago, IL 5K
    April 2011 Wautoma, WI 1/2 Marathon

**November 2011 Lake Geneva, WI 5K

I usually just eat normal the night before, but thought you guys might have some ideas for a little boost! I was right! My best time was just over 26 minutes however, this weekend it is a trail run. Just curious...what state/s are you guys doing your Thanksgiving Turkey Trots/Races??
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    carbs...............carbs.........carbs....and a little protein and pedialite or gatorade for electrolytes. dont want to eat anything tooo dense the night before since your body is sitll digesting or the morning of
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Just curious...what state/s are you guys doing your Thanksgiving Turkey Trots/Races??

Portland, Maine and it is a 4 miler
  • yeroc39
    Options
    People get very caught up in carbo loading, almost too much in fact. The idea is to maintain a good mix of carbs and protein and some fat throughout your training. For a 5K event, its not about totally loading yourself with mega carbs. Eat a good sensible meal, not too filling, especially for a 5K. Eat about 60% carbs but don't overlook the protein too.

In the morning make sure you again eat something you can digest. You should try to eat 2 hours or more before the race to totally digest and make available what you have eaten. But keep in mind, these are all just basic guidelines. There is no absolute startegy, just some common sense. I raced for years and actually set a 5K PR and didn't eat anything that morning, and also set a half ironman PR and ate 2 large desserts the night before. So just follow the guidelines and understand there is no absolute right.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

An article from Coolrunning.com...

Just as there is no miracle training plan that can prepare you for a marathon in a week, there are no crash diets (or vitamins or supplements or sports drinks) that can magically deliver wildly enhanced performance in a week, either. Still, a few dietary tweaks in the days before a big race or long training run can give runners an extra edge. In the same way that you adjust your training program as race day approaches, you can also adjust your diet to make sure your body is fueled to capacity.

This dietary "taper" should begin about the same time you start to taper your mileage in anticipation of a race or run -- about seven days for a marathon and four days for 10K races or less. The approach is straightforward: keep doing more of the same by eating lots of carbohydrates, low fat and moderate protein. As always, pasta, potatoes, and bread should be your staples, but now they should take an exaggerated place in your diet. As you reduce your mileage, however, be sure to reduce your calorie intake, too. For most runners, this means eating about 100 calories less per day for every mile that you drop.

Carbo-loading>

This is carbo-loading time. It is an important period to stock your energy reserves to their max, but don't make too much of the process. Some elite runners, for example, will race hard about seven days before the target race day to deplete their glucogen stores, then train normally for three or four days, eating mostly fats and protein to keep glycogen low. Then in the last few days before the race, they pack as many carbohydrates into their system as they possibly can. The theory is that their muscles are so starved for glycogen that they will soak up even more carbos than they normally would, giving them extra energy for the race. We do not recommend this for the mainstream runner -- certainly not without the oversight of a dietitian. Too often, this approach can backfire and leave you out of gas midway through the race.

Instead, follow your normal balanced diet and kick in some extra carbohydates in the week before a race. Fruit juices and sports drinks are good carbo supplements if you're having trouble eating all that pasta. Try not to miss meals, but also try to avoid overeating. Balance and consistency are particularly important as the big run approaches. For the same reason, this is not a time to sample new cuisines or even a new sports drink. Eat foods that you know agree with you.

About two days before a race, particularly longer runs, start loading up on fluids. Sports drinks can kill two birds with one stone by letting you get carbos at the same time. Try to stay away from alcohol, however, since it not only dehydrates you but also interferes with proper storage of glycogen and undercuts your carbo-loading.

In the last 48 hours, avoid high-fiber foods like beans, bran cereals, lettuce and broccoli to avoid an upset stomach or other gastrointestinal discomfort during your run. Avoid hard-to-digest foods like peanut butter, fried food and the like. If possible, cut back on dairy products, too. Some runners have a slight lactose intolerance; while they may not even be aware of the condition on a day-to-day basis, the strenuous effort (and constant sloshing) of a race can cause their bodies to rebel against the lactose in the milk, causing gas and bloating.

By the end of the day before the run, your high-carbo diet should have worked its magic and topped off your glycogen stores. You should snack moderately and frequently on familiar, mild foods. Drink water and juice constantly. For your final meal that night, eat moderately and go for food that contains -- you guessed it -- lots of carbohydrates and only a little fat. Skip the beer or wine and get to bed early.

Race day diet>

On the morning of the big day, have a light breakfast; a bagel and some fruit juice is ideal. Don't eat any solid food for three hours before the run, just water (a good rule of thumb for any run when you really plan to push yourself).

During the race itself, staying hydrated is most important. Drink some fluids every 20 minutes (be sure to review our tips for drinking on the run). For races over an hour, you should plan to snack along the way to keep your energy up. Try to get about 25 grams of carbohydrates every thirty minutes and stick with a sports drink or easily digested foods like sports bars or gels, bananas, orange slices, or even a piece of candy. Whatever you eat, be sure you have tried it before during a practice run. Everyone's stomach reacts differently to different foods, and a race is not the best time to discover that a new sports bar doesn't agree with you.

After the race, drink plenty of water and get some food into yourself as soon as possible. Carbo-reloading is as important as the carbo-loading before a race, particularly for runs over an hour. Try to have a bagel, a cup of soup or a sports bar in the fifteen minutes after you stop running. It's in this window of time that your muscles will absorb the glycogen most readily. Your muscles are hungry, feed them. If your run was over 90 minutes, be sure to graze frequently on high-carb foods for the next 24 hours, since it will take a while to restore your depleted reserves. By the end of that next day you should be back to normal and ready to ramp up for the next big race or training run.

This is a great article thanks for sharing!
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Massachusetts, where it's cold as well! lol
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    For my 5K, I ate a Vanilla Almond Luna Bar about an hour before and had a personal best.
    For my 4.5mi race, I ate a Vanilla Almond Luna bar about an hour before and had a personal best.
    For my 10K, I ate 14g of low sodium pretzels before I left the house, then a Vanilla Almond Luna Bar about an hour before and had a personal best.

I didn't eat any differently the days leading up to any of the races than I normally do. I don't plan on doing any kind of additional carb eating until I'm deeper into my longer run days of my Half Marathon run training next spring. There's just no reason to with short runs like that because your body just doesn't deplete glycogen stores that fast.
  • erica714
    erica714 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    They have a 5k in Lake Geneva this weekend? Wish I would have known, :cry: I would have signed up for that one too! I am doing a 4 mile turkey trot in Burlington, WI on Thanksgiving Day :smile: